FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNCgolf

I’m not telling you what they will do; I’m telling you what they should do.

I don’t understand why it’s so hard for you to grasp the concept that the system I’m proposing is 100% identical to the way standby works today except for where people wait. FP and mobile order are both intended to allow you to book a reservation at an arbitrary time in the future. That’s not what SBP is or intends to be. It simply saves your spot in line. The ride’s capacity doesn’t shrink just because people aren’t standing in a queue in the same building. The same number of people can ride. This system would not prevent a single person from riding any ride.

The biggest issue is that the parks simply were not designed to have a lot of people in a virtual queue. They were designed to have a significant portion of attendance waiting in queues. There's not nearly enough space to have everyone milling about in common areas, shops, etc.

It would be an operational disaster (and miserable for guests) to have the majority of visitors just hovering around waiting for a VQ return time.

TimeTrip

The biggest issue is that the parks simply were not designed to have a lot of people in a virtual queue. They were designed to have a significant portion of attendance waiting in queues. There's not nearly enough space to have everyone milling about in common areas, shops, etc.

It would be an operational disaster (and miserable for guests) to have the majority of visitors just hovering around waiting for a VQ return time.
That's assuming that all rides and attractions leverage virtual standby. It's also further assuming that all those rides and attractions are in virtual standby only mode. It then also assumes that the time to wait for the next virtual standby (to enter the line) is much longer than the line just entered. I don't imagine that would ever be the case, except on the most crowded of days, which are a mess anyways.

We'll just have to see.

UNCgolf

That's assuming that all rides and attractions leverage virtual standby. It's also further assuming that all those rides and attractions are in virtual standby only mode. It then also assumes that the time to wait for the next virtual standby (to enter the line) is much longer than the line just entered. I don't imagine that would ever be the case, except on the most crowded of days, which are a mess anyways.

We'll just have to see.

I was responding to something a bit different. He was arguing that once you enter a virtual queue, you should not be allowed to ride any other rides, even regular standby. Even if VQ was used sparingly that could lead to a large increase in the number of guests in common areas.

I have a feeling the standby queue is going to be used pretty heavily on the headline attractions, but as you said, we'll have to see what actually happens.

DisneyDodo

I agree that the parks aren't optimally designed to handle this, which explains why Standby Pass will only be activated once the line gets very long (60+ minutes). Ideally, the parks would have a lot more to do that wouldn't easily fill up (though there are plenty non-ride experiences that don't already) and then physical lines would be essentially unnecessary. WDW has the blessing of size, so it would be possible to retrofit the parks to better accommodate this model (no, I don't think they will). For any new park or ride, they could also save space/money by not building queues to begin with.

dovetail65

What's funny to me is some people are against the FP because they said it was too difficult to plan ahead blah blah, but everything talked about here is much more convoluted and complicated. The people that hate FP wanted to be able to just go and get in line and for me the old FP system we had just that. Making FP Reservations was always optional. Now the people screaming FP was the issue for long lines, (wrong long lines happened first and whether it worked or not FP appeased the masses and it made me happy to wait in all the other lines) apparently are not getting what they wanted.

Standby, come back, can not make FP choices until after in the park, can only make one FP choice at a time, it's crap.

The original system will turn out to have the exact same lines waits we have under any system because at a certain capacity it must be. Only new rides and longer ride times can possibly overcome that.

I was at WDW over 40 times late 2016 to 2020 and once in 2021 and I was completely happy with every trip except 2021. There was nothing wrong with the old system. My point is no system is changing the line times. And the new system is not going to make the people that wanted simple, no reservations for FP and just walk in lines on the

The proposed things here and what is going on in Paris is just about the most messed up system I can think of for WDW. Heck, once Disney goes paid FP just give me a number I'll either pay it or not and let me go to the darn rides in the order I want to, when I want to, just like at Universal.

If it was the FP complainers that caused Disney to potentially change the FP system(Disney can say its Covid all they want) then this crap is on them. Under the Paris system guests still need reserve the FP, but now pay for it and still have to reserve but only after being in the park. In no world is that better than me being able to plan and reserve ahead of time, it's still reserving!. So either no reserving FP at all or give us the old system!The new system helps no one other than Disney by allowing them to put bodies where they want them, when they want them. i

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I like the Standby Pass in concept as it still provides a free option. Will it work in real life? We will see what happens.

If it does not work, folks are free to purchase FastPasses which makes Bob Chapek happy....

UNCgolf

I agree that the parks aren't optimally designed to handle this, which explains why Standby Pass will only be activated once the line gets very long (60+ minutes). Ideally, the parks would have a lot more to do that wouldn't easily fill up (though there are plenty non-ride experiences that don't already) and then physical lines would be essentially unnecessary. WDW has the blessing of size, so it would be possible to retrofit the parks to better accommodate this model (no, I don't think they will). For any new park or ride, they could also save space/money by not building queues to begin with.

Funnily enough, original EPCOT basically was designed with this model. The rides were generally huge people eaters that didn't need long lines, and the park was full of other things to see/do between the World Showcase, the Seas aquarium, and all the pavilion activities.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What's funny to me is some people are against the FP because they said it was too difficult to plan ahead blah blah, but everything talked about here is much more convulted and complicated. The people that hate FP wanted to be able to just go and get in line and for me the old FP system we had just that. Making FP Reservations was always optional. Now the people screaming FP was the issue for long lines, (wrong long lines happened first and wether it worked or not FP appeased the masses and it made me happy to wait in all the other lines) apparently are not getting what they wanted.

It's confusing to you because you aren't following the details.

People's complaints were not about FP as a concept - but FP+'s scheduling and Disney's obcene FP:SB ratios that took a good system and turned it to crap by magnifying its worst parts. The complaints about scheduling FP (FP+) have it's own impacts.

FP as designed wouldn't cripple standby - but it was turned into that by making FP that dominate portion of capacity.

Now, people are talking about what happens at the extremes of standby pass and edge cases (scenarios I don't think Disney will even allow.. but whatever.. talk it out).

It's also a conversation making assumptions on how Disney will operate...

Last edited:

bcoachable

So why is everyone freaking out over the word "Tick" for a paid FP option? We've been at "Tick" for months.
My reaction is not a freak out as much as it is a pain I feel. This is the most obvious move TWDC has made that illustrates their current motives. They used to hold classes in order to teach companies how to gain repeat customers! This move shows that they really do not care about me the consumer as much as they care about taking my cash from me…
I think it will eventually backfire.

JAB

Now it doesbt but as I understand this new system there will be call it ‘priority standby’ paid and regular standby which will be ‘free’ but unavailable if priority standby line too long
You seem to have misunderstood. The current rumors (that I think you're referring to) are that it will function similarly to DLP. The way that system works is that there's a regular standby line until the wait times get too long. At that point, the regular standby line is closed, and the Standby Pass system is activated, giving guests a return time to come back later and enter the line. Standby Pass is still free. The paid FP part of the system is separate from the standby line and Standby Pass, and lets you skip the standby line regardless of the line status.

jpinkc

My reaction is not a freak out as much as it is a pain I feel. This is the most obvious move TWDC has made that illustrates their current motives. They used to hold classes in order to teach companies how to gain repeat customers! This move shows that they really do not care about me the consumer as much as they care about taking my cash from me…
I think it will eventually backfire.

Yes they did and my brother had to go to one of those once years ago. I hope you are right about the Backfire!! But in the current climate of people needing to get out after a year in lockdown etc, I dont think so. Now with School restarting it will slow some, but I think the Holidays will be an EPIC mess! Depending on Covid too.

Parker in NYC

You know that bit about not wanting to be part of a club that would have somebody like me for a member? I don’t know if I’d want to be spending time with folks who’d be shelling out dough for this system. So long as it exists at DLP, count me out. As to WDW, it’ll only be worse.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
So why is everyone freaking out over the word "Tick" for a paid FP option? We've been at "Tick" for months.
Martin hasn't posted a 'tick' for this before. So, he knows something is happening soon.

Pretty much confirmed by Chapek's announcement of Genie coming soon at last week's Quarterly. He wouldn't have mentioned it if it wasn't going to happen before the next Quarterly.

So, it's likely that Genie with the new FP scheme will be announced....

soon.

At least before November.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom