Favorite animatronic?

CoreNovawarAMM

My favorites have got to be Mr. Potatohead Simply for the fact that he really removes his body parts like the real ones. Second hopper from It's Tough to be a Bug. But my all time favorite was the first scene in Journey into Imagination, the original Dreamcatcher Airship with Dreamfinder and Figment.
I would have enjoyed seeing the Figment one, since I like pretty much everything Jules Verne!😄

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Before I start, some honorable mentions.....

Dragon (Castle Walkthrough at DLP)
disneyland_paris_photo_book-9.jpg

Goblins (Harry Potter And The Escape From Gringotts)
maxresdefault.jpg

Kong (Skull Island: Regin Of Kong)
1_Kong-Animated-Figure-Photo.jpg

Additionally, characters like Figment and the Yeti, i'm not including because they are nothing like their former self. I am basing it off of animatronics of today, and the best current ones.

Alright, my personal top 10....

#10. Imhotep (Revenge of the Mummy)
Stock%2BPhoto%2B-%2BThe%2BMummy.jpg

I see that he never said we can't do Universal animatronics so i'm including Imhotep, sure he's nowhere near as complex as he was back in 2007 and I did say i'm only doing current ones that are really good, but Imhotep is still working a little better than the Yeti and hasn't changed his personally a little like Figment (Than again, he is a mummy not a purple dragon! Haha!) and it's still pretty impressive when he jumps out of his coffin!

#9. Cars (Radiator Springs Racers)
2014-05-23_0040.jpg

Any of the cars animatronics are all equally awesome and neat to see! These pretty much inspired the screen animatronics in the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Frozen Ever After.

#8. Hatbox Ghost (Haunted Mansion DL version)
2015-07-17_0119.jpg

This guy is freakin' awesome! He is my favorite Haunted Mansion character and the effect of his face disappearing and into the hatbox is just so well done. I just love this guy, just look how cool he is! ^^

#7. Captain Barbossa (Pirates DLP version)
maxresdefault.jpg

As others have mentioned, this Barbossa makes the others look terrible by comparison! What a way to keep a classic ride fresh and modern! The way he turns into a skeleton too is so neat!

#6. Sinbad's Storybook Cast (Sinbad's Storybook Voyage)
Tokyo-Disney-Resort-0219-640x401.jpg

I can't believe anyone on here hasn't mentioned this wonderful ride and it's fantastic animatronics! There are more animatronics here than possibly any other ride built ever. Seriously. It's unreal how many there are and all so lifelike and real motion. The green giant is also amazing, with the sheer size of him being just crazy. Probably the largest animatronic ever right up there with my #1.
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
Tokyo-Disney-Resort-0224.jpg

#5. Davy Jones (Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle For The Sunken Treasure)
pirates-caribbean-battle-sunken-treasure-shanghai-disneyland-010.jpg

So amazing! He looks so real! It's so cool to actually see a real lifelike Davy Jones after all the waterfall mists of him in the classic Pirate rides. The way he turns around and reveals himself is just sick! Well done!

#4. Q'aráq (Roaring Rapids)
latest

Besides my #1 and #2 (kind of), this is probably the most terrifying animatronic ever. But it's also one of the darn coolest ones ever. The way he pops out at the end and than you just drop after is scary but awesome at the same time! Those yellow glowing eyes and the massive jaw are crazy cool!

#3. Albert (Mystic Manor)
maxresdefault.jpg

This guy is like the total opposite of the previous one. This guy is too dang cute and I love this monkey. The way he moves is again, what I have said with others, unreal and neat, and magical! Mystic Manor in general is so magical and Albert gives this ride so much heart. He is the Figment of today, my favorite theme park character despite never experiencing this attraction!

#2. Shaman of Songs (Na'vi River Journey)
NaviRiverJourney-0512017-3.jpg

I actually don't really like putting this guy so high. Part of that is because he's in a fairly mediocre attraction that is quite underwhelming! Still, I can't deny the fact that this guy is unreal how real he is. He terrifies and amazes me. I actually think it's a real person pretending to be one of the Na'vi sometimes, haha. Really well done on him even though I do find him kind of weird too lol.

#1. Lava Monster (Journey To The Center Of The Earth)
2015-11-20_0117.jpg

Incredible. Amazing. Stunning. Terrifying. Those 4 words say at all. Seriously, though you have to admit how fantastic this animatronic is. He's quite possibly the largest one ever. Bigger than the Green Giant in Sinbad, and the Yeti in Everest. The fact that he is in the best theme park attraction on the planet, in the greatest theme park land on the planet, is awesome. When he yells and roars, and than you shoot off into the roller coaster part is exhilarating and so much fun. Bravo on this guy.

That's my list! Thanks for reading!

FettFan

Any of the main three Br'ers on Splash Mountain. They have so much expression and they have such unique motions (Br'er Rabbit hopping away, Br'er Bear hanging from a tree and rolling around).

That one is impressive....when it's working correctly. I rode once and it was tragic....his head was literally slumped over.
Hilarious thing about it was his mouth kept moving like normal.

He was essentially...Br'er Igor.
tenor.gif

Or Br'er EYE-gor

FettFan

Okay...looks like the rules have changed.

Therefore.... while my favorite THEME PARK Animatronic is S.I.R.

The greatest animatronics of all time were Stan Winston's T-Rex from Jurassic Park

And the Field Tiger velociraptors from The Lost World.

BasiltheBatLord

The giant in Sinbad has always "wowed" me just because of how huge he is (is he the biggest Imagineering AA ever? Does anyone know?). It's really lame how he got sanitized and doesn't try to eat people anymore like an actual giant.

The monster in Center of the Earth is also impressive because of his size, although I wish there was a second show scene with him. The ride feels like it ends right as its getting good.

I also remember the Wicked Witch in GMR being one of the most impressive AA's I had ever seen for a long time. When I was younger I went back and forth trying to figure out if it was an AA or an actual actor.

JustAFan

We have a thread on the scariest, now how about we start one on the favorites.

One of my favorites has to be this guy:

Monk-300x300.jpg

When I was a kid, I always thought this was a real person who just decided to prank people while on SSE.

Will always love the Sleeping Monk.

What are your favorites?

I love the sleeping monk too. There are more advanced animitronics, but the humor in this one gets me every time.

Princess Leia

Apologies to anybody who may have already mentioned this one, but the La Tanière du Dragon AA underneath the castle in Paris is something that is a sight to behold. I hope to see it firsthand one day!

maxresdefault.jpg

Ooooh, I forgot about that creature in JttCotE!!! It is downright creepy and awesome!!

lava_400x400.jpg

Another AA I forgot about is the giant reptile beast in Roaring Rapids at Shanghai. Holy smokes, that thing looks impressive!!!

dragon%2Bor%2Bdinosaur.png

The bears on Grizzly Gulch at HKDL are also pretty great!
grizzly-gulch-hong-kong-disneyland-big-grizzly-mountain-runaway-mine-cars-2.png
grizzly-gulch-hong-kong-disneyland-big-grizzly-mountain-runaway-mine-cars-5.jpeg
Gee we never get anything fun at WDW :( (I want the Paris dragon so much)

As for my favorites- the Country Bears, the Wicked Witch of the West, and Olaf #1 (probably the most impressive AA in the attraction, IMO).

JiminyandTink

In no order:

PotC: The dirty foot pirate on the bridge, The pirate drinking rum with his cat, Jack Sparrow in the treasure room

Literally anyone in SSE

The dad from Carousel of Progress (and everyone else for that matter – Rover included)

Sonny Eclipse

I would have said a few from The Great Movie Ride as well :bawling:

I could say anyone really, I am a sucker for AA's, they are pure magic to me :jawdrop:

KimAnnFran

I think I have more than I realized I did. At one point it was the big balloon Contraption with the dreamfinder and figment. I also have a really cool fondness for a lot of the characters in spaceship earth. And ranking up there is the wicked witch in The Wizard of Oz segment of the Great Movie Ride, I used to love the underwater sea monster in 20000 Leagues, a lot of the Pirates are really beautiful to look at in Pirates of the Caribbean, and I love the Zippity Do Da Boat at the end of Splash Mountain. But nothing tops the characters in The American Adventure. They will always be my favorite and I pray every day they don't change that experience.

NickMaio

As I am reading this thread. I have noticed a slight reduction in NEW AA's for park expansions.
Zero in new Toy story land and 1 for Pandora.
Could AA's be considered old news.... Replaced with thrill rides.

I really hope not. AA's were what really made Disney unique to me.
I would like to add every AA in Horizons to my list........ 😫

KimAnnFran

As I am reading this thread. I have noticed a slight reduction in NEW AA's for park expansions.
Zero in new Toy story land and 1 for Pandora.
Could AA's be considered old news.... Replaced with thrill rides.

I really hope not. AA's were what really made Disney unique to me.
I would like to add every AA in Horizons to my list........ 😫

Yes!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom