Favotite Deluxe Resort

ParentsOf4

What's your favorite Deluxe Resort? Why? Try to be specific. They all have "great theming", "great pools", and "great restaurants". What specifically do you like about the theming, pools, restaurants, etc.?

P.S. I intentionally excluded DVC.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
For the longest time it was the Boardwalk- I loved the location and the fact that there was always something going on there. It was very "alive.".

Then I started staying at the DAK Lodge and absolutely fell in love with the place. I love their lobby, the atmosphere, the feel of the resort, and I love waking up and looking out on to the savannah every morning. I'm DVC now and I always try to book the Lodge if it's available.

Upvote 0

rob0519

This was a difficult choice between the Polynesian and the Contemporary , but the Contemporary won out.
There really is not much theming at the resort. In fact, the first floor lobby and the rooms look more like a Hyatt than a Disney property. That however, is where the comparison ends. How can anyone who has stayed at the CR with an MK view say it is not their favorite? You wake up, look out the window and there is the MK. At night, if you choose, you can watch wishes from your own balcony. Additionally, you can take the monorail or a boat to the MK with no problem. I do wish they still had the 24 hour food court. That is the one advantage of the Polynesian, Captain Cooks.

Upvote 0

afar28

I've only stayed at Animal Kingdom lodge, but have been to all of them multiple times. I go to the Wilderness lodge each year for dinner at the Wispering Canyon and absolutely am in love with the design. Great lobby, great balcony view, and amazing food

Upvote 0

smw

so tough. growing up it was the grand floridian for me... but at some point it lost its appeal. polynesian is amazing and it has the bonus of being where i got engaged... but the contemporary wins for me. the grand canyon concourse is really something special to me, though i'm not quite sure why. probably a mix of memories and nostalgia over the years. maybe its the communal, hypothetically-futuristic feel of opening your door and looking down to see people shopping, eating, boarding the monorail...

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Well our 5 trips since 2004 have all been mods.To be honest because we stay for 14 nights it's way to expensive for us,however for our next trip in 2014 I have promised DW & DS that we will save real hard and stay at a deluxe.I've done my nosey thing and visited AK and WL so if I had my choice it would be WL for the setting,the boat to MK,and the rest.:)

Upvote 0

rkelly42

I think every deluxe resort if fantastic in its own way depending on what kind of resorte experience you are looking for. I personally find poly more laid back and relaxing, not to mention O'hanas and kona and the beaches with great views of wishes and ewp. Also I find it easy to get to epcot and mk from the resort with a short walk to TTC makes any easy option to get to epcot on the monorail.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

The ones I've stayed at in order of preference:

1.Wilderness Lodge - Best theme throughout the resort. The resort always seems absolutely spotless to me. It smells great inside. Best lobby by a mile. Restaurants are all very good. Though not the biggest pool, my favorite at WDW. Best hot tubs as well. Transportation is as good as any other Deluxe. Rooms are a bit smaller, but the price is less, so it's a wash. Also, of all the DVC's I've seen or stayed at, the Villas here are far and away the nicest.

2.Grand Floridian - Though I've only eaten at the food court, Grand Floridian cafe and V&A's, I love the food here. The front desk is a bit snooty, so that's a minus. The grounds, though not as pristine as Wilderness Lodge, are very clean. Rooms, though not as big as the Poly's, are the best appointed we've stayed at. Very clean, excellent mousekeeping. Transportation is so-so, but that's par for the monorail resorts. Lobby is beautiful, and it's lovely to sit down at night listening to the band.

3.Boardwalk - We've only stayed at the Villas, so can't comment much on mousekeeping, but the resort itself is fantastic. Close between #2 and #3. Honestly, though there are many restaurants to choose from, food isn't a big pull here for us. We love the bakery and ice cream shop. ESPN is crap. Haven't tried the other restaurants yet. Pool area is great. Location is awesome. Very friendly CM's, and a wonderfully executed theme. Nightlife with performers on the Boardwalk is great.

4.Polynesian - I used to love the Poly more than I do now. For over $400 per night, there should be no cobwebs around the resort, let alone as many as there are here. The lobby is nice, but the new air freshener they're pumping in is nasty. Front desk is not very helpful. Rooms are beautiful and large, though need better maintaining. Mousekeeping just OK. Food is very good, though our last experience at 'Ohana was pretty bad. The beach is lovely and the views are great. Location is awesome. Public areas aren't bad, but again, cobwebs and dirty windows are unacceptable at this price point. Also, pool is way too small for a resort with almost 1,000 rooms.

5.Yacht Club - Hated this resort. We had rude, poor service from the moment we checked in. Bus service was awful. We were given a lousy non-water view room even though we paid for a water view. They moved us, but to the very end of the hotel with a tiny balcony that you could barely see from. Honestly, it was just about the service. It was very poor. In it's defense, the Unofficial Guide says as of last year it has improved.

We're staying at the Beach Club next July. I would like to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge one day, but it's just a bit far out of the way. Really have no desire to stay at the Contemporary.

Upvote 0

DrummerAlly

We've stayed at the Yacht Club and Animal Kingdom Lodge (and visited several others). We absolutely loved the YC - we felt very spoiled there but when you factor in price, its the AKL hands down. The theming and service are just incredible and we feel its certainly the best value among the deluxe resorts when you factor in price.

Upvote 0

KCheatle

By far, the Wilderness is my favorite. To be fair, I've never stayed at the Epcot Deluxes or AK, but I have stayed at all of the MK deluxes. The best thing about WL is the size. It is soooooo easy to walk from point A to point B in that resort - which is really unheard of in Disney. And the transportation to MK can't be beat. There is nothing nicer than ending your long, exhausting day at MK and walking right out the exit down to a boat. I've stayed at all of the monorail resorts, and the boat ride is by far the easiest and most convenient way to get back to the resort. We never waited in line and really only had to walk about 50 feet. I would say the bus service is the same as all the deluxes - always have a seat, never wait too long. But, my family goes to MK almost every day, so that boat service really can't be beat. In fact, it was so easy, we would take the boat to MK or the contemp to hop on the mono to Epcot because it was so fast. I would bet the buses were faster by a smidge, but we like arriving at Epcot on the mono, so the fact that it was that easy to just get to the mono was a big bonus for us. We also love sitting on our balcony at night and watching the waterfall down into the pool. We also love leaving the door open a smidge at night so we can wake up to that sound too. Ahh....the WL! I miss you!!

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
What's your favorite Deluxe Resort? Why? Try to be specific. They all have "great theming", "great pools", and "great restaurants". What specifically do you like about the theming, pools, restaurants, etc.?

P.S. I intentionally excluded DVC.

Grand Floridian. I love the entire atmosphere. It takes me to another time. I love the peacefulness and the grandeur of the resort. Being on a monorail for me is also key. Although I think other Deluxe Resorts have other pools, there is something about the Grand Floridian that just does it for me. The next one for me is Yacht Club - access to Epcot and the pool are great!

Upvote 0

DougK

When I first saw the Contemporary on TV in 1971 with the monorail running through it I thought I would never be able to stay there. My parents certainly weren't going to take me and I had no way of going on my own because I was only 15 years old. Well it took me until 2006 but I finally made it! Been there several times since too, we just love it!

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Wow, so far no votes for the Yacht Club.

Now there is. ;)

I've stayed at the Contemporary, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, and Yacht Club. Of these Yacht Club was my favorite. I liked the decor of the room, understated elegant in a light way. Beautiful yet intimate and warm lobby. Location rocks. Stormalong Bay requires no explanation. It can't be beat. Captain's Grill breakfast. Had excellent service from check-in to check-out. Very relaxing...found ourselves in the parks every day wishing we were back at the resort hanging out there. It just felt like the perfect fit for me. :D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom