Fastpass: People can get desperate

tomm4004

Original Poster
Last week at RnRC I waited in line for a FP, third behind a woman and three daughters, all who were crowded around the machine. They took a good five minutes. I thought perhaps the machine was broken. Switching lines at that point was not an option given the massive lines, and I was feeling quite patient - as always. I noticed the girls glancing furtively around like they were waiting for their English teacher to burst into the room at any second. When I finally got to the front I discovered that they'd left a massive pile of FPs on the top of the machine: ones that said that they could not get FPs yet because their new time window had not come up!

I couldn't believe it. These people just stood by the machine, knowing that their time was "close," and continually slid their tickets into the machine until it finally gave them FPs. They were completely indifferent to everyone else in line. And they didn't even bother to discard the worthless ones. This is one negative that fastpass has wrought. I'm sure others have far worse stories than this, but I just thought it kind of sad that getting FPs to a ride was of such vital importance to behave in such a manner. It did make me laugh though. And I noticed that your time to pick up a new one is now down to the minute (1:23 or 2:14for example). Perhaps this adds to the urgency.

I understand the people who are against fastpass, saying that they give a sense of privilege and are almost like a drug the way people scramble for them.

TimonRulz

Mickey should have booted them out of line. Then stuck them gave them a few hamburgers and stuck them on the ToT. That should do it.

shoppingnut

TimonRulz said:
Mickey should have booted them out of line. Then stuck them gave them a few hamburgers and stuck them on the ToT. That should do it.

Yeah, but what about all those other poor people on the ride with them.

wdwfreak05

Account Suspended
tomm4004 said:
Last week at RnRC I waited in line for a FP, third behind a woman and three daughters, all who were crowded around the machine. They took a good five minutes. I thought perhaps the machine was broken. Switching lines at that point was not an option given the massive lines, and I was feeling quite patient - as always. I noticed the girls glancing furtively around like they were waiting for their English teacher to burst into the room at any second. When I finally got to the front I discovered that they'd left a massive pile of FPs on the top of the machine: ones that said that they could not get FPs yet because their new time window had not come up!

I couldn't believe it. These people just stood by the machine, knowing that their time was "close," and continually slid their tickets into the machine until it finally gave them FPs. They were completely indifferent to everyone else in line. And they didn't even bother to discard the worthless ones. This is one negative that fastpass has wrought. I'm sure others have far worse stories than this, but I just thought it kind of sad that getting FPs to a ride was of such vital importance to behave in such a manner. It did make me laugh though. And I noticed that your time to pick up a new one is now down to the minute (1:23 or 2:14for example). Perhaps this adds to the urgency.

I understand the people who are against fastpass, saying that they give a sense of privilege and are almost like a drug the way people scramble for them.

I HATE THAT! Something else that REALLY bothers me is when a mom has her entire families park tickets and she keeps putting the wrong one in the machine! :hammer: It's at times like that where I REALLY wish they had Cast Memebers at every kiosk to insert the tickets for them and had them a FP.

shoppingnut

wdwfreak05 said:
I HATE THAT! Something else that REALLY bothers me is when a mom has her entire families park tickets and she keeps putting the wrong one in the machine! :hammer: It's at times like that where I REALLY wish they had Cast Memebers at every kiosk to insert the tickets for them and had them a FP.

The phrase dumb as dirt comes to mind. Unfortunately it would be too cost prohibitive to have a CM at every one.

Heatherbell

Some people have no consideration for others. Sometimes it blows my mind and other times I am not surprised at all. If that was me, I would LOOK at the little time on my little fastpass ticket, and then WAIT until that time and attempt to get another fastpass. HELLO, it says right on your ticket when you can get another one!!!! What is the confusion?

Some people just don't get it.

wdwfreak05

Account Suspended
shoppingnut said:
The phrase dumb as dirt comes to mind. Unfortunately it would be too cost prohibitive to have a CM at every one.

Oh i completely agree. There is no way Disney would ever do that. I was just using some wishful thinking... :lol:

cameraguy

wdwfreak05 said:
That seems to happen to me everytime I get in a FP line. It's madening

DigitalDisney

Seems like FastPass brings out the worst in people.

I haven't seen that example happen, but I almost always see some people standing around the narrow FP entrance either waiting for their passes to activate, or asking a million questions. Either way, they're preventing those with active FPs to ride.

If you're going to get a FP and stand and do nothing until it's active, why get it at all? Since the FP window is 1hr, you can easily do something more productive/entertaining.

dxwwf3

DigitalDisney said:
Since the FP window is 1hr, you can easily do something more productive/entertaining.

No kidding. FP is supposed to allow guests to see more of the park, but most people just don't get it or they don't care.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I am always amazed. People waiting outside the FP waiting and or arguing with the CM to let them in, blocking access for others. People continuously entering their tickets [as was the case in front of the OP] until they're accepted. Or, my all-time favourite... People who look at you like you've got a disease if you offer them your FPs that, for whatever reason, you've decided not to use. It's like they think you're trying to 'trick' them. :rolleyes:

I just grin and move on, I'm on vacation and nothing other people do will spoil it for me. :sohappy:

cameraguy

The one thing about the FP i hate the most, are the people who get a FP and for some reason or anothe miss there time and argue with the CM.

RU42

Does WDW prevent people from using their FP after the time listed on the ticket? I ask because at Disneyland the CMs are instructed to allow people to use their fastpass even if the time is past.

RU

dxwwf3

Most CM's let you use them after the time. It has been reported that this is what they are supposed to do, but there are some CM's that take it upon themselves to make their own rules and won't let you in. But that's rare.

Tramp

RU42 said:
Does WDW prevent people from using their FP after the time listed on the ticket? I ask because at Disneyland the CMs are instructed to allow people to use their fastpass even if the time is past.

RU

I have never been denied same-day entry to an attraction with a FP past it's time, and I hope to Christ that the policy never changes. I don't need the hassle of running from one end of the park to another, or rushing my lunch or dinner, or feeling any stress whatsoever simply to visit an attraction in a one hour window. Thank God that the Disney management feels the same way. :wave:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Tramp said:
I have never been denied same-day entry to an attraction with a FP past it's time, and I hope to Christ that the policy never changes. I don't need the hassle of running from one end of the park to another, or rushing my lunch or dinner, or feeling any stress whatsoever simply to visit an attraction in a one hour window. Thank God that the Disney management feels the same way. :wave:

I don't think most of the CMs look beyond the window start time. I've seen previous day FPs used after their window started a day or more later... :eek:

[never done it myself, but...]

Tramp

MontyMon said:
I don't think most of the CMs look beyond the window start time. I've seen previous day FPs used after their window started a day or more later... :eek:

[never done it myself, but...]

I saw two kids get stopped at Space Mountain for trying to use a previous day's pass. They managed to get thru the outside ticket checker but the guy who collects the tickets inside spotted it. He didn't let them ride.

It's so dark inside space mountain, I have no idea how the guy could read the date. As I passed thru the gate, I commented to the CM that I wish I had his eyesight. He just laughed and said that he has a 6th sense for checking the tickets of certain guests. Can you imagine? Cast Members are now guilty of profiling wise-a$$ teenagers. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom