FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanUSC

Apples and oranges. The technology for FP+ and MDE wasn’t available to the masses until smart phones became common place. FP+ ending because of a once in a century pandemic doesn’t mean it was a failure. FP+ worked fine. It’s not coming back right now for the same reason paper fastpasses haven’t come back at DL. They are still working on a paid system. Wanting to charge for something previously free is no indictment on FP+s effectiveness.

Of course smartphones were necessary. However, all of Disney's backend systems (including paper FP) were outdated and disconnected from eachother. MDE began as backend integration but the bells and whistles of it allowed for a lot of ways to data mine, market and save money elsewhere. FP+ being one area, in that it saved them from capital investment by directing people underused areas of the park.

FP+ had grown to be a headache for a variety of reasons and there were discussions underway about changing it prior to COVID. However, COVID gave them an excuse and opportunity to re-evaluate how they operated, re-creating many things from scratch.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Throwing Great Wolf Lodge in there is laughable.
This is my point. These places all in cost more than Disney does. So imo to say Disney is so expensive is not accurate. Lets not even get into Rockin Horse Ranch which went for over 1100 per day. Maybe my point wasnt clear enough.

ImperfectPixie

This is my point. These places all in cost more than Disney does. So imo to say Disney is so expensive is not accurate. Lets not even get into Rockin Horse Ranch which went for over 1100 per day. Maybe my point wasnt clear enough.
Great Wolf is a fraction of Disney. We've never paid more than $100 per night. EVER. Because I won't...it's a crap-hole....the entire place.

And that's for 4 of us. I'm trying to steer my youngest towards other entertainment venues.

Last edited:

EeyoreFan#24

I think even before COVID, wdw would be roasted if they still had paper fast passes in this modern iPhone world.

regardless of backend issues, just being that far behind on a major customer facing process would be laughable. I have plenary of dumb internal literal paperwork, but customers better not have any of that experience.

TrojanUSC

I think even before COVID, wdw would be roasted if they still had paper fast passes in this modern iPhone world.

regardless of backend issues, just being that far behind on a major customer facing process would be laughable. I have plenary of dumb internal literal paperwork, but customers better not have any of that experience.

Why? Disneyland had old school FP until the very end. MaxPass was the digital component, but it was an add-on. Not free.

ParentsOf4

I just do not agree, the park entrance costs are in line. Even from you own numbers they are not out of line. Your 3 dollar ticket went to 31 which is 10.1 times more and our 35 dollar 3 Day hopper is about 11.1 times more, but Dinsy has two more parks now and the overhead is spread across the entire 4 park system.
You're completely missing the point of my post. I'm comparing inflation-adjusted ticket prices across several decades to show what they equate to today, and then comparing them again to what they actually are today. You cannot simply say "this one is 10.1 times more and that one is 11.1 times more" when the tickets are decades apart. :)

I'll present the prices differently, to see if this makes it clearer. Let's look at inflation-converted prices, and then see how much those same tickets actually cost today.

Atlanta Braves ticket:
Today's actual price: $15.00

The point is, you don't have to pay a crazy price to go to a Major League game. It's still possible to get a comfortable bleacher seat for a Major League game at a new, state-of-the-art ballpark for a good price.

Boston Red Sox ticket:
Then (adjusted for inflation): $20
Today's actual price: $31
Increase: 55%

This means that over several decades, a sample bleacher seat at Fenway Park has increased 55% faster than inflation.

Chicago White Sox ticket:
Then (adjusted for inflation): $26
Today's actual price: $40
Increase: 54%

Similar to Fenway Park, a sample Guaranteed Rate Field infield seat has increased 54% faster than inflation.

WDW 3-day hopper ticket:
Then (adjusted for inflation): $95 (with tax)
Today's actual price: $413 (with tax)
Increase: 335%

That's not a typo. Even after adjusting for inflation, a WDW ticket has increased a whopping 335%!

I'll repeat what I wrote early: WDW price increases are insane.

Now it appears Disney will soon charge even more for what used to be included in the price of that $413 ticket (FastPass+). You're paying $413 and soon will be getting less!

Repeating it again, WDW price increases are insane.

Last edited:

DorysDitty

We are taking a Disney break. Our trip two weeks ago was the last on our annual passes (that we bought two price hikes ago). To renew today at 15% off is $200 more per AP than we originally paid. That, coupled with the fact that we got down there at lunch time, but couldn’t go into a park that we have freaking annual passes for and the lack of FP+, is the reason we are taking a break. I could have moved one of my precious 3 park reservations, but then I’d risk not picking up a DHS one later in the week or have to sacrifice a holiday weekend day. We are “that Disney family” around home, but we go on a budget. I’m not paying $200+/night for two beds and a toilet. I’d rather go more often and stay in my fave condo at Windsor Hills. I’m definitely not paying for FP for a family of 4 and I don’t like waiting in hour long lines. Hence, why we’re taking a break.

dovetail65

You're completely missing the point of my post. I'm comparing inflation-adjusted ticket prices across several decades to show what they equate to today, and then comparing them again to what they actually are today. You cannot simply say "this one is 10.1 times more and that one is 11.1 times more" when the tickets are decades apart. :)

I'll present the prices differently, to see if this makes it clearer. Let's look at inflation-converted prices, and then see how much those same tickets actually cost today.

Atlanta Braves ticket:

The point is, you don't have to pay a crazy price to go to a Major League game. It's still possible to get a comfortable bleacher seat for a Major League game at a new, state-of-the-art ballpark for a good price.

Boston Red Sox ticket:

This means that over several decades, a sample bleacher seat at Fenway Park has increased 55% faster than inflation.

Similar to Fenway Park, a sample Guaranteed Rate Field infield seat has increased 54% faster than inflation.

WDW 3-day hopper ticket:

That's not a typo. Even after adjusting for inflation, a WDW ticket has increased a whopping 335%!

I'll repeat what I wrote early: WDW price increases are insane.a billion a year to operate only ask 109 a day to getin , 54 a day if you are to a longer stay

Now it appears Disney will soon charge even more for what used to be included in the price of that $413 ticket (FastPass+). You're paying $413 and soon will be getting less!

Well we can agree to disagree, the park themselves compared to things today just are not that expensive.

I am not sure what you do for fun, but we saw Streisdan in 2016, two ticket for my wife and I cost what 6 10 day passes cost us.

First row Black Sabbath adn another to see Oxxy

Atlanta Braves ticket:

Boston Red Sox ticket:

WDW 3-day hopper ticket:

I'll repeat what I wrote early: WDW price increases are in

Repeating it again, WDthe same as W price increases are insane.
First, I can not argue with your feelings. If you feel the pricing to get in to WDW is too much than it is too much.

Baseball a sport that is not as popular as it once was. When I was a kid and the Cubs SUCKED and we could hardly get a bleacher seats back then. W would have to hop the train and go early to make sure we could get in. As I aged the stadiums, both Comisky(will always be that for me) and Wrigley becasme half empty for many games(not sure about now with Covid). If a baseball game is as much fun for you as a day at Disney that's great. In my thinking it is hardly a good comparison for most Americans in 2021. That being said this has me thinking that I should get to a game this year!

I guess what fun event we want to compare makes a difference. Let's forget comparing inflation for a minute and stay within the last 5 years or so and what is out there right now entertainment, even movies.
One day at Disney for a locals right now with a deal cost 54 bucks if they commit to 4 days, one per park. The regular pricing is 109 to 159. of course 10 days goes as low as 54 a day I believe. And AP are actuly the best deal even with their massive increases since I started paying for them in 2016. One year we went so many times I think my wife said the cost came out to 16 a day.

Anyhow, one concert to see Streisand in 2016 cost us for two tickets what SIX 10 day passes at WDW cost. A front row to a Broadway show cost us very near what a 5 day pass cost per ticket. Let's not even get into after market pricing. I saw Black Sabbath dead center first row in 2016 and Ozzy 2018 first row very near center, each of those concerts cost us what my entire family of 6 would have paid for 10 day passes.

Now let's talk football(again),. Most regular non scalped NFL tickets average price is 151.00, right there is what a day at Disney cost max for a non local, but we get massive traffic and 3 hour game compared to a day in the park. After market NFL tickets most times is the only way to even get an NFL ticket and can easily cost 2 to 5 times that.

I have gone to IMAX 3D movies that cost us 31 bucks each! I am going to see Jungle Cruise next week the tickets are 15.00 each. So if a movie cost us 15 bucks out here out here in bumble IL than what should a day at Disney cost? 30 bucks? I think not. Locals right now pay 54.00 for WDW, that sure is an amazing deal for what you get. I think if a single movie is 15 bucks that a day at a Disney park is well worth 150 bucks, FOR ME. Fact is anyone searching for any kind of Value for WDW entrance ticket prices goes to WDW for a week getting those daily ticket prices down to close to 65 a day or ten days for even less.

I know I repeated myself here, but for ME the park entrance fee is hardly the issue, it's the food and hotels that have gone insane, especially the hotel rates. The onsite WDW daily hotel rates are the stressors on my picket book and that is the reason we stopped using hotels.

Everyone has their own preferences and way of thinking. I like Disney(well I love WDW). I probably give more leeway in what I think a fair entrance fee might be verse others than can give or take a theme park for a day.

I will say I am not arguing that a daily pass of 109.00 to 159.00 bucks is a pittance, that is a days work for many people. In that respect yes the WDW Park entrance fees are a high cost for many people. I just can not be convinced that the entrance fees are not worth it or even out of line for 2021. There are so many things that cost 109 to 159 per person in today's world.

SteveAZee

Atlanta Braves ticket:

Boston Red Sox ticket:

WDW 3-day hopper ticket:

It does seem insane. I guess it's harder to quantify what you now get for the price for a three day park hopper... i.e. the things that have been added to the resort since 1983. It seems like a lot, but maybe not enough to justify that sort of increase.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
These wait times really are getting crazy.
I think they need to do something soon.
I have 5 day park hoppers for late August and I get the feeling I'm not going to be able to do some of my favorites due to these long waits.
At least bring back M&G's to help eat some of the people.

ParentsOf4

It does seem insane. I guess it's harder to quantify what you now get for the price for a three day park hopper... i.e. the things that have been added to the resort since 1983. It seems like a lot, but maybe not enough to justify that sort of increase.
As I sometimes say, give me the 1983 level of quality and service at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot at $95 for a three-day ticket, and I’ll bulldoze DHS and DAK.

The Magic Kingdom and Epcot were 3 days of entertainment in 1983, and they are still 3 days of entertainment today. (Some would debate that.)

Disney did not build DHS and DAK so I would cram all 4 parks in 3 days. They built those parks (and more) so I’d spend my entire vacation at WDW, so I’d buy a 6 or 7 day ticket, so I’d stay onsite for an entire week.

Disney built all that extra stuff to try to get me to spend even more, not to improve the value of my 1983 3-day ticket. :)

The primary issue I have with the rumored FP+ is that it cheapens the value of my already very expensive WDW ticket.

That mostly what corporate Disney does nowadays: take value away from paying customers and give it to shareholders.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

As I sometimes say, give me the 1983 level of quality and service at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot at $95 for a three-day ticket, and I’ll bulldoze DHS and DAK.

The Magic Kingdom and Epcot were 3 days of entertainment in 1983, and they are still 3 days of entertainment today. (Some would debate that.)

Disney did not build DHS and DAK so I would cram all 4 parks in 3 days. They built those parks (and more) so I’d spend my entire vacation at WDW, so I’d buy a 6 or 7 day ticket, so I’d stay onsite for an entire week.

Disney built all that extra stuff to try to get me to spend even more, not to improve the value of my 1983 3-day ticket. :)

That sounds great (although losing DAK would be very difficult), but the issue is that it would be logistically impossible today. As soon as you priced it at $95 for three days, it would destroy that quality/service. Almost every ride would have 2+ hour lines and even finding food would be a huge hassle because the parks would be absolutely mobbed every single day. It would be miserable.

As I said above, I don't really have any issue with the ticket pricing. I have an issue with the pricing of almost everything else, though, and paid FP+ will make things significantly worse.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Atlanta Braves ticket:

Boston Red Sox ticket:

WDW 3-day hopper ticket:

What's more insane--Disney raising prices like that knowing people will pay it, or the people who will pay those prices?

DorysDitty

What's more insane--Disney raising prices like that knowing people will pay it, or the people who will pay those prices?
The second! These are the same people that don’t blink at $400 a night for a hotel room. Even pre pandemic, I never could figure that out. Don’t know where they’re from and used to paying, but I know it isn’t northeast Georgia!

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
The second! These are the same people that don’t blink at $400 a night for a hotel room. Even pre pandemic, I never could figure that out. Don’t know where they’re from and used to paying, but I know it isn’t northeast Georgia!

I'm willing to pay because I love WDW not because I have an endless supply of money.
I definitely blinked an eye at the price of my Poly room for next month but since I had 2 less expensive trips planned for last year and neither happened I figured meh I'll spend the same mount that I was going to spend for last year and this year on this year's trips and have a new experience.
Its opportunity costs really. I'm spending my money at Disney and giving up something else vs having it both ways.

G00fyDad

So, I am guessing that we may hear something this Friday (since August 1st is on a Sunday) about FP+ or its replacement. Of course a guess is all that it is because I have ZERO insider knowledge. I am just guessing that they'd want the replacement up and running 2 months before the 50th. 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, I am guessing that we may hear something this Friday (since August 1st is on a Sunday) about FP+ or its replacement. Of course a guess is all that it is because I have ZERO insider knowledge. I am just guessing that they'd want the replacement up and running 2 months before the 50th. 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

I'm guessing that since insiders are telling us WDW doesn't have a definitive plan yet, this will continue to drag on for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom