FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdude81

This trip without FP is tough. Early rise and rope drop gets you a ride or twowith acceptable waits. After that, without shows, it's tough. Thankfully somes rides like Pirates and ToT were built before FP and have interesting good queues. Honestly I'm reassessing coming back in August until they either stop increasing park guests or bring back fp. Universal will gladly take more of my money

LittleBuford

now you are using possible but generally less desirable scenarios to make it all sound possible- when it is not. Sure you can get philharmagic FPs… or FPs for a group of two… but the vast majority can’t get what they actually want.

which is kinda the point. Non desirable FP are worthless FP. They are there so disney can make the sales pitch you are doing now and duping customers into going to attractions so disney increases utilization.

No again you skip over the critical points. Its not getting just any ticket… it’s getting the desirable stuff and acting like its no big deal… where everyone else struggles to get similar results. The bot guys experience is not typical nor is it the intended way.

I don’t think you understand software design.
At any one moment, hundreds of people are checking the app for day-of availability, and all of those people—whether they are serial refreshers or opening the app for the first time in an hour—have the chance to secure whatever shows up at that moment. Some will be content with the selection they see, while others will refresh the app hoping for something different (and not necessarily “better”—believe it or not, one of the FastPasses I’ve looked for and got by refreshing was for the much-maligned Voyage of the Little Mermaid, which had unusually long wait times during one visit). Would you prefer that people not be given the option to look again?

Many here have said they dislike having to spend any amount of time on their phones securing the next FastPass, and I respect that. But that doesn’t mean that those of us who take a different approach—one accommodated by the app itself and involving no-one’s time and energy but our own—are doing anything remotely wrong or unfair.

LittleBuford

Not everyone wants to visit a theme park and hit refresh constantly all day long to commando the system. If you casually use the system (for lack of a better term) and use the 3 and than the rest of your day is standby its pretty meh.
Is there really no spectrum between these two extremes? You don’t have to “refresh constantly” in order to continue getting FastPasses after you’ve gone through your prebooked three, as well as after each subsequent day-of selection. Why wouldn’t someone in this position check the app (without repeatedly refreshing) just to see what’s on offer at that moment rather than shrug and resign themselves to standby lines for the rest of the day?

StaceyH_SD

Your correct. However the way the budgets are allocated needs to change certain things should be in stone and not even allowed to be cut OR just dont built the ride.
I agree. And considering it’s a chronic problem that’s been going on for years there’s not really an excuse at this point. If nothing else, the burden should be on ops to have the basics for the queues ready to go when a new ride opens - shade, for example. If you know the queue is going to be outside just get some umbrellas or shade structures out there out there.

kinglsyyy

I liked Fast Passes, but if we ever went on a whim or didn’t book them till a few weeks out, most of the top attractions were gone.
Even at 30 days out SSD,SDMT, FOP, not available.

So I see both sides of the argument. I did constantly refresh and on occasion you could catch one of these coveted attractions day of.

Combined with rope drop, Fast Passes, and constant refreshing I was able to maximize my day.

But during covid with no Fast Passes I was able with rope drop and crush it. Easily ride everything in a day. Not sure if this an attendance related or not, the wait times have been really good compared to years past.

I think the issue with the Fast Passes where people were gaming the system even harder, by booking resort stays then canceling and the Fast Passes stayed. I know they fixed that right before Covid, I think. And I also believe there was another loop hole I forgot about as well with that people figured out.

Jiminy76

Just got back on Thursday after spending a week in the parks and the parks are very crowded and the lines are getting very long on the majority of attractions. Rope dropping may get you 1 or 2 rides with minimal waits but after that the hoards show up and the waits for most rides are 50 plus minutes. I got to the point where I gave up on rope dropping and opted for showing up later as it was not worth the effort of getting up early every morning. I just had to come to grips that I would be spending 6 plus hours a day in line. A silver lining to this was it reduced the time my wife and daughter were in the gift shops 😄

Jedijax719

Not everyone wants to visit a theme park and hit refresh constantly all day long to commando the system. If you casually use the system (for lack of a better term) and use the 3 and than the rest of your day is standby its pretty meh. I think the issue isn't even on E tickets its on high capacity c tickets. The haunted mansion and pirates of the Caribbean come to mind. These waits shouldn't be what they are. 90 minutes for that? No thanks.

To be fair park attendance has done nothing but go up and disney has NOT increased MK capacity in any way shape or form. All they have done is make the exsisting capacity more popular thus actually worsening the problem. (Replacing less popular things with more popular things that dont actually move any more people)

I can rope drop mk and walk on everything of value if i do a smart FP and rope drop combo using all the data we have access to. However i stand by my statement that this is really silly. The park shouldn't be so underbuilt.

in conclusion yes fastpass is great if you optimize and commando it but thats at a direct detriment to anyone not doing the same thing. IE most guests. So yes i cant say something that negatively affects most guests for the benefit of the few is good.

I know i know they should just plan better or be as smart as everyone else right? Silly guests.
I'm not saying you have to use it for every ride. We went during a 9/10 crowd level, used our 3 FP's per day that were pre-scheduled, and then maybe used it once or twice per day after that. Most rides had available times immediately after our 3rd FP. The only one I remembered having to refresh more than once was Soarin'. But that was because we couldn't do Frozen Forever and Soarin on the same set of FP's (our daughter was 6 at the time so we FF was a priority lol).

I do understand that not everyone goes for 5-7 days and that it is less of a necessity to have to search for more FP's if you are able to spread out the rides over a few days. (of course, at the time we didn't do Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, RNR Roller coaster).

From my perspective, the only way you'd have to stay on your phone getting rides the whole time was if the only way to get FP's was once you are in the park.

I don't think they will announce anything until the demand is extremely high. The apparent wait times right now for most rides are quite manageable. When they become truly oppressive, Disney will announce something. But at that time, they will make it sound desperate so they will get away with charging a LOT for it. If they announced something now, there wouldn't be any reason for anyone to pay a hefty price since it is not 100% necessary. Supply and demand-Disney will play the game like any other company in the world.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Those of us who aren't convinced that FastPass has raised standby wait times to any appreciable degree would still prefer four (or even three) good FastPasses a day to none at all.

Agreed. As I demonstrated earlier, even if you get 3 FPs, 2 of which are not sought after, you can still save 30 minutes in waiting over the course of your day. Get two good FPs and you can easily save 1.5 hrs or more. Get even one additional one for a moderately popular ride (e.g. Pirates or HM) and you're up to 2 hours less waiting in a day.

If you casually use the system (for lack of a better term) and use the 3 and than the rest of your day is standby its pretty meh.

Sure but even then I've waited a decent amount less time in line than I otherwise would have.

Non desirable FP are worthless FP.

If I get 3 additional FPs to Pooh, Teacups, and Barnstormer, and I save 20 minutes of time at each one, that's an hour of my time. Unless I only want to go on the headliners.

I don’t think you understand software design.

As someone who has been doing software architecture, design, and development for 20 years, It's certainly possible to do that in software design, but would be a horrible user experience to not have a refresh. As a product developer I would never do that to my users.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If I get 3 additional FPs to Pooh, Teacups, and Barnstormer, and I save 20 minutes of time at each one, that's an hour of my time. Unless I only want to go on the headliners.

Well in your example, those aren't worthless to you. But in the context of the discussion, just because I CAN get a FP because there are some rando rides available, that doesn't make them valuable if I am not interested in going to those attractions. Ironically the ones you highlight really didn't need FP... until they added FP :)

As someone who has been doing software architecture, design, and development for 20 years, It's certainly possible to do that in software design, but would be a horrible user experience to not have a refresh. As a product developer I would never do that to my users.

As have I, are we gonna compare CVs next?

There is no explicit need for the user to have a refresh as used here. You'd never find a UX spec that showed the user 'Ok, if the attraction doesn't show up in the user's query, they will keep changing times over and over between similar times repeatedly until it does pop up'. It's just people exploiting the architect's choice of which data to filter out on the client vs what data to filter on server, and if it's cached or not. They chose to give the client only a smaller dataset of positive answers instead of letting the client have a larger dataset to pivot through on its own. Lightweight and low complexity for the client. It's what everyone would do if you can count on server load to scale as needed and you are not tasked to optimize the query. They could have also implemented cached responses so the client wouldn't have to retrieve a new list at all if you've recently accessed that time. But they probably figured it's not worth the tradeoff of complexity vs efficiency gained because they wouldn't expect a user to be doing.. exactly what people do in the 'refresh trick' are doing and no one required to shelter the server from such repeated queries.

Obviously providing alternatives and allowing the user to change their passes based on current availability is functionality the app should have, and does. Spamming the current availability response at a high frequency is not what the interaction designers would have set out to do... nor is it their flow for 'how to find a FP'. They designed it so the user picks an available alternative, modifies their search window, or give up and stick with what they have.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Well in your example, those aren't worthless to you. But in the context of the discussion, just because I CAN get a FP because there are some rando rides available, that doesn't make them valuable if I am not interested in going to those attractions. Ironically the ones you highlight really didn't need FP... until they added FP :)

As have I, are we gonna compare CVs next?

There is no explicit need for the user to have a refresh as used here. You'd never find a UX spec that showed the user 'Ok, if the attraction doesn't show up in the user's query, they will keep changing times over and over between similar times repeatedly until it does pop up'. It's just people exploiting the architect's choice of which data to filter out on the client vs what data to filter on server, and if it's cached or not. They chose to give the client only a smaller dataset of positive answers instead of letting the client have a larger dataset to pivot through on its own. Lightweight and low complexity for the client. It's what everyone would do if you can count on server load to scale as needed and you are not tasked to optimize the query. They could have also implemented cached responses so the client wouldn't have to retrieve a new list at all if you've recently accessed that time. But they probably figured it's not worth the tradeoff of complexity vs efficiency gained because they wouldn't expect a user to be doing.. exactly what people do in the 'refresh trick' are doing and no one required to shelter the server from such repeated queries.

Obviously providing alternatives and allowing the user to change their passes based on current availability is functionality the app should have, and does. Spamming the current availability response at a high frequency is not what the interaction designers would have set out to do... nor is it their flow for 'how to find a FP'. They designed it so the user picks an available alternative, modifies their search window, or give up and stick with what they have.

I mean changing that would have been simple to do if they were really concerned about it. Using the app is not a hack or an exploit. There have been legitimate abuses of the system in the past that Disney had rightfully shut down (leading reservations, multiple magic bands, etc), yet this would have been a relatively simple thing to close and they chose not to, because it's not an abuse or exploration of the system. Hitting a refresh or changing times has been known for years. If Disney felt that it was an abuse, they would have closed that. Local caches, rate limiting, those are all trivial things to implement. It's a lot simpler than fixing the leading reservation exploit ..

At the end of the day, neither of us knows Disney's intent here. For all you know, they could consider this fair usage. For all I know they consider it a minor issue they don't want to spend calories to fix. Either way, using the app isn't doing anything exploitative or underhanded. Leading reservations are a bit in the exploitative area, which is why I personally chose never to do that. But using the app? Come on.

StarshipDisney

Getting back to the thread for a moment...I have seen several recent videos on YouTube that show some FP+ machines installed outside Test Track and another that showed some machines at the Magic Kingdom. They said these are recently put back and one video showed how one was uncovered and had the FP+ screen showing.

So perhaps in the dynamics of things coming back now...perhaps we will soon see S-O-M-E-T-H-I-N-G happen with FastPass. I am not arguing what will happen; just that if they are putting the machines back then it seems reasonable that they are likely doing it for a reason.

G00fyDad

Getting back to the thread for a moment...I have seen several recent videos on YouTube that show some FP+ machines installed outside Test Track and another that showed some machines at the Magic Kingdom. They said these are recently put back and one video showed how one was uncovered and had the FP+ screen showing.

So perhaps in the dynamics of things coming back now...perhaps we will soon see S-O-M-E-T-H-I-N-G happen with FastPass. I am not arguing what will happen; just that if they are putting the machines back then it seems reasonable that they are likely doing it for a reason.
This was done early this week. At least Monday if not earlier.
FB_IMG_1624390475388.jpg

FB_IMG_1624390479970.jpg

Jedijax719

Let's not forget the value of FP's for those with dinner reservations. If you have a 6:00 reservation for, say, Be Our Guest, then you pretty much cannot do anything for a whole hour before that time if you don't have any FP's. However, you can do a FP or two within the hour before dinner (depending on when/how you reserve them).

The FP's always provided more bang for the buck for those that had them.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I mean changing that would have been simple to do if they were really concerned about it.

Isn't that what I said? :) Yet before you said 'you'd never do that to your users', so which is it? We all know client side caches are a thing and used all over for good reason. But as outlined before, it's a question of tradeoffs and if there is no explicit requirement and you are told capacity is endless, devs are gonna take the shortest path with the least number of permutations.

Using the app is not a hack or an exploit. There have been legitimate abuses of the system in the past that Disney had rightfully shut down (leading reservations, multiple magic bands, etc), yet this would have been a relatively simple thing to close and they chose not to, because it's not an abuse or exploration of the system. Hitting a refresh or changing times has been known for years. If Disney felt that it was an abuse, they would have closed that. Local caches, rate limiting, those are all trivial things to implement. It's a lot simpler than fixing the leading reservation exploit ..

At the end of the day, neither of us knows Disney's intent here. For all you know, they could consider this fair usage. For all I know they consider it a minor issue they don't want to spend calories to fix. Either way, using the app isn't doing anything exploitative or underhanded. Leading reservations are a bit in the exploitative area, which is why I personally chose never to do that. But using the app? Come on.

I never called it 'a hack' or an 'exploit' nor called it 'abuse'. I said it's a trick... and it is so because it's using the app in a way that the normal user would not do... certainly not in a manner to do so for extended periods waiting for instant availability.

It is a trick people are using to get more FPs than the average bloke. And the comment was if that advantage of getting so many more FPs then the typical person were to go away, would they still feel as happy about FP+? It really is as simple as the person who is well outside the target box saying "whats the big deal? I'm not really limited...".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom