FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy G. Dis

I would pay $x/minute to avoid a meltdown in a long line and I think that x*30 minutes average*at least 3 rides*my entire party ... Well I guess what I mean is it'd be very valuable to me. Don't tell Disney.

Mark48

For people who were able to use the current system to their advantage (or those who can't afford change) - some of the options being thrown around are effectively a death sentence to a vacation at Disney.
" Death Sentence " hits the nail right on the head. Bob Igers preference for only the top income earners completes its evolution. Hotel costs-Park ticket costs-Charge for Fastpasses . It all fits neatly in a big green bow.

LittleBuford

For people who were able to use the current system to their advantage (or those who can't afford change) - some of the options being thrown around are effectively a death sentence to a vacation at Disney.
I wouldn’t go that far speaking for myself, but as someone who always got a lot out of FP+, I agree that the proposed replacements sound terrible by comparison.

lentesta

Premium Member
@marni1971

Is there any self-awareness from WDW or corporate as to how unbalanced attendance, capacity, Fastpass distribution is? Do they recognize the error building new attractions with the capacities they have? Whatever FP option comes next, is the expectation that the distribution of Fastpass vs Standby stays about where it's been or is there consideration of the standby experience and in the future, the goal of FP distribution as a total of ride seats will be more limited? Or is it just demand >> supply = $$$, nothing changes, except the credit card receipts for the privilege.

Also, did anyone here purchase lot 1025 from the Van Eaton Disney auction with the report of MK floor plans and capacities through 1975? I was kinda dreaming @lentesta bought it and would be willing to share the numbers. But at $5K before buyer premium, all of us regular folks were probably priced out.

I think I know who got it. Let me ask around.

JD80

I've got three young kids, I usually go to Disney for 7-10 days. Parties or $100 per day FP options make it $500 per day.

No thanks.

Many have mentioned this already, but Disney is looking to make money over the FP lanes. They have a target in mind on what level of FP they need to make acceptable money and also not impact the guest experience. I have no idea what that is.

May $100+ a day for an FP option is aimed at solo travellers, well off families, or couples without kids (or retirees) .

TheMaxRebo

Depending on the structure - and how many of the paid FPs they give out (so how much standby is impacted) it could really push my family out

If something like Lightning Pass comes true, and it is $100-$300/person/day AND if the standby lines are all hours long, we might be out as I can't pay $1,000+ extra per day for my family. And even if they add it as included if staying Deluxe (like at Universal) we really can't swing Deluxe pricing either

So we would either be done or at the very least going like every 3-5 years instead of every year.

Now, there are other structures that we could make work (something like Shanghai's bundles) but the $100+/person/day is just not going to happen for us

pdude81

Let's say 2000 people bought an unlimited pass at $150 per ticket. I'll guess you'd get to use 15fp per day so 30000 FPs total. Translates to 300k revenue at $10 per ride skip.

Or you have a cheaper option but limited. 10,000 offerings total of 3fp each. ($20 a day fee for digital platform like the west coast is used to paying for) and $30 for a 3 fp package. 10k * 50 or 500k revenue for the same 30000 passes.

In both cases there are still a decent amount of passes that can be given "free" per prior capacity, if we assume lower crowds moving forward. Even if they don't charge for the platform since it was always free before, the revenue matches without looking quite as greedy.

Granted, these are all numbers I made up, but I just don't see a case that makes sense at all for unlimited passes. Not unless you make them so expensive that nobody buys them AND the company takes a PR hit.

havoc315

For those saying "nobody" would buy a $150-$300 daily fastpass option..

Boo Bash tickets are $129-$169 per person. The event offers very little except low wait times (and some popcorn and ice cream novelties).
If people are willing to spend $169 for 3 hours of low lines late at night, wouldn't the same people likely be willing to spend MORE than $169 for low lines for an entire day?

Jedijax719

$100/day/person would never happen-at least not for 3 fast passes.

Now, maybe they'd do something like
$30/person/day for 3 fast passes.
$100/person/day for unlimited fast passes.

I could see something like that. They may end up making the fast pass option a tiered option like the dining plan.

danv3

$100/day/person would never happen-at least not for 3 fast passes.

Now, maybe they'd do something like
$30/person/day for 3 fast passes.
$100/person/day for unlimited fast passes.

I could see something like that. They may end up making the fast pass option a tiered option like the dining plan.
Your prices are way too low. Everyone would buy at those price points. It's going to be $100/person/day at a bare minimum. As someone noted above, look at the Boo Bash prices.

G00fyDad

Boo Bash tickets are $129-$169 per person. The event offers very little except low wait times (and some popcorn and ice cream novelties).
If people are willing to spend $169 for 3 hours of low lines late at night, wouldn't the same people likely be willing to spend MORE than $169 for low lines for an entire day?
This is the gasoline vs milk argument all over again. People may be willing to pay that much for the Boo Bash for one night but they are not paying that for the Boo Bash every single day.

pdude81

Your prices are way too low. Everyone would buy at those price points. It's going to be $100/person/day at a bare minimum. As someone noted above, look at the Boo Bash prices.
Don't forget that Boo Bash is not only low crowds, but also increased staffing expenses for later park operations and special treats/entertainment options. Paid fastpass is just getting paid for what they already were giving out for free. So if everybody paid $30 for the 3 fastpasses they got before, then that's a whole bunch of money.

Pretty good problem to have

havoc315

This is the gasoline vs milk argument all over again. People may be willing to pay that much for the Boo Bash for one night but they are not paying that for the Boo Bash every single day.

So what?

Remember, the goal is a paid FP system is to limit the demand. The goal is NOT to sell it to everyone every day.

So lots of guests would buy it for ZERO days.
Some guests would buy it for 1-2 days of an entire trip.
Some guests would indeed buy it for every day of their trip.

Sounds like a a hugely successful model.

havoc315

We keep seeing people make this argument.
It basically comes down to, "oh..... I'd be willing to pay $30 for 3 fastpasses. I wouldn't personally pay $100. Therefore, I'm going to project that nobody would pay the $100."

WDW draws an average of 160,000 guests per day.
The goal is not to sell all 160,000 fastpasses for $30.

The goal is to only sell FPs to maybe 16,000-32,000 out of those 160,000.
The goal is to sell 16,000 FPs for $200 each (for example).

Jedijax719

We keep seeing people make this argument.
It basically comes down to, "oh..... I'd be willing to pay $30 for 3 fastpasses. I wouldn't personally pay $100. Therefore, I'm going to project that nobody would pay the $100."

WDW draws an average of 160,000 guests per day.
The goal is not to sell all 160,000 fastpasses for $30.

The goal is to only sell FPs to maybe 16,000-32,000 out of those 160,000.
The goal is to sell 16,000 FPs for $200 each (for example).
You also don't want to do something that will potentially double the cost of a family's entire trip.

Trying to get more money from less people is a very tricky business model-especially for something that is designed for families.

@G00fyDad you're spot on! The Boo Bash comparison makes no sense. The folks that go to Boo Bash are a specific crowd that know what they are doing and doing it for one night. The fraction of people attending that event is tiny compared to how many go the rest of the year. Riding on rides is not an event. It is part of the trip itself.

Once people realize and see the lines getting to 1-2 hours and having to make a choice between that or spending an extra $3000 or more on their trip, things are going to get very wonky very fast.

GaBoy

We did a few parties and such in past visits. If I remember right, we did those on days we did not use a park ticket and used it instead of.

havoc315

You also don't want to do something that will potentially double the cost of a family's entire trip.

Trying to get more money from less people is a very tricky business model-especially for something that is designed for families.

Why not? They do LOTS of things that already "double the cost" of a family's trip.
If you stay at a deluxe resort instead of a value resort, it doubles the cost of your trip.
If you book a VIP tour, it can MORE than double the cost of your trip.
If you buy Boo Bash tickets for your quick 1 night trip, it can double the cost of the entire trip.
If you eat dinner at Victoria and Alberts and Takumi Tei, it can double the cost of the entire trip.

Lots of things double the cost of the family trip. Those who believe it is worthwhile, pay the difference.

I hate to put it this way, but a paid FP system, if implemented, wouldn't be for the "serfs", it would be for the "nobles." It's not for anybody booking Pop Century and eating QS every meal. It's for the people who book club level deluxe resorts, who pay $385 per person for dinner with wine pairing at Victoria and Albert. Those are the people who would buy the $200 express pass every day.
And maybe the people who book regular deluxe rooms and eat lots of signature meals, they might buy a couple days worth of an expensive paid FP.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

I for one am not paying to go to Boo Bash but I would pay for FP+.
Boo Bash isn't even offering low wait times unless so few people buy that not that many people are there which you know is not the case because people go crazy for these events. Especially the vloggers who basically make money off of the event.
If there were real parades, shows, fireworks, and meet n greets like there were for MNSSHP the wait times would be lower. I personally go to these types of events mostly for atmosphere and low wait times while everyone else does the shows etc. Now everyone will be going for the atmosphere and low wait times that there will be no low wait times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom