Favorite Memory of Disney everyone says couldn't've happened, but you swear it did!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This memory refers to a ride I swear I rode several times when I was fairly young at Disneyland in the late 70s/early 80s. It was an omnivore ride with a ride vehicle exactly like the haunted mansion. I don't remember the name, only that there were images of snowflakes and somehow you seemed to go through a microscope and then saw a large eyeball looking at you. My parents have no idea what I'm talking about but I swear we rode it every year we went to DL!!

NelleBelle

Yes!! That's it! Totally telling my parents they were the one's who were wrong! :D

ETA: I loved that ride--wish they had left it :(

Last edited:

DisneyDoctor

I remember when I was young and the cast members working in Hollywood ToT and Haunted Mansion really sold their roles, or at least I thought they did. Maybe it was the theming of the rides, but I remember them actually scaring me. When I've gone recently, the cast members didn't seem as "into it," if that makes sense. Maybe my imagination was simply at work more as a child and I imagined them really selling their roles. Or, more pessimistically, maybe the cast members working when I've ridden more recently didn't care as much.

Hayley In Wonderland

Of course I know this could not have happened due to WDW not having it, but I remember going into an Alice's Curious Labyrinth. I did go to DLP as a kid and that's probably where I am getting muddled, but from my memory it was always at WDW!

Hayley In Wonderland

I remember when I was young and the cast members working in Hollywood ToT and Haunted Mansion really sold their roles, or at least I thought they did. Maybe it was the theming of the rides, but I remember them actually scaring me. When I've gone recently, the cast members didn't seem as "into it," if that makes sense. Maybe my imagination was simply at work more as a child and I imagined them really selling their roles. Or, more pessimistically, maybe the cast members working when I've ridden more recently didn't care as much.

I went to DLP in June and rode ToT a few times. The first couple of times the CM's were just acting normally, but the last time we went on it the CM was amazing! He really sold the ride, he was super creepy and even looked the part. Maybe you just had CM's who didn't really enjoy the role play?

DisneyDoctor

I went to DLP in June and rode ToT a few times. The first couple of times the CM's were just acting normally, but the last time we went on it the CM was amazing! He really sold the ride, he was super creepy and even looked the part. Maybe you just had CM's who didn't really enjoy the role play?
I think you're right. But, that's pretty sad. If I had the time to work at Disney through the CP and had the opportunity to be a CM at Haunted Mansion, I would embrace it everyday and really try to change a guests experience for the better. Times are changing, though, and that sort of thought isn't valued as much.

SoManyWasps

I think you're right. But, that's pretty sad. If I had the time to work at Disney through the CP and had the opportunity to be a CM at Haunted Mansion, I would embrace it everyday and really try to change a guests experience for the better. Times are changing, though, and that sort of thought isn't valued as much.
That's an across the board issue though. People in large feel detached from their work in 2017, and Disney CMs are no exception. It's hard to care about your work if it's not full time, inadequately compensated, poorly instructed, and high stress. Unfortunately, most work places are deliberately designed not to meet these needs in 2017.

DisneyDoctor

That's an across the board issue though. People in large feel detached from their work in 2017, and Disney CMs are no exception. It's hard to care about your work if it's not full time, inadequately compensated, poorly instructed, and high stress. Unfortunately, most work places are deliberately designed not to meet these needs in 2017.
Truuuuu.

ninjaprincesst

I could swear that at one point if you turn into the right room after the GMR movie. The one with all the props and stuff. That there would be a couple animatronics that would talk to you about movies and stuff. But people told me this never happened.
did there used to be all sorts of who framed roger rabbit stuff at the studios somewhere?
Yes there was near the Backlot tour.

ninjaprincesst

I remember waiting in line for over an hour for a boat ride in AK the year it opened. None of my family remembers this and call me nuts even though I know those boats were there.:brick:
You are 100 percent correct, it did not last long but it was there, the King Louie and Baloo meet and greet is at what used to be one of the loading/unloading docks.

SirWillow

Had someone (on these boards in fact) try to tell me that a bad experience I had while working at Magic Kingdom with a tour group didn't happen, that it was part of a years old myth.

Wish it had my imagination. It certainly wasn't a story I had heard up to that point, and I never would have dreamed up something like it. Somethings can't be forgotten or unseen...

Incomudro

My dad took the family to WDW the year it opened, where I was introduced to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
Both the ride, and the story itself - which I was unaware of 'till then. (I was in third grade.)
A year or two later, my father took the family on a California vacation where we visited Disneyland.
There I rode 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea again.
Or so I thought.
A couple of years ago I had some of my dad's 8mm footage that included that trip - transferred to DVD.
I was shocked to see that the subs were not the Jules Verne/Hopper Goff subs!
Particularly surprised because of how much an impact the Hopper Goff subs had on me when I first saw them - I remember the moment with my dad telling me about Captain Nemo.
How did I not remember that the California subs were different?

Walt Disney1955

When I first rode Thunder Mountain I could have sworn up and down that I almost had my head cut off going into the cave. Obviously upon closer inspection even as an adult I know I am nowhere near having my head get hit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom