FastPass+ open to all guests including offsite beginning next week at Disney's Animal Kingdom

RSoxNo1

This gives too much credit to the old system. It had some pretty bad flaws.

1) There was a mad dash to get in the Fastpass line for some attractions and those Fastpasses ran out early, shutting out those who didn't want to be at rope drop. (Yes, admittedly, the best solution to this would be to add more attractions, but even Radiator Spring Racers suffers from this issue, though that ride is worth it, unlike Soarin, but I digress).

2) Fastpass caused constant backtracking as you had to go to the attraction to get the Fastpass. (Yes, FP+ could have been implemented as simply an electronic version of FP, which would have solved that issue without creating others).

3) Environmental.

4) Fairness - it seems the average FP usage was 1.8ish per person, which is very low. Many people didn't get the system and this levels the playing field a bit. (Yes, admittedly, I don't agree with this one, but I live by the motto "stupid should hurt" - others seem to want equality regardless of effort).

It's funny how many people here say they will never step foot in the parks because now they will have to wait in lines. I recall the pre-fastpass days when there were lines for everything. I remember waiting 45 minutes to go on LWTL and 20+ minutes for SSE back in the 80s (but I'd wait 20 minutes for tomorrow's child any day, sigh).

Like the switch from GAC to DAS, FP+ is a huge change and it is going to effect how people tour the parks. Because it doesn't change capacity, it is just a redistribution -- if you find yourself waiting in lines more, that means someone is waiting in them less, so that should make you feel all warm and fuzzy, right?

My main issue with FP+ is the ridonculous 60 day window. I hate, hate, hate how disney wants us to plan every minute of every day so far in advance (and don't get me started on the ADR system). I spend hundreds of hours making charts for where I think we will want to be an every minute of every day, but I have a 2-year old and have no idea what her mood will be when the time arrives. Dinner at O'Hana could be great, or she could be in the middle of a melt-down. For something that supposedly caters to families, Disney seems to have no experience with children and how unpredictable they can be.
The old Fastpass system wasn't perfect but it was far less flawed than what we're seeing with Fastpass+. Most notably as recent as two years ago the "unforeseen circumstance" that caused someone to miss their window was a non-issue. My suggestion for refinement would be to continue to enforce the windows, but enlarge them on attractions where Fastpass demand is lower. Something like Toy Story can remain at 1 hour, Star Tours would be at 2 and something like Great Movie Ride would be 3 hours.

Captain Chaos

2 hours is actually a long sample size for this place. How many things have been deemed a complete failure before they were even rolled out?
Well around here in the online community things are deemed failures before opening, but in turn things are also deemed huge successes by people who haven't even stepped foot into WDW probably their entire life... JT anyone???... but in real life, 2 hours is absolutely nothing when you are rolling out something of this scale... Which is why they run tests for weeks or months, and not just hours...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well around here in the online community things are deemed failures before opening, but in turn things are also deemed huge successes by people who haven't even stepped foot into WDW probably their entire life... JT anyone???... but in real life, 2 hours is absolutely nothing when you are rolling out something of this scale... Which is why they run tests for weeks or months, and not just hours...
Agreed. 2 hours or even a whole day of success at AK doesn't necessarily mean anything in the grand scheme and the real test will be MK. Way more day visitors and a whole lot more than 9 FP choices. I am just glad to see the beginnings of the full roll out of the system so we can stop speculating on what impact it will have and see it first hand.

Captain Chaos

Agreed. 2 hours or even a whole day of success at AK doesn't necessarily mean anything in the grand scheme and the real test will be MK. Way more day visitors and a whole lot more than 9 FP choices. I am just glad to see the beginnings of the full roll out of the system so we can stop speculating on what impact it will have and see it first hand.
Next week, when the holiday crowds are there, will be the true test...

Who wants to bet that, even when the parks are over flowing with guests next week, and things work out fine, that people call it a major failure? And who wants to bet that, with huge crowds next week, if this thing collapses and fails, some people will still come on here screaming how it was a huge success??? LOL...

Last edited:

Recon443

When you are a company that is built around delivering an incredible guest experience, and an initiative like MM+ not only doesn't enhance my experience, it makes it worse. Then yes, it is a failure. It didn't enhance my visit. It didn't make my visit of the same quality as pre-MM+. It was a lesser experience for a higher cost. That is a failure. It may be a fixable problem, but when guests have a worse experience than if you (Disney) had done nothing, that's a failure.

I am about to rideRadiator Springs Racers for the first time. And somehow, the lack of MM+ andMBs isn't hurting my experience here in SoCal.
Well it definitely enhanced my experience. Made my whole trip a real pleasure. Oh but wait, my experience doesn't count as a success since your experience is infinitely more important when determining success or failure. I know that as soon as I recognize how much more important your opinion is than mine, then all will be fine in the world.

RSR? The exact reason to have the MB system at DCA. Nothing beats the mad dash to the FP kiosk as soon as the park opens to say enjoyable experience. Everybody hand over their tickets to the fastest person in the party so they can dash ahead to get FP's. Ready, set, go! Yeah I know no running.......I am just walking very, very, fast. Oops another kid knocked down. Oh this is so enjoyable.

Now if there was only a way to pre-plan my visit and reserve my FP time well in advance........if only such a system existed.....

Admiral01

Premium Member
Well it definitely enhanced my experience. Made my whole trip a real pleasure. Oh but wait, my experience doesn't count as a success since your experience is infinitely more important when determining success or failure. I know that as soon as I recognize how much more important your opinion is than mine, then all will be fine in the world.

RSR? The exact reason to have the MB system at DCA. Nothing beats the mad dash to the FP kiosk as soon as the park opens to say enjoyable experience. Everybody hand over their tickets to the fastest person in the party so they can dash ahead to get FP's. Ready, set, go! Yeah I know no running.......I am just walking very, very, fast. Oops another kid knocked down. Oh this is so enjoyable.

Now if there was only a way to pre-plan my visit and reserve my FP time well in advance........if only such a system existed.....

Let's get a few things straight. First, I opened my last post by saying that your position and experience was valid. You are attacking me for something I didn't say. I am happy it enhanced your experience. Your experience was clearly very different from mine. I am happy that you did enjoy MM+ and the MBs. I am happy that Disney has been able to invest $1.5 into a system that you do utilize, and have a good experience with.

On your second point, my visit to DCA (and DL) today is the exact reason why the MBs and FP+ are a terrible idea. My visit today was spontaneous, following a day of work as I travel out here to California. My MB is back in my apartment on the east coast, because I don't carry the dumb thing around with me. I do have my AP with me, however, that was securely in my wallet with my credit cards. I was able to leave work today, head straight to Anaheim (about 45 minutes away) and ride RSR, Soarin, and Indy, as well as Pirates, Haunted Mansion Holiday, and a few others - all without waiting more than a half hour. The parks were packed, but the lines weren't too long. I walked onto RSR, and got a FP for Soarin and Indy. Had this been WDW, the FP+ system would have "sold out" all the rides long before I even arrived on property in the afternoon. So, I'm very happy that there isn't a system in place here at DLR where I can pre-plan my visit and reserve all my FP months in advance. If there had been, my experience at Disneyland today would have sucked, just like my last visit to WDW. Instead, it was quite enjoyable...unlike my last visit to WDW.

I never needed to do a mad dash in the morning at any of the WDW parks. I typically arrive around noon, and there used to be FPs available, in whatever park I ended up going. Now WDW management wants me to plan my whole vacation down to the ride time, and I refuse to do that. It doesn't enhance my experience. Quite the opposite.

You had a good enhanced experience with MM+, MBs, and FP+. I'm glad, and I respect your opinion. My bad experience is just as valid as your good experience. In my opinion, any "enhancement" that Disney makes to their parks should be exactly that. My experience with MM+ not only wasn't an enhancement, it was a step backwards from the enjoyment level I had before MM+. A company like Disney shouldn't accept that their actions reduce the enjoyment level of their product for any number of their guests. Their options were: A) spend no money and maintain the status quo in regards to FP and tickets and room charging, or B) spend $1.5B to "enhance" the FP and ticketing and room charging process which enhances some people's vacations, but makes others less enjoyable. "A" would have been a more appropriate choice.

But I'm glad you like what WDW did with $1.5B. I prefer what Disneyland did with $1.5B...and I experienced it tonight without a FP+ or a MagicBand...

SirLink

2 hours is actually a long sample size for this place. How many things have been deemed a complete failure before they were even rolled out?

Or even have infrastructure installed, product built then after a few years retreated to their offices saying "you were right internet crazy community" and that was just PAL Mickey.

So give it a few years...

Facepalm

non-resort guests will not be able to book in advance, and Fastpass+ availability will be divided between advanced booking and day-of, so yes, there will still be day-of availability.

Actually, they have already stated they dont intend to hold any back. Which means that if at 30 days everything is booked, no there will not be any day of. There is enough rooms on sight to ensure a ride like TSMM is rarely available to an offsighter as it will be long gone. How in the world do you imagine flexibility will exists with a greater amount of people booking in advance in the future with no addtional attractions to eat up the demand?

ryan1

Actually, they have already stated they dont intend to hold any back. Which means that if at 30 days everything is booked, no there will not be any day of. There is enough rooms on sight to ensure a ride like TSMM is rarely available to an offsighter as it will be long gone. How in the world do you imagine flexibility will exists with a greater amount of people booking in advance in the future with no addtional attractions to eat up the demand?

You are acting like you won't be able to ride a ride if all the fast passes for that day are taken. You can always wait in line, you know like how EVERYONE use to do it before fastpasses even existed. I don't like the fast pass system at all because it has made several ride lines change over the years (Pirates and Haunted Mansion especially) and I rarely use a FP but I also go when crowds are low so the there isn't a need for one.

Facepalm

You are acting like you won't be able to ride a ride if all the fast passes for that day are taken. You can always wait in line, you know like how EVERYONE use to do it before fastpasses even existed. I don't like the fast pass system at all because it has made several ride lines change over the years (Pirates and Haunted Mansion especially) and I rarely use a FP but I also go when crowds are low so the there isn't a need for one.

Sooooo.....Wait 3 hours to ride or GTFO? Ok. You do realize that people will be able to see in advance of a park day that no FP exist for attractions they may be interested in, and therefor decide not to go at all.

You know what else didnt used to exist? The many thousands of rooms onsight that will be booking rides at 60+

You do realize that not everyone goes/can go during low crowd periods dont you? Or that what is important to you is not what works for all dont you?

Posters like yourself continue to take it personally when this billion+ dollar trainwreck is pointed out for what it is. A bad idea that is lessening for many the experience and potentially jeapordizing WDW as a desired destination through its failure.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sooooo.....Wait 3 hours to ride or GTFO? Ok. You do realize that people will be able to see in advance of a park day that no FP exist for attractions they may be interested in, and therefor decide not to go at all.

Sorry - all these 'facts' people keep throwing around don't add up when used together.

Disney claims people on average used less than 2 FPs a day. Obviously the majority of people weren't hinging their trips on if they could get a FP or not if so many people are NOT using FP. So I doubt Disney is going to see an exodus because someone doesn't get a FP booked. If someone decides to goto a different park at WDW based on FP availability.. hello.. that's exactly what Disney would want.

Other's claim the total # of FPs hasn't changed... so if that's the case, impact on standby won't have increased either.

People are picking on one thing at a time... that when put together.. all conflict each other.

Cesar R M

Sorry - all these 'facts' people keep throwing around don't add up when used together.

Disney claims people on average used less than 2 FPs a day. Obviously the majority of people weren't hinging their trips on if they could get a FP or not if so many people are NOT using FP. So I doubt Disney is going to see an exodus because someone doesn't get a FP booked. If someone decides to goto a different park at WDW based on FP availability.. hello.. that's exactly what Disney would want.

Other's claim the total # of FPs hasn't changed... so if that's the case, impact on standby won't have increased either.

People are picking on one thing at a time... that when put together.. all conflict each other.
When you have an avalanche of people who are new or who dont know what a FP is.. of course the statistics will always look as low "average of less than 2 fps a day". ;)

also, interesting that the forum was cleaned again.. all my posts were removed as well.

ryan1

You know what else didnt used to exist? The many thousands of rooms onsight that will be booking rides at 60+

You do realize that not everyone goes/can go during low crowd periods dont you? Or that what is important to you is not what works for all dont you?

Posters like yourself continue to take it personally when this billion+ dollar trainwreck is pointed out for what it is. A bad idea that is lessening for many the experience and potentially jeapordizing WDW as a desired destination through its failure.

Whooaa.. I am in no way defending this fastpass+. I think its a terrible idea from the get go and the money would have been much better spent on rides and or other areas of the parks. Posters like myself want Disney to continue to do innovative things and bring new attractions to the parks NOT make me book a fast pass way before I get there.

But you can shove your assumption of a poster like me where your fastpass goes.

I do realize not everyone can go during down times. You know what everyone who goes to Disney during spring break or holidays or summer knows? That it is going to be crowded during those times! So they expect crowds and lines. The fast passes don't cure anything about the large crowds.

I'm sorry you didn't like what i posted but don't assume that I take anything personally. I hate the fastpass system in its entirety so I don't get people complaining that they have to stand in lines because before fast passes we all stood in lines and people still do stand in lines even with fast passes.

Disneyfamily4

Disney is lying if they claim that the average person only used 2 fast passes per day. Lets face it, by saying people only used 2 passes, that is pretty much saying the average guest only goes on two rides per visit. The Fact is, if you used the fast pass once, you know how great it is to not wait in line, therefore you are not stopping at 2 per day. I would love to read this article, because it is such a blatant lie.

jrlang1

Disney is lying if they claim that the average person only used 2 fast passes per day. Lets face it, by saying people only used 2 passes, that is pretty much saying the average guest only goes on two rides per visit. The Fact is, if you used the fast pass once, you know how great it is to not wait in line, therefore you are not stopping at 2 per day. I would love to read this article, because it is such a blatant lie.

I disagree. Me and my family like to sleep in late and usually only get 1 or 2 a day, because by the time we get their all of the good FB are gone and we don't run around to get them. We like to take our time. For our families style this system is great but for the hardened Disney visitor with a system to get the most out of it this may reduce the number per day

Tom Morrow

I haven't heard this. What I have heard is that there will be Fastpasses reserved for day-of guests. Its not surprising that there is misinformation around this - there has been the entire time and the plans change constantly.
If you only rode rides using Fastpass, then you have no idea how to "do" the parks and you shouldn't be commenting on something like this.

psukardi

Here's the thing - it's hard to prove that it's a lie if we don't have their information. Given that, here's something a professor shared with me in college. He said , "There are lies , darned lies and statistics." Disney will spin numbers the way that makes sense to them. We don't know their sample sizes or how they looked at it in general. Was it FP per park, FP per person per park? We have no clue

flynnibus

Premium Member
When you have an avalanche of people who are new or who dont know what a FP is.. of course the statistics will always look as low "average of less than 2 fps a day". ;)

I'm not debating that such stats are heavily skewed by n00bs... but one must accept that if this stat is true.. the idea that 'people won't come unless they have available FPs' is bunkus.

ParentsOf4

Given that, here's something a professor shared with me in college. He said , "There are lies , darned lies and statistics."
Mark Twain was a pretty smart guy. ;)

Generally, the quote is attributed to Twain but he never claimed that he originated it. As I recall, he claimed it came from British PM Disraeli.

I suspect it was a reasonably well-known phrase and Twain simply popularized its use.

I agree with you bigger point though. The quote is very true. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom