FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

Ok...so you’re recent trips are you “adult” ones where you have control over how and where you want to be?
My longest trip was in 2001 with a friend my age. It was just the two of us, we were both adults, and I had control over the whole itinerary. I know it doesn’t line up with the prevailing narrative here, but I simply didn’t have as much fun in 2001 as I did in early 2020.

seaworld is a very nice park. And one of the better zoo/amusement hybrids around. All AB parks are of really high quality...not Disney...but not a run down six flags either.

universal is themed and good quality...again not Disney...but not that far off. They have spent ten years making it a true resort/escape area as did and did in the 80s and 90s.

the key thing for me is the potter lands are the best additions to any theme park since they opened...avatar would be second...but not that close. They really are amazing...you miss them when you’re gone and I’m not even a potter fan. Only Disney used to do that for me.
That’s fair enough. It’s all very much to do with one’s personal perceptions and experiences, as I noted in my previous post. For some of us Disney devotees, however, nothing else will do. The Wizarding World is very impressive, but a visit there is as much a substitute for Disney as an excellent Italian meal would be when I’m in the mood for a curry. They’re different animals to me, and only one of them is worth the time, effort, and money it takes me to get to Orlando.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Disney has intense roller coasters?
Intense can mean a lot of things. They don’t have anything “holy smokes!” Intense like Maverick at Cedar Point or “dear God” intense like Kingda Ka at the Six Flags in NJ but they do have a lot of Wildcats and wildcats are as intense as anything in their own way.

LittleBuford

I'd also consider some of their non-coaster attractions intense, like Tower of Terror and Mission: Space (I nearly puked during liftoff on the more intense side of Mission: Space). Generally speaking, Disney doesn't have the thrill rides of Universal but that's what I enjoy about it.
Agreed. I go on both of those because my enjoyment of them outweighs the unpleasantness of feeling nauseated, but the same doesn’t go for Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, so I skip it. I also skip the teacups for the same reason!

UNCgolf

I don’t stay in Disney’s own hotels, largely because paying that much makes no sense for me as someone who is at the parks all day (no midday breaks or the like for me). So I too would consider the resorts bad value, but only because my own circumstances make them so. Others clearly feel differently and are happy to pay what Disney is asking for the experience.

I don't use the pools or really take midday breaks either, but I enjoy the themed hotels as part of the experience. But what they offer isn't remotely comparable to the price they charge; you can stay in much nicer hotels for half the price.

Of course, they've also been making some of the hotels less themed/worse IMO, which makes it that much worse.

jlhwdw

IMHO Universals satisfaction advantage comes from their superior guest to ride ratio. Islands of Adventure has 14 rides and 13million guests. Epcot has about the same attendance and 8 rides. Animal kingdom is similar . Magic kingdom has 18 rides but over 20 million guests. Disney just need more to do and no system of line access they come up with can really solve this.
And a park like Cedar Point, when adding up the coasters, flats, water rides, and gentle rides can be in the 30-40 ride range. Which is why I still don't even see the appeal of multi day trips to Universal when both parks combined still have less to do than Cedar Point or Kings Island.

LittleBuford

I don't use the pools or really take midday breaks either, but I enjoy the themed hotels as part of the experience.
I’ll generally set aside a day or half-day for resort hopping (e.g., when I have after-hours tickets only). That way, I get to enjoy the theming without having to pay through the nose!

UNCgolf

I’m nearly 40.

More than age, I feel a really key factor is how central Disney itself is to the experience. For me, it’s critical: I have next to no interest in non-Disney theme parks. The idea that one could instead spend a day or two at Universal or SeaWorld makes absolutely no sense to me, because the ingredient that makes it all worthwhile (for me) is Disney itself.

I'm with you there to an extent -- Universal is the only other theme park that really interests me (outside of Puy du Fou, which is an entirely separate thing), but it's generally a lesser experience than WDW for me.

On the other hand, I absolutely think mid-1990s WDW was a more enjoyable experience. It had better parks/attractions than now (other than missing Animal Kingdom, which is currently my favorite park) and much better/more interesting shops.

2001 is a different story, though, because EPCOT had already been wrecked in many ways by then and DHS was also struggling. Animal Kingdom existed, but there wasn't much there beyond the animals and the Safari (which are still the best part of the park, but the other additions have helped it a lot).

LittleBuford

On the other hand, I absolutely think mid-1990s WDW was a more enjoyable experience. It had better parks/attractions than now (other than missing Animal Kingdom, which is currently my favorite park) and much better/more interesting shops
I like the current lineup of attractions very much and don’t consider them inferior to what was there in the past (though I dislike certain additions/replacements on an individual basis). I’m sorry you no longer find the experience as enjoyable as you used to.

UNCgolf

I like the current lineup of attractions very much and don’t consider them inferior to what was there in the past (though I dislike certain additions/replacements on an individual basis). I’m sorry you no longer find the experience as enjoyable as you used to.

Of course it's all about personal opinions and I'm certainly not saying you're wrong to like them. It's great that you enjoy it more than ever! I still like WDW (or I wouldn't go) but there are many places where I wish I could step back in time 25-30 years and experience what used to be there instead of what's there now.

For me personally, almost everything at EPCOT is worse than what was there before. There hasn't been a single improvement in attractions other than adding Soarin'. That will finally change once Ratatouille opens as a true addition -- I'm not overly enthused about it because I don't think it looks like an especially good ride, but it's an addition and it's not clearly out of theme with the park. DHS is also slightly worse -- the original full studio tour was much better than everything in Toy Story Land combined, and GMR was both better than MMRR and more important for the park (although I like MMRR and would be very happy if it was somewhere else in DHS). Galaxy's Edge is fine, but disappointing compared to Diagon Alley (and I was a much bigger Star Wars fan than HP fan). 20K was much better than 7DMT/Little Mermaid, although it would have needed a serious overhaul by now anyways.

The shops are a whole other thing that really increased the overall experience compared to the homogenous shops that exist throughout WDW today.

Regardless, again, that's just my personal opinion. I understand that it can feel like people are attacking you or suggesting you're wrong to enjoy the parks more now than ever, and I don't mean that at all.

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

I'm with you there to an extent -- Universal is the only other theme park that really interests me (outside of Puy du Fou, which is an entirely separate thing), but it's generally a lesser experience than WDW for me.

On the other hand, I absolutely think mid-1990s WDW was a more enjoyable experience. It had better parks/attractions than now (other than missing Animal Kingdom, which is currently my favorite park) and much better/more interesting shops.

2001 is a different story, though, because EPCOT had already been wrecked in many ways by then and DHS was also struggling. Animal Kingdom existed, but there wasn't much there beyond the animals and the Safari (which are still the best part of the park, but the other additions have helped it a lot).

Perhaps I'm biased but the Disney of 1990s/early 2000s was very different. It was a much less stressful experience (no planning many months out), the food was 100x better in the pre-dining plan era and you could get on most of the less desirable rides within a few minutes most days.

UNCgolf

Perhaps I'm biased but the Disney of 1990s/early 2000s was very different. It was a much less stressful experience (no planning many months out), the food was 100x better in the pre-dining plan era and you could get on most of the less desirable rides within a few minutes most days.

Yeah, I didn't even mention that the food used to be much better. Many of the table service restaurants actually served incredibly good meals instead of being more like an Applebee's.

LittleBuford

Regardless, again, that's just my personal opinion. I understand that it can feel like people are attacking you or suggesting you're wrong to enjoy the parks more now than ever, and I don't mean that at all.
You are very civil, and I know you are not criticising me! I totally understand where you're coming from, even if our experiences and viewpoints differ.

StarshipDisney

So you just proved the point that you really won't spend less you're just "saying" you will.

I don't understand your reasoning. I have always posted about the loss of benefits and how Disney is not worth the cost without them. If Disney brings back all the things I mentioned and we have the pre-COVID benefits back, then yes I will gladly pay.

But with the current state of things...which may well remain the case next September when we planned to go...then I won't pay the big bucks. I will stay in town, mostly eat in town, and only buy park tickets. That will drop what I normally pay Disney by 80%. That is indeed spending less.

I would love if all the benefits we had during my last Contemporary visit come back. My issue has always been that if Disney wants me back at a Disney deluxe resort again then they certainly need to offer a whole lot more than they do today (which is nothing). I believe that I have been consistent on that point. Until and if there are positive changes then you can bet that I will spend less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom