FastPass+ open to all guests including offsite beginning next week at Disney's Animal Kingdom

ryan1

Both of Uni's parks have far more headliner rides than Epcot, DHS, or DAK.

Ask yourself a few simple questions.

Excluding MK (the "king" of Orlando theme parks), what's your favorite WDW theme park?

Now pick your 6 favorite attractions at that park that you'd like to Fast Pass.

Now, do the same with Universal.

What 6 rides would you Express Pass there?

The problem is that at Epcot, DHS, and DAK, it's difficult (at least it is for me :)) to find 6 rides that would be worth getting a Fast Pass for.

At either of Uni's 2 parks, it's easy to identify 6 rides that are worth Express Passing.

That's WDW's problem. 3 of its parks simply don't have enough headliner attractions.

Recall that those who have used FP+ for shows have said that FP+ was a waste.

When you get past the shows, WDW's doesn't have enough rides to Fast Pass.

I have no problem picking out 6 rides at MK, IOA, or USF.

However, when it comes to Epcot, DHS, or DAK, I can't list 6 attractions that are worth Fast Passing.

At 3 of their parks, most visiting WDW are picking the same 3 FP+. It only works at DAK because KS and EE are extremely high capacity rides.

Again, at 3 of WDW's parks, they don't have enough good rides.

FP+ highlights a problem WDW has had for years. In fact, FP+ emphasizes it. FP+ puts up a big sign saying "because we don't have enough good attractions, we are not going to let you pick your 3 favorite."

WDW is not ready for FP+ and won't be until Epcot, DHS, and DAK get more rides.

Islands of Adventure is a half day park at best (depending on crowds). Yes, there are fast passable rides but what are they besides Hulk, Spidey, Potter, and Dragons? Jurassic Park? Dudley Do Right? Cat in the Hat? The problem with IOA is that once you have done the big headliner rides you are left with very little else to do. Suess Land takes about an hour max to do the 4 rides, the comic strip land only has 2 water rides, and Jurassic Park land only has one additional ride that adults can't even ride unless they have a kid with them.

Universal has the same problems. Once you get past the 5 headliner rides (Transformers, Rockin Coaster, Simpsons, MIB, and Mummy) what is there to do? Three 3-d movies, a few shows, ET which is really dated, and an awful Twister attraction.

AK has the benefit of a zoo to balance its limited attraction number. MGM I would say is comparable to Uni but with more medium and smaller attractions once you finish with the headliners. Epcot is unique in and to itself with it being more of a walk around park and not necessarily a rides park.

Ask yourself would you rather have 4-6 headliner rides and little else to do after or 2-3 headliner rides with a lot of smaller scale things to do? that is the difference between Uni an WDW to me. I prefer WDW.

Sorry that was off topic.

I hope once all the small tweeks to the lines and rides that will use the Magic band stuff are integrated the "magic" will start to come through. We have annual passes and have used the magic bands and all we used them for was to get into our rooms at night. There was no benefit to the bands when we used them in November.

Last edited:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Islands of Adventure is a half day park at best (depending on crowds). Yes, there are fast passable rides but what are they besides Hulk, Spidey, Potter, and Dragons? Jurassic Park? Dudley Do Right? Cat in the Hat? The problem with IOA is that once you have done the big headliner rides you are left with very little else to do. Suess Land takes about an hour max to do the 4 rides, the comic strip land only has 2 water rides, and Jurassic Park land only has one additional ride that adults can't even ride unless they have a kid with them.

Universal has the same problems. Once you get past the 5 headliner rides (Transformers, Rockin Coaster, Simpsons, MIB, and Mummy) what is there to do? Three 3-d movies, a few shows, ET which is really dated, and an awful Twister attraction.

AK has the benefit of a zoo to balance its limited attraction number. MGM I would say is comparable to Uni but with more medium and smaller attractions once you finish with the headliners. Epcot is unique in and to itself with it being more of a walk around park and not necessarily a rides park.

Ask yourself would you rather have 4-6 headliner rides and little else to do after or 2-3 headliner rides with a lot of smaller scale things to do? that is the difference between Uni an WDW to me. I prefer WDW.

Sorry that was off topic.

I hope once all the small tweeks to the lines and rides that will use the Magic band stuff are integrated the "magic" will start to come through. We have annual passes and have used the magic bands and all we used them for was to get into our rooms at night. There was no benefit to the bands when we used them in November.

Your dismissal out of hand of 2 major water rides sort of removes the premise of an objective review. Still it is a Disney fan site so one should expect such failings.

Epcot is 3 rides and a load of bars, and there is nothing wrong with that.

ryan1

What is there to do? Try putting your head on a swivel instead of running from queue to queue @ryan1

I hardly ever run from ride to ride. I always look around and try to find details that I may have missed in years past as I think the decor is an attraction all by itself but you can't tell me that either Uni park has better details than WDW. The only reason I go to Uni is for Halloween Horror Nights and I've gone each year since 2000.

I'll give Uni this, they did the New York streets thing a little better than MGM but just slightly and Potter World is very very well done but with Potter done so well it has a negative effect on the rest of the lands because it shows how little amount of detail went into them and how cheaply they were built.

ryan1

Your dismissal out of hand of 2 major water rides sort of removes the premise of an objective review. Still it is a Disney fan site so one should expect such failings.

Epcot is 3 rides and a load of bars, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I'll dismiss the water ride at AK too. Its not a Disney leaning thing its a favor of not walking around soaking wet all day. I rode Popeye on my last visit and while its a nice ride it isn't anything special just like the AK water ride isn't anything special. But you can't tell me that Dudley is in any way, shape, or form comparable to Splash Mtn.

ParentsOf4

Universal has the same problems. Once you get past the 5 headliner rides (Transformers, Rockin Roller Coaster, Simpsons, MIB, and Mummy) what is there to do? Three 3-d movies, a few shows, ET which is really dated, and an awful Twister attraction.

I don't disagree with what you wrote since most of it is subjective. How one feels about the parks is a matter of personal preferences. I'm not trying to debate that.

What I am pointing out is a fundamental flaw in the FastPass+ system, which is the central benefit of WDW's billion dollar investment in MyMagic+.

I don't need FP+ to ride TSM, to see the Princesses in a meet-and-greet, or to experience Fantasmic.

I can do all those things without FP+. It just might take longer.

FP+ is supposed to be about saving time while do these things.

Once you get past the few headliners at Epcot, DHS, and DAK, then these parks quickly run out of things that are worthy of Fast Passing. Most of the remaining rides normally have really short waits or, as it's been reported for shows, using FP+ for shows provides negligible benefit.

Seriously, Disney should be embarrassed to offer a FP+ for Figment.

I can spend all day at nearly any park, including most Six Flags, if I do everything. However, a lot of that time is spent standing in lines. Having been to the majority of Six Flags in the U.S., I can state with confidence that most have more headliner rides than Epcot, DHS, or DAK.

I'm not even remotely suggesting Six Flag is in the same league as WDW or Universal. (Of course, my SF annual pass costs $54.95.;)) What I am suggesting is that when it comes to rides, particularly rides that might benefit from FP+, 3 of WDW's theme parks come up woefully short.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I'll dismiss the water ride at AK too. Its not a Disney leaning thing its a favor of not walking around soaking wet all day. I rode Popeye on my last visit and while its a nice ride it isn't anything special just like the AK water ride isn't anything special. But you can't tell me that Dudley is in any way, shape, or form comparable to Splash Mtn.

AK water ride isnt anything special because its half a ride, an early warning of current policy you could say. Popeye is every bit as comparable to Grizzly river rafting, great fun, and Dudleys cardboard cut out facade, in a Toy Story Mania sort of way, doesnt detract from a great experience. Splash Mountain is enjoyable its eyecandy is spectacular, it is a perfect water ride for those who don't like to get moist. But they do both have water logs and a lot of people who enjoy them.

ryan1

I don't disagree with what you wrote since most of it is subjective. How one feels about the parks is a matter of personal preferences. I'm not trying to debate that.

What I am pointing out is a fundamental flaw in the FastPass+ system, which is the central benefit of WDW's billion dollar investment in MyMagic+.

I don't need FP+ to ride TSM, to see the Princesses in a meet-and-greet, or to experience Fantasmic.

Once you get past the few headliners at Epcot, DHS, and DAK, then these parks quickly run out of things that are worthy of Fast Passing. Most of the remaining rides normally have really short waits or, as it's been reported for shows, using FP+ for shows provides negligible benefit.

I can spend all day at nearly any park, including most Six Flags, if I do everything. However, a lot of that time is spent standing in lines. Having been to the majority of Six Flags in the U.S., I can state with confidence that most have more headliner rides than Epcot, DHS, or DAK.

I'm not even remotely suggesting Six Flag is in the same league as WDW or Universal. (Of course, my SF annual pass costs $54.95.;)) What I am suggesting is that when it comes to rides, particularly rides that might benefit from FP+, 3 of WDW's theme parks come up woefully short.

I do agree with you about the silliness of having a fast pass for some of the smaller attractions, meet and greets, and even some of the bigger rides (I have never seen a wait longer than 30 minutes for Pirates for example). They did go overboard with several of the rides they deemed fast pass worthy and they should be embarrassed with some of the choices.

I also agree with you that Six Flags blows both WDW and Uni away for roller coasters but they do nothing in terms of themeing the parks so its apples and oranges to me. You go to Six Flags for the rides (amazing roller coasters) you go to WDW or Uni for the experience (and rides).

ParentsOf4

I do agree with you about the silliness of having a fast pass for some of the smaller attractions, meet and greets, and even some of the bigger rides (I have never seen a wait longer than 30 minutes for Pirates for example). They did go overboard with several of the rides they deemed fast pass worthy and they should be embarrassed with some of the choices.
One way to think about the silliness of FP+ at Epcot, DHS, and DAK is to think about FP+ at the Magic Kingdom (MK).

Only 3 choices at MK? That's tough.

"I guess if it was a hot day, I'd go with Splash Mountain. A cooler day and I'd go with BTMRR."

"If my kids are tall enough, then it's Space Mountain. If not, then Buzz."

"Between Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh? Peter Pan is more fun but I have one child who is a big fan of Pooh."

"PotC and HM are tremendous rides. I wish I didn't have to FP+ either since both had relatively short lines before FP+. I guess I'll just have to deal with longer Standby lines now."

And so it goes at MK.

MK is ready for the concept of FP+.

Now do that same mental exercise at Epcot, DHS, or DAK and, very quickly, you'll realize that 3 of WDW's theme parks are not ready for FP+ and need more rides.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I suspect that Avatar's simulator will be as much like Soarin' as Expedition Everest is like the Barnstormer. I'm a little bummed out that they're using a simulator, but it really doesn't sound like it's the same ride system as Soarin'

I'm not even opposed to a simulator if it's done right. My concern is more around capacity. Soarin has a low capacity while rides like Star Tours and Potter both are simulator based but have higher capacity. I just hope whatever they build it eats people.

willtravel

Disney is lying if they claim that the average person only used 2 fast passes per day. Lets face it, by saying people only used 2 passes, that is pretty much saying the average guest only goes on two rides per visit. The Fact is, if you used the fast pass once, you know how great it is to not wait in line, therefore you are not stopping at 2 per day. I would love to read this article, because it is such a blatant lie.
I was in WDW the third week in May for 8 nights and did not use fast pass once. Had no problems. Yes, I waited but caused no problems for us. Went to all parks. Only skipped a few rides per park because of choice. I never get FP's when at WDW.

Snickerdoodle

I'm glad you enjoyed your 8 days at Disney. With FastPasses, I typically can do everything I want to do multiple times in 4-5 days because FP allows less wait times. I will miss being able to get my hands on your share of FPs now that FP+ has "leveled the playing field."

willtravel

I'm glad you enjoyed your 8 days at Disney. With FastPasses, I typically can do everything I want to do multiple times in 4-5 days because FP allows less wait times. I will miss being able to get my hands on your share of FPs now that FP+ has "leveled the playing field."
Well I a glad I was able to accommodate you.

WDWDad13

Maybe.... but on my recent trip on my 3rd of 4th day in the MK we were fastpassing non popular rides and meet as greets (since we hadn't done those yet) and it saved us an hour+...so while I didn't see a need for those with fastpasses either, when I was there for multiple days, they actually did come into play and helped oddly enough

I could see this being a benefit on crowded times as well....like this week

Cosmic Commando

Disney Dining Plan has made it hard to just walk in to even a place like Kona Cafe which should in theory always have capacity for resort guests. The success of BOG may prompt WDW to seriously consider new sit down restaurants. That place is a gold mine.
I've said about Harry Potter that it was perfectly suited for theme park conversion in a way that possibly no other property was. I think BoG might possibly be the same way with a table service restaurant. The popularity of the movie combined with the iconic ballroom and "Be Our Guest" scenes makes an experience that I think most random people on the street will "get". You can talk to your non-Disney-obsessed friends and say "I'm eating in the castle from Beauty & the Beast" and I think many will know what you're talking about. I can't think of any other scene/property like that. The Cantina is at that level, but it's a bar or a counter service at best.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've said about Harry Potter that it was perfectly suited for theme park conversion in a way that possibly no other property was. I think BoG might possibly be the same way with a table service restaurant. The popularity of the movie combined with the iconic ballroom and "Be Our Guest" scenes makes an experience that I think most random people on the street will "get". You can talk to your non-Disney-obsessed friends and say "I'm eating in the castle from Beauty & the Beast" and I think many will know what you're talking about. I can't think of any other scene/property like that. The Cantina is at that level, but it's a bar or a counter service at best.

Agreed, BOG was a perfect fit.

I think the Cantina could be far more than just a counter service or a bar. The main bar area from the movie could be one room, but they could do additional rooms as well similar to how BOG has multiple rooms. There are endless possibilities with all of the Star Wars material, but I would think they could incorporate a few AAs of the droids and of course the band (and maybe the guy with a but for a face), make it a little interactive.

For a park like AK you could have a large African tribal themed dinner show. Huge bon fires, tribal dancing, drums, the works. Incorporate a show (like the luau) and make it interactive and buffet style so you could cycle through a lot of guests. I'm sure Pandora will have a restaurant too.

Cosmic Commando

For a park like AK you could have a large African tribal themed dinner show. Huge bon fires, tribal dancing, drums, the works. Incorporate a show (like the luau) and make it interactive and buffet style so you could cycle through a lot of guests. I'm sure Pandora will have a restaurant too.
Something like that could be amazing, and I think people could come away from it raving... it just won't be on the to-do list before they get to Orlando in the same way that "Harry Potter World" or "the Beauty & the Beast restaurant" are. Speaking to that idea specifically, though, it could tap into some basic travel desire the same way that Kilimanjaro tries to fulfill the widely-held desire to "go on safari". I think that's an example of a vacation-driving attraction without a franchise tie-in that Disney could/should look to emulate.

RSoxNo1

I think Popeye is second only to splash mtn in stateside water rides. It's a great attraction and IMO the third beat ride in a park that has the two best rides in the country.

RSoxNo1

I also agree with you that Six Flags blows both WDW and Uni away for roller coasters but they do nothing in terms of themeing the parks so its apples and oranges to me. You go to Six Flags for the rides (amazing roller coasters) you go to WDW or Uni for the experience (and rides).
They did this because the concept of xPass and Fastpass+ was flawed to begin with. When fast pass was distributed day of, the distribution rules were self governing.

By forcing the 3-4 fast passes per guest per day, the numbers didn't work. People that are making these decisions don't go into the park and were just told to make the numbers work. To do so, they forced Fastpass where it doesn't belong so they can sell something to guests that they don't need.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom