Favorite era of WDW's HM?

xFoolishMortalx

Original Poster
So, I was just wondering which era of the WDW HM was your favorite. By era I mean 70s, 80s, 90s, pre 2007 refurb, or present. Personally for me, it would be pre-2007 refurb. I first rode the mansion in the year 2004 and specifically remember being scared half to death of the attic pop-ups. Good times. What about you guys?

xFoolishMortalx

Original Poster
It's not as if the rides been radically altered since 1971.... Just plussed here n there.

Though I do miss the rubber spiders.

Not too drastically, however to me these subtle changes effect the overall atmosphere of the attraction, an example being the repaint of the facade for the 2007 refurb. Before then, to me it looked like a nice place to live, seemingly freshly painted. Now it really looks haunted. Oh yes, and the spiders, I do love the new scene but the spiders are just so nostalgic. I know the feel.

Chef Mickey

I miss the charm of the old hitch hiking ghosts effect and some of the more minor things like the spiders and classic bride.

However, Disney has managed to do this attraction justice by essentially leaving it alone. They've made enhancements to Leota and other scenes, but it largely remains the same attraction.

This proves that great attractions don't need to be tied to a silly movie theme or constantly "plussed" to keep them relevant. Keep the same premise but update is technology allows and keep it maintained.

dbrWDW

Actually, I like the current HM more than the previous versions. I thought the two best changes they made were the smallest: 1) The lightning flashes that change the gallery paintings make it so much creepier than having them slowly transform over time. 2) The piano music in the library scene. So creepy...

DisneyPrincess5

I think for me, it was awesome in the 90s because technology in films wasn't quite believable yet so the some of the effects on HM appeared awesome. With technology in movies now-a-days, Some of the effects looks cheesy, but still good and classic.

Spike-in-Berlin

The original bride, used until at least the early 90ies, was definitely by far the most scary element in the entire ride and let's the "new" (since 2007 refurb) and surprisingly unscary bride look like Mary Poppins! The skeleton in the brides gown with the thumping heart was unforgettable and I just don't get it, why did they have to remove her? Her successor was already disappointing but the new "murderous" bride is a mere joke.
All other changes in the HM were not that substantial (with the exception of the adding of the next gen queueing area cemetery) that I would say I have a favorite.

Cmdr_Crimson

I would go just about 2007 just around the time the MC Escher Stairway room was added...It was simple and nothing too big before all the other enhancements were added..

Chef Mickey

Does anyone feel the new hitch hiking ghost effect has gotten a little "off" lately? It seems like it worked better before. The "effect" seems to only partially work. When your head disappears, it sometimes is a bit off or not completely gone. Maybe I've just gotten used to it.

I have to say, I think the old effect was better despite thinking the new one was better until lately.

horizons82

While I love nostalgia for WDW attractions, I actually appreciate the updates that have been done to HM. This is one of the very few attractions that have received an update that added to or at least maintained the original feel of the ride without taking away from it (IMHO).

I do agree with Spike-In-Berlin though...the previous bride with the thumping heartbeat truly used to terrify me. It did NOT help that one time our ride stopped for a very long time and it was right there in the attic and right next to that old bride--the longer we were stuck in that spot the creepier it was.

Chef Mickey

While I love nostalgia for WDW attractions, I actually appreciate the updates that have been done to HM. This is one of the very few attractions that have received an update that added to or at least maintained the original feel of the ride without taking away from it (IMHO).

I do agree with Spike-In-Berlin though...the previous bride with the thumping heartbeat truly used to terrify me. It did NOT help that one time our ride stopped for a very long time and it was right there in the attic and right next to that old bride--the longer we were stuck in that spot the creepier it was.
Equally terrifying is "Hurry Back" at the end. We literally got stuck there for 20 minutes and it was downright scary.

horizons82

Equally terrifying is "Hurry Back" at the end. We literally got stuck there for 20 minutes and it was downright scary.

That recently happened to me too! You'd think it might get funny or monotonous to hear the 'Hurry Back' voice over and over, but it also got scarier the longer I heard it!

Penelope

I miss the bride in the attic that would have been there in the early 1990s. I do like the refurbished queue outside though. I enjoy the line wait as I seem to see something new outside each time.

Chef Mickey

That recently happened to me too! You'd think it might get funny or monotonous to hear the 'Hurry Back' voice over and over, but it also got scarier the longer I heard it!
Haha, I walked away thinking I've never been that scared on the Haunted Mansion. Classic ride.

Chef Mickey

I miss the bride in the attic that would have been there in the early 1990s. I do like the refurbished queue outside though. I enjoy the line wait as I seem to see something new outside each time.
My view on the rebrubed queue is mixed. I do think it's clever in some areas, but it's a little too "Funny" for me. I know Haunted Mansion has always been about silly scary, but I just think it wasn't needed.

horizons82

My view on the rebrubed queue is mixed. I do think it's clever in some areas, but it's a little too "Funny" for me. I know Haunted Mansion has always been about silly scary, but I just think it wasn't needed.

I'd agree with this as well. While I feel like the elements of the new queue are inventive and thoughtful, they do seem to 'lighten the mood' so to speak, and they take away a little from the sense of tension of preparing to enter the attraction.

Call me crazy, but I think the more activity-oriented and lighthearted queue actually has people going into the ride in a lighter mood, which does seem to impact how people perceive the stretching room a little less seriously, detracting from what I'd think should be an otherwise eerie, moody opening.

I know it's supposed to still be a 'fun' ride, but I personally enjoy entering the attraction with a crowd that is more solemn and quiet, which adds to the eerie factor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom