FastPass

Pepper's Ghost

Sounds like you are looking for equal outcome instead of equal opportunity.
That's not the point really. Never mind. It's not worth the back and forth. This has been discussed to death.

Not sure I understand the back and forth from you specifically though because you mentioned you hated the system too and hoped for something better.

havoc315

That's not because you were good, it's because you were physically fit/fast/high stamina/no kids.

I meant "good" as in, "planning and strategy."

All of the above, including planning and strategy.
No matter how good you are with planning, etc, and physical fitness, etc... The “best” results were far better under the old system.
I went with the old system when my kids were young... 3 families went together, all with young kids. At every park, we did every “e-ticket” attraction with fast passes. At Magic Kingdom, it was usually 4-6 FPs per day, all for major attractions.
Now, under FP*, at any of the tiered parks, good luck getting more than 1 tier-1 FP per day, no matter how “skilled” you are.

Robbydj13

Original Poster
That's not the point really. Never mind. It's not worth the back and forth. This has been discussed to death.

Not sure I understand the back and forth from you specifically though because you mentioned you hated the system too and hoped for something better.
I do hate the system, but not because people don't have the same opportunities. Which is a poor excuse for anything if you ask me, especially in this case. I hate the FastPass+ system because it extremely limits what I am able to accomplish in a day, way more than the old system.

Robbydj13

Original Poster
All of the above, including planning and strategy.
No matter how good you are with planning, etc, and physical fitness, etc... The “best” results were far better under the old system.
I went with the old system when my kids were young... 3 families went together, all with young kids. At every park, we did every “e-ticket” attraction with fast passes. At Magic Kingdom, it was usually 4-6 FPs per day, all for major attractions.
Now, under FP*, at any of the tiered parks, good luck getting more than 1 tier-1 FP per day, no matter how “skilled” you are.
Such an accurate and truthful explanation. Not sure why more people don’t get your point

Chi84

Premium Member
Such an accurate and truthful explanation. Not sure why more people don’t get your point
It’s not that people don’t get the point; they just vacation differently. I’m fine with one Tier 1 as long as it’s FOP after our dinner at Tiffins, which follows our day at Blizzard Beach. FP+ works great for some.

Goofyernmost

Personally I loved FP+ and was easily able to legitimately get 10+ in a day.
I'm guessing most that enjoyed legacy FP were "collectors" and then used one after another outside of the window.

I would not mind a paid FP+ situation because I am only responsible for myself as far as a budget goes.
That was good, but it wasn't ever intended to work that way. People just started using them that way and quickly discovered that the CM's weren't paying any attention to the window times. Word got around quickly and everyone that wasn't a newbie were collecting them and using them one right after another. You also have to remember that not every attraction was a Fastpass attraction either, so it was easier to do. It got out of control and Disney had to finally say stop. It's within the window or not at all. The upset was loud from people who knew that what they were doing was not what was intended but got indignant about the enforcement none the less.

If there has to be Fastpass, I agree that paid is the way to go. I would have no problem standing in line when I know that they paid extra to see the same thing. I feel that if people can afford to go to WDW to begin with now that they can afford to buy the Fastpass stuff if they really wanted too.

Robbydj13

Original Poster
It’s not that people don’t get the point; they just vacation differently. I’m fine with one Tier 1 as long as it’s FOP after our dinner at Tiffins, which follows our day at Blizzard Beach. FP+ works great for some.
Oh I agree that it does, my point was that it limits what one can accomplish per day, whereas the old system allowed you to get more done. I know why people enjoy the new system, convenience. And why I enjoy the old system, quantity of experiences.

Robbydj13

Original Poster
That was good, but it wasn't ever intended to work that way. People just started using them that way and quickly discovered that the CM's weren't paying any attention to the window times. Word got around quickly and everyone that wasn't a newbie were collecting them and using them one right after another. You also have to remember that not every attraction was a Fastpass attraction either, so it was easier to do. It got out of control and Disney had to finally say stop. It's within the window or not at all. The upset was loud from people who knew that what they were doing was not what was intended but got indignant about the enforcement none the less.

If there has to be Fastpass, I agree that paid is the way to go. I would have no problem standing in line when I know that they paid extra to see the same thing. I feel that if people can afford to go to WDW to begin with now that they can afford to buy the Fastpass stuff if they really wanted too.
I have no issue with a paid option, but I also believe it has to be kept limited to make it worth the money. I also believe It needs to be priced in a way so Not everyone just gets it “because its only a few dollars more”, otherwise its nothing special.

Goofyernmost

I have no issue with a paid option, but I also believe it has to be kept limited to make it worth the money. I also believe It needs to be priced in a way so Not everyone just gets it “because its only a few dollars more”, otherwise its nothing special.
Universal, don't ask me for the exact details because I don't remember, but their pay for play Fastpass equivalent seemed to work well. People did buy it so it was affordable. I even considered it but, I wasn't in any hurry that day so I just decided to go in standby and I don't feel that I was held up at all in spite of people using the paid route.

Robbydj13

Original Poster
Universal, don't ask me for the exact details because I don't remember, but their pay for play Fastpass equivalent seemed to work well. People did buy it so it was affordable. I even considered it but, I wasn't in any hurry that day so I just decided to go in standby and I don't feel that I was held up at all in spite of people using the paid route.
I bought it once myself, the time I bought I didn’t even need it the whole day. And the times I did need it, it wasn’t able to be used for those rides...

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

Yes people found the loophole and exploited it.
My family never even considered doing something like that until people started telling their "secret" to anyone and everyone and then they cry that Disney shut it down and eventually came up with FP+ which relies on a computer system that is smart enough to know when you can and cannot enter a line.
For the record we only did do it once and it was that we had extra FP's because the other half of our family had to leave the park early and a friend was with us and her sister worked at Soarin so she asked if we could use them past the window and she said to come on over.

Goofyernmost

Yes people found the loophole and exploited it.
My family never even considered doing something like that until people started telling their "secret" to anyone and everyone and then they cry that Disney shut it down and eventually came up with FP+ which relies on a computer system that is smart enough to know when you can and cannot enter a line.
For the record we only did do it once and it was that we had extra FP's because the other half of our family had to leave the park early and a friend was with us and her sister worked at Soarin so she asked if we could use them past the window and she said to come on over.
I used it that way when it was at the high point. My thought was if Disney doesn't care enough to enforce their own system, why should I stand in standby forever. However, when they finally cracked down I really wasn't upset because I expected them to do that eventually. If I had my way there would be no Fastpass at all to worry about. It worked fine for two decades without one, and it was only designed to increase retail sales. The only real result they got was angry people waiting in Standby lines and those that were able to get a Fastpass didn't really buy anymore then they were going to anyway.

Goofyernmost

But we were so much happier not waiting in standby lines!
Yes, but it was short lived. You saved absolutely no time at all by the end of the day. You were duped into thinking you got something when you got nothing. You eventually have to currently use a standby line and because of FP you were forced to stand in that line for a whole lot of time longer then you would have without the FP jumping in front of you. Yes there was and always will be complaining about the length of lines at a place like Disney, but it was never angry, it was part of what it was and you were working under the first come first served basis which is as fair as you can get. The regular line was moving constantly and it wasn't near as long a wait as are currently being experienced.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
. I feel that if people can afford to go to WDW to begin with now that they can afford to buy the Fastpass stuff if they really wanted too.
On the contrary if people have scrimped and saved for a Wdw trip it’s likely they can’t afford to splurge out more when they’ve already paid for admission.

Goofyernmost

On the contrary if people have scrimped and saved for a Wdw trip it’s likely they can’t afford to splurge out more when they’ve already paid for admission.
Theoretically you are right, however this is a reality. You know you are going, you know the cost and you scrimp (as you call it) and save a little bit more to cover the cost if it is worth it to you. My feeling is that if I see someone in WDW, regardless of how they are dressed, sleeves or no sleeves, they really cannot claim poverty. Tight budget maybe, but if you got together the money to get there to begin with, your not qualifying for welfare and FP would be an insignificant part of the overall cost of a Disney Vacation (holiday, for you brits). ;)

Chi84

Premium Member
Yes, but it was short lived. You saved absolutely no time at all by the end of the day. You were duped into thinking you got something when you got nothing. You eventually have to currently use a standby line and because of FP you were forced to stand in that line for a whole lot of time longer then you would have without the FP jumping in front of you. Yes there was and always will be complaining about the length of lines at a place like Disney, but it was never angry, it was part of what it was and you were working under the first come first served basis which is as fair as you can get. The regular line was moving constantly and it wasn't near as long a wait as are currently being experienced.
Actually none of that ever happened to us because of the way we vacation. We joined DVC early on and are annual pass holders. We aren't the usual WDW guest, but I suspect there are a good number of us. We visit twice a year and don't care about the number of rides we go on, as long as we get the ones we want.

I don't mind planning at all, but we don't get up early and don't like standing in lines. Three FastPasses a day are fine for us, as long as we can guarantee riding the newest most popular ride without a long wait. One of our vacations is in early May, which is not too busy, so we are able to get FastPasses for the rides we want with no issue. Often, we go to one of the water parks during the day and don't visit the parks until evening. This used to be a problem with legacy FastPass because the popular rides "sold out" before we got to the parks.

FastPass+ worked fine for us, but I understand that it didn't work well for a lot of other guests and it ended up not working all that well for Disney either. So it's on its way out and will be replaced by another system. I'll find a way to roll with the changes - we always do - but I will miss the current system because it worked great for us.

As far as the "regular" lines moving and the wait not being nearly as long, we visited at a time before any FastPasses, and the waits for the most popular rides often exceeded an hour even at the slow times of the year. As I've said in prior posts, that was a time when we took my mom with us and our kids were young, so we just skipped those rides. Under FastPass+ that would not have been a problem.

Changes are coming and we'll work with them. We are concerned that, at some point, WDW will make that one final change that makes it no longer worthwhile for us, but so far we still enjoy our vacations and are greatly looking forward to our post-COVID visits.

durangojim

Actually none of that ever happened to us because of the way we vacation. We joined DVC early on and are annual pass holders. We aren't the usual WDW guest, but I suspect there are a good number of us. We visit twice a year and don't care about the number of rides we go on, as long as we get the ones we want.

I don't mind planning at all, but we don't get up early and don't like standing in lines. Three FastPasses a day are fine for us, as long as we can guarantee riding the newest most popular ride without a long wait. One of our vacations is in early May, which is not too busy, so we are able to get FastPasses for the rides we want with no issue. Often, we go to one of the water parks during the day and don't visit the parks until evening. This used to be a problem with legacy FastPass because the popular rides "sold out" before we got to the parks.

FastPass+ worked fine for us, but I understand that it didn't work well for a lot of other guests and it ended up not working all that well for Disney either. So it's on its way out and will be replaced by another system. I'll find a way to roll with the changes - we always do - but I will miss the current system because it worked great for us.

As far as the "regular" lines moving and the wait not being nearly as long, we visited at a time before any FastPasses, and the waits for the most popular rides often exceeded an hour even at the slow times of the year. As I've said in prior posts, that was a time when we took my mom with us and our kids were young, so we just skipped those rides. Under FastPass+ that would not have been a problem.

Changes are coming and we'll work with them. We are concerned that, at some point, WDW will make that one final change that makes it no longer worthwhile for us, but so far we still enjoy our vacations and are greatly looking forward to our post-COVID visits.
I agree and this is what I posted in the other thread:
"It's interesting, I used to pray at the church of Fast Pass+ because I liked not having to stand in line and am a planner by nature, however after having been at WDW 3 times in the past 10 months (July, Oct/Nov, and last week), I have to say I'm not missing it. My wife and I are commenting that our trips are much more relaxed and we feel we can go at a pace we want. There have not been any rides that we wanted to do that we didn't get on, and yes we had to wait 80 minutes in line for Slinky, but it was actually nice spending that time with my family talking about things and people watching. It really won't bother me if FP+ doesn't come back."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom