FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

I was very struck by this also. We kept trying to figure out if it was because the fp lines are empty, there is nothing else to do but rides so more people are in lines, or what. The physical lines are way outside of many show buildings and clogging walkways but the wait times are reasonable. Can anyone explain this?
Let’s say a ride has a capacity of 2000 people per hour, and the wait is 1 hr. You enter the queue. That means at that moment, there are 2000 people physically in line, in front of you. And that takes a certain amount of space.

With Fastpass, there are now two lines. The old standby line, for every 1 person that comes from the standby line, there are 1-4 people coming from Fastpass. So instead of 2000 people in front of you, for standby to have a 1 hr wait there only needs to be 1000 people (in the case of a ride that loads 50-50), 666 people (in the case of a ride that is 2:1), 500 people (in the case of a 3:1) and only 400 people, in the case of a ride that loads 4 Fastpass people for every 1 standby. 400 people take up significantly less space than 2000.

The other 1600 people the ride needs to fill its seats, are casually filtering in the other line over the course of their hour window. They won’t all arrive at the same time. If the wait in Fastpass is ~15 minutes, that is also 400 people.

So at any given moment, for a ride that is 2000 people per hour, and 20% come from standby and 80% come from Fastpass, 400 people are in standby, 400 people are in Fastpass, and 1200 people are elsewhere (clogging up walkways, in other lines, eating, shopping, etc). Right now, they are all in the very long standby. And people aren’t used to what that looks and feels like.

And it looks like I took too long to respond, but maybe it’s still useful. :)

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
So what would a realistic solution be? Given how the parks look right now, they need some way to get people out of the standby queue
If Disney wants to pay me my going rate for solution definition, I am confident I could think of something that would create an excellent solution that manages all of their Standby issues. Until then, I will just acknowledge it’s a very hard problem with no obvious solution other than what they were doing before (which had about 100 flaws)

TTA94

Just my guess I’d think we will know when a FP system is about to come online once CMs hear about it and start training. They won’t keep that news quiet lol.

nickys

Premium Member
Just my guess I’d think we will know when a FP system is about to come online once CMs hear about it and start training. They won’t keep that news quiet lol.
I doubt they’ll need training as such. Whatever the system is, it’ll be on the magic bands / mobile etc just like FP+ and they’ll scan in at the readers the same as before.

Same system, new name.

CastAStone

I went to studios last night for 4hrs, runaway train was 25 min wait, tower was a 5, coaster took maybe 15, had a light dinner at baseline, did some shopping, got a beer at brown derby, all in 4 hours without a fastpass, it was so relaxing, please don’t bring it back.
I think that’s more related to the lack of evening entertainment. Try doing that at 10AM.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
One other thing I noticed without FP in operation. Having people in queues all the time seemed to make the walkways less crowded.

Something that was surprising was how much linear queue space (with no social distancing) a short wait requires. For EE, a 20 minute wait filled the entire former standby queue, part of the former FP queue plus a supplemental switchback in front to the old FP distribution area with the line starting past the first set of steps down towards the exit.

If the wait was 40 minutes (which is still a very reasonable wait for an E ticket), the line would have extended to Dinorama.

For some attractions, some kind of virtual queue will be needed. Not to skip the line but to get into the line just to keep all the walkways from being turned into queues.

I was very struck by this also. We kept trying to figure out if it was because the fp lines are empty, there is nothing else to do but rides so more people are in lines, or what. The physical lines are way outside of many show buildings and clogging walkways but the wait times are reasonable. Can anyone explain this?

EE (and many others) was built after FP was introduced. With TDO knowing 50-75% of ride capacity would go through the FP line, there was no incentive to spend the money to build long standby queues. An 80 minute standby wait with no FP is 2400 people but with 60% of ride capacity going to FP it’s only 960 people.

Overall park capacity is still reduced."Empty" pathways and short lines are a result of whatever attractions are open to be able to handle the number of people there.

The lack of FP+ has nothing to do with it.

When SW:SR opened without FP, it had a longer wait than the other E-Ticket rides in DHS which all had FP.

When the MK is filled past its tipping point, TTA can get an hour long line, and it has one of the highest PPH capacity and no FP line.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
I went to studios last night for 4hrs, runaway train was 25 min wait, tower was a 5, coaster took maybe 15, had a light dinner at baseline, did some shopping, got a beer at brown derby, all in 4 hours without a fastpass, it was so relaxing, please don’t bring it back.
That's a result of park capacity limitations, not the lack of FP. When SR opened without FP, it had higher waits than the other E-Tickets with FP.

Jedijax719

Do you honestly think it will stay that way? The pandemic isn't going to keep crowds away forever (although, prices might).

UNCgolf

That's a result of park capacity limitations, not the lack of FP. When SR opened without FP, it had higher waits than the other E-Tickets with FP.

It was also a brand new attraction. You can't realistically compare it to existing rides.

That doesn't mean you're wrong that it's because of park capacity limitations, but that's not a good data point. Longer lines are expected for something new.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
It was also a brand new attraction. You can't realistically compare it to existing rides.

That doesn't mean you're wrong that it's because of park capacity limitations, but that's not a good data point. Longer lines are expected for something new.
Oh, there were quite a few people who thought that SR wasn't going to have any sort of long lines because there was no FP...

UNCgolf

Oh, there were quite a few people who thought that SR wasn't going to have any sort of long lines because there was no FP...

Well that was silly of them and completely unrealistic!

Disney isn't going to go back to pre-FP 1990s wait times because there are far more people in the parks. Some of the parks (EPCOT for sure; possibly MK as well although I'm not sure about that) have less capacity now than they did then as well.

CastAStone

Overall park capacity is still reduced."Empty" pathways and short lines are a result of whatever attractions are open to be able to handle the number of people there.

The lack of FP+ has nothing to do with it.

When SW:SR opened without FP, it had a longer wait than the other E-Ticket rides in DHS which all had FP.

When the MK is filled past its tipping point, TTA can get an hour long line, and it has one of the highest PPH capacity and no FP line.
You are correct but my point is still right: the physical queues of rides built since 2000 cannot handle the full hourly capacity of the ride because they were never meant to.

TrojanUSC

Yes - capacity is reduced in the parks. There are far fewer people actually in the parks than was typical pre covid.

Wait until park capacity increases over the coming months with no FP. It won't be 45-60 min waits, it will be 75-100 min waits.

But they operated without FP for 30 years and they rarely saw 100 minute waits then. Yes the parks were busier pre-COVID than they were in 1999 but they have also pretty clearly said they don't intend to go back to 2019 capacity. The Park Pass system lets them limit capacity while ensuring the most valuable guests are prioritized, allowing them to cap attendance while seeing little downside revenue-wise.

They aren't making much less than pre-COVID at Disneyland, even though the park is at reduced capacity, because every single person there is buying a day ticket and the vast majority are staying park open to park close. It's a dream for them. They've "trimmed the fat," so to speak, from both the cast and guests.

The standby waits at these attractions will get higher of course, but with FP+ they'd start getting 120-180 minutes on the regular again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom