Fastpass+, a solution to "overwhelmingly negative" responses from families

G00fyDad

I'm sorry, Let me clarify my thought: I cannot get walk-up seating for dinner at an in-park restaurant anymore. The last time I did, it was The Plaza Restaurant and it was on a very low attendance day.

Good choice of restaurants for lunch. Now I'm hungry.....

What time of the year are you going? I make ADR's but sometimes we cancel a couple days ahead and just wing it for a place to eat. We have never waited more than 5 minutes for a table after just walking up. I hear this "I can't get a table on a walk-up any more." stuff all the time here and listening to the people I personally know (and my own experiences) this just isn't the case. We are a family of 4 and I know two other families of 5 and 6 and none of us (including the smaller families I know) have ever had issues with getting a table on a walk-up.

ParentsOf4

I love the idea that I dont have to run from the main gate at H.s. to Tsmm to get fast passes while my family heads to Star wars...
Nope, you got it wrong.

The right thing was for me to head to TSM at rope drop and then meet up with my family in front of RnRC, do that, then do TOT, then for me to sprint across the park to ST, then again meet up with my family in front of TSM.;)

Just joking.:D

I wouldn't call it terrifying but at least I could skip my exercise for that day. Maybe the average WDW guest was terrified at the thought of exercise?

Dads 2 Boys

The "best" solution would be to eliminate FP/FP+ completely. Let everyone stand in line the old fashioned way. Ultimately, FP+ does not increase ride capacity; it only changes how the wait time is distributed. For every attraction I get on quicker using FP+ there will be 4 or 5 attractions that I stand in line longer because of FP+.

FP+ is not about improving guest satisfaction; it's about improving perceived guest satisfaction during the sales transaction which, for WDW, does not end until check-in. I might feel good if I am able to book the FP+ experiences I want 60 days out. However, once I arrive I still will spend the same amount of total time standing in line.

Eliminating FP/FP+ means that my perception at the parks (i.e. after the sales transaction) will improve. I'm standing in a line that actually is moving along with everyone else. It feels fair. Anyone who has been in the Standby line at Peter Pan watching hundreds of FP guests walk by knows exactly how frustrating the feeling is. FP+ does not eliminate this feeling; it only makes it worse since FP+ has been added to even more attractions. However, completely eliminating FP/FP+ would not allow Disney to advertise the service. Like so many aspects of advertising, it's more about perception than results.

While I understand you have a lot of likes to this....I disagree completely.

Let's not forget two things.......1) Fastpass (and the like at other them parks) is not going away. 2) Perception is reality. While I don't necessarily agree with #2, "it is what it is".

If you choose to stand in the stand-by line instead of getting a FP......that's your choice. Life isn't fair and FP is an option for everyone. That's the key point....it's for everyone. Every guest has the option to choose to FP a ride and do it later....but some choose not to. It's his/her choice and that's fine but if I want to get a FP and walk by you to get on it faster is my choice. My confusion in your arguement is in one breath you say u use FP but then it doesn't feel fair to watch people walk past you on Peter Pan?? You can't have it both ways. If it was only for people who could afford it then I could prehaps agree with some of your arguement but since it's available on a level playing field to all guests....I don't.

FP and FP+ is here to stay and thouroughly enhances the guest experience for those guests who are not there for long periods of time. I personally love FP....it makes my life less stressful b/c I hate waiting in line. Wasting an hour plus of my life in line for something drives me nuts....time is the most precious commodity there is. That is no more true while in WDW where we spend thousands on our trip and want to maximize out time with our families in the parks....experiencing all the attractions possible.

Dads 2 Boys

What time of the year are you going? I make ADR's but sometimes we cancel a couple days ahead and just wing it for a place to eat. We have never waited more than 5 minutes for a table after just walking up. I hear this "I can't get a table on a walk-up any more." stuff all the time here and listening to the people I personally know (and my own experiences) this just isn't the case. We are a family of 4 and I know two other families of 5 and 6 and none of us (including the smaller families I know) have ever had issues with getting a table on a walk-up.

This may be true but not at all restaurants.....it all depends on the palate of your party.

Dads 2 Boys

Hopefully you realize that's exactly how WDW operated for nearly 30 years. WDW was a lot more fun in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s than it is today.;)

P.S. It also was more fun when everyone's head wasn't stuck in their smart phones but that ship has sailed.:eek:

Your opinion...period! Just b/c it was operated that way doesn't mean "jack"......

We also didn't have air conditioning til the 50s..........

luv

While I understand you have a lot of likes to this....I disagree completely.

Let's not forget two things.......1) Fastpass (and the like at other them parks) is not going away. 2) Perception is reality. While I don't necessarily agree with #2, "it is what it is".

If you choose to stand in the stand-by line instead of getting a FP......that's your choice. Life isn't fair and FP is an option for everyone. That's the key point....it's for everyone. Every guest has the option to choose to FP a ride and do it later....but some choose not to. It's his/her choice and that's fine but if I want to get a FP and walk by you to get on it faster is my choice. My confusion in your arguement is in one breath you say u use FP but then it doesn't feel fair to watch people walk past you on Peter Pan?? You can't have it both ways. If it was only for people who could afford it then I could prehaps agree with some of your arguement but since it's available on a level playing field to all guests....I don't.

FP and FP+ is here to stay and thouroughly enhances the guest experience for those guests who are not there for long periods of time. I personally love FP....it makes my life less stressful b/c I hate waiting in line. Wasting an hour plus of my life in line for something drives me nuts....time is the most precious commodity there is. That is no more true while in WDW where we spend thousands on our trip and want to maximize out time with our families in the parks....experiencing all the attractions possible.
I think it might change.

When Uni first had EPs, they worked like the Disney FPs do now. It's the same thing. When Disney came out with theirs, they gave it a different name, but it was the same thing.

Uni has since replaced the EP thing with a version that requires you to stay in their hotels or pay for a lesser version. I would not be surprised if Disney followed in their footsteps there, too.

It doesn't look like Disney's system will be as wonderful for the hotel guest as Uni's, but I wouldn't be surprised if the FPs ended up being reserved for hotel guests or sold.

We'll see. I have no inside info! Just speculating.

Dads 2 Boys

I think it might change.

When Uni first had EPs, they worked like the Disney FPs do now. It's the same thing. When Disney came out with theirs, they gave it a different name, but it was the same thing.

Uni has since replaced the EP thing with a version that requires you to stay in their hotels or pay for a lesser version. I would not be surprised if Disney followed in their footsteps there, too.

It doesn't look like Disney's system will be as wonderful for the hotel guest as Uni's, but I wouldn't be surprised if the FPs ended up being reserved for hotel guests or sold.

It might but if it's a perk to stayng on property then so be it. Then my arguement just reduces the sample size to resort guests.

luv

It might but if it's a perk to stayng on property then so be it. Then my arguement just reduces the sample size to resort guests.
Absolutely. I just meant that it may no longer be for everyone, but will be reserved for people who pony up the dough.

Belowthesurface

When I go to Universal, I never stand still in line for more than 30 seconds. Why? Because Express Pass isn't available to everyone!

When I wait in line for Disney attractions.... STAND STILL. Why? Because it's "fair" and "everyone can get one!"

Just wait until the Fastpass for lunch rolls out...

ParentsOf4

I think it might change.

You raise good points.

What we see for FP+ in 2013 will not be what it is in 2014 or 2015. Ultimately, FP+ is about generating profits for The Walt Disney Company (TWDC). TWDC first needs to get the public to accept NextGen before it evolves FP+ further. The best way to do this is to initially make FP+ as user-friendly, as "fair" as possible.

From a corporate perspective, the beauty of FP+ is that it allows corporate leadership to exercise greater control over its most valuable WDW asset, the attractions themselves. Eventually they will do whatever they believe will generate the most revenue. They should have access to insider marketing research that tells them which direction to evolve FP+. This is not necessarily a bad thing for their guests. After all, doesn't higher guest spending mean happier customers? Do you buy a product if you are unhappy with it?

What some seem to be in denial about is TWDC is a gigantic corporation whose primary purpose is to generate earnings for its shareholders. To encourage that, executives' compensation packages are organized around revenue and profits. In 2012, only about 6% of Iger's total $40M compensation was in the form of traditional salary. Disney's executives are highly incentivized to focus on profits above all else.

As mentioned by the OP, data collected by TWDC indicates the perception of parents is that the Disney Parks are "overwhelmingly" and was "the most terrifying experience of their life." Putting aside the hyperbole these folks tend to use when taking surveys, TWDC is trying to accommodate these guests but in a way that, long-term, allows TWDC to maximize its profits. As I posted earlier on this thread, this perception is largely driven by the convergence of FP and the Internet. Solving the problem by completely eliminating FP/FP+ does not allow TWDC to market the service and does not allow TWDC to take greater control of its attractions in order to drive revenue growth. FP+ does which is why FP+ is here to stay.

DisneyJoe

As mentioned by the OP, data collected by TWDC indicates the perception of parents is that the Disney Parks are "overwhelmingly" and was "the most terrifying experience of their life." Putting aside the hyperbole these folks tend to use when taking surveys, TWDC is trying to accommodate these guests but in a way that, long-term, allows TWDC to maximize its profits. As I posted earlier on this thread, this perception is largely driven by the convergence of FP and the Internet.

I disagree with this point. My clients who just start thinking about taking their first Disney trip know nothing about FP, ADR's, or even the fact that WDW consists of 4 parks and spans many square miles, has over 20 onsite resorts (and then factor in off-site accommodations), then factor in ticket options, transportation etc and the entire thing is overwhelming.

Most see a Disney TV commercial and think that they are visiting a single park like a Six Flags.

It's the vastness of the entire experience that is overwhelming to them.

They would be overwhelmed if handed any Disney guidebook, they don't even need to see the Internet.

ParentsOf4

I disagree with this point. My clients who just start thinking about taking their first Disney trip know nothing about FP, ADR's, or even the fact that WDW consists of 4 parks and spans many square miles, has over 20 onsite resorts (and then factor in off-site accommodations), then factor in ticket options, transportation etc and the entire thing is overwhelming.

Most see a Disney TV commercial and think that they are visiting a single park like a Six Flags.

It's the vastness of the entire experience that is overwhelming to them.

They would be overwhelmed if handed any Disney guidebook, they don't even need to see the Internet.
I agree but your clients are not the ones generating the marketing research that Disney is using to create FP+. Quoting the OP:
One of the most interesting points he touched upon was just why Disney has decided to implement this program and allow Fastpasses to be reserved so far in advanced. The reason? Parents who were surveyed about their experience and perception of the Disney Parks "overwhelmingly" said that it was "the most terrifying experience of their life." These are the words he used, unaltered. Parents said this because they know they will have to split up their family in a park of thousands, having people do other things while Mom gets Fastpasses and Dad goes to wait in line to get something to eat with the kids. This creates a vacation of nothing but stress, and Disney (World, more than anywhere else) has been in a sort of crisis-mode trying to figure out just how to handle this. Thus, the implementation of My Disney Experience, Fastpass+, and Dining programs which allows you to have things planned far in advanced, thus allowing the family to stay together.
These WDW guests are familiar with FP, familiar enough that they know they have to split up in order to optimize FP usage.

Your clients have legitimate concerns but it's not directly related to what the OP posted. Again, I agree with what you wrote it's just that TWDC is looking at this a bit differently than your clients' perspective.

WDW guide books have been available for decades but, for example, The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World (last time I checked) has exploded to over 800 pages. The Internet is in nearly every family's home. Just search for "Walt Disney World" and find millions of hits. Potential WDW guests are facing information overload. This information overload is largely driven by technology. Never have so many had access to so much information.

DisneyJoe

I agree but your clients are not the ones generating the marketing research that Disney is using to create FP+.

These WDW guests are familiar with FP, familiar enough that they know they have to split up in order to optimize FP usage.

They don't know this when they initially come to us, but we teach them about it before they go on their trip, and give them the strategies to optimize their use of FP - so they would know enough to answer these questions. Some still find it stressful after we help them plan, others don't.

MaryJaneP

Rather than alleviating stress, the whole FP/FP+/NGE/MDE phemomena has added immeasurably to the creation of stress. Gone are the days of a family waiting together for anything. In fact, gone are the days of anyone waiting for anything. Impatience rules. WDW is just going with the flow, unfortunately. Guests can currently buy their way out of some of this aggravation by paying for a tour-guide. Now they can app their way out of more. Beware that WDW may monetize the FP+ soon as well. Life itself is stressful enough that WDW doesn't need to add to it.

pumpkin7

Could they not have done away with the mad dash and changed it to limiting how many fast passes were given out in a certain hour? So like, at 9am, 200 FP would be distributed, and then that's it until 10am, when another 100 are let go of etc etc. That way there may be queuing but no mad rope drop dash to the machines. And I'm sure it's not like this for every attraction, only certain ones like TSM. We went in August last time and never had a mad dash for any FP. The only attraction that had run out when we got to it at 3pm was Soarin'.
I just think being forced to use your mobile phone while away is just unfair. I want to get away from my technology.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom