FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Before people start rewriting history again...

An hour or more wait was not uncommon pre-FP era. The difference was Disney actually made that wait tolerable vs it's contemporaries with the themed queues, and later parks had video in the queue, etc. Plus many periods of the year experienced far lower waits due to the actual variances in seasons.

Chomama

An hour or more wait was not uncommon pre-FP era. The difference was Disney actually made that wait tolerable vs it's contemporaries with the themed queues, and later parks had video in the queue, etc. Plus many periods of the year experienced far lower waits due to the actual variances in seasons.
But I really don’t remember those one hour waits in the walkways like they are now. That’s why I’m puzzled. It’s not just post-2000 rides. It’s all of them

hopemax

But I really don’t remember those one hour waits in the walkways like they are now. That’s why I’m puzzled. It’s not just post-2000 rides. It’s all of them
Some of the pre-2000 ride queues are now used as Fastpass queues. Think about something like the first two rooms of Star Tours. There is a barrier down the middle and on one side is a full standby, and on the other is an empty space for people still using the FP queue (the previously mentioned DAS, VIP, Child Swap) to walk through to reach the merge point. In 1997, both sides would be full of people. The Mountains, Small World, Pirates, HM...think about the empty queue space you walk through when you use Fastpass. Those spaces would have been filled with people in the old days.

UNCgolf

Posted 20 minutes today spilled just into the main pathway

That doesn't make any sense. There was a 30 minute posted wait last time I was there and the queue was almost completely empty; I walked straight through.

Obviously the posted wait times aren't always accurate, but there's no way that queue should be overflowing with a 20 minute wait. It shouldn't be overflowing with a 45+ minute wait, especially since it's an omnimover.

hopemax

Also the hour+ waits didn't start immediately after opening either. 11-5, sure, queues would be maxed out, but if you rope dropped you had a good 2 hours to pound out rides. You didn't have to do this insane speed walk to the headliners. I mean, you would... but so you could ride your favorite two or three times in a row while the wait was manageable. Legacy FP at least gave you 45 minutes, before the return times started, and the standby screeched to a halt.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Also the hour+ waits didn't start immediately after opening either. 11-5, sure, queues would be maxed out, but if you rope dropped you had a good 2 hours to pound out rides. You didn't have to do this insane speed walk to the headliners. I mean, you would... but so you could ride your favorite two or three times in a row while the wait was manageable. Legacy FP at least gave you 45 minutes, before the return times started, and the standby screeched to a halt.
You also had on average a third less people. Original FP (not +) came about because of guest dissatisfaction surveys due to long lines (90+ minutes) at headliners.

TrojanUSC

You also had on average a third less people. Original FP (not +) came about because of guest dissatisfaction surveys due to long lines (90+ minutes) at headliners.

Right, but Disney is going to throttle attendance now with the Park Pass system by reducing overall attendance while ensuring their most valuable guests get the run of the place. They are extremely happy with Disneyland because everyone there is paying a full ticket price and staying for the full day, which means lots of eating and shopping.

The original FP was yes partially because of guest dissatisfaction. That was the driver, but what sold it internally was that by taking people out of queues you would theoretically allow them to go shop or dine more. That didn't happen really. It just made walkways more crowded and created standby waits elsewhere.

acup313

Right, but Disney is going to throttle attendance now with the Park Pass system by reducing overall attendance while ensuring their most valuable guests get the run of the place. They are extremely happy with Disneyland because everyone there is paying a full ticket price and staying for the full day, which means lots of eating and shopping.

The original FP was yes partially because of guest dissatisfaction. That was the driver, but what sold it internally was that by taking people out of queues you would theoretically allow them to go shop or dine more. That didn't happen really. It just made walkways more crowded and created standby waits elsewhere.
I assume you are probably right from Disney’s perspective but for me personally we never used standby lines. And we actually did spend the time between FPs eating or shopping.

pdude81

Without more upcharges the throttling just makes less money. They still need more in the parks plus additional dining and do packages

drizgirl

They never said they are actually throttling attendance. Maybe throttling low cost AP days, but not full price attendance.

TrojanUSC

They never said they are actually throttling attendance. Maybe throttling low cost AP days, but not full price attendance.

They've been pretty transparent that the Park Pass system is staying and a key reason for that is to manage crowds. If you let all the day guests in you want but put a tight cap on APs that is a pretty compelling way to limit attendance for them.

dovetail65

They've been pretty transparent that the Park Pass system is staying and a key reason for that is to manage crowds. If you let all the day guests in you want but put a tight cap on APs that is a pretty compelling way to limit attendance for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom