Fast & Furious- Supercharged details officially released

raven

I am not trying to be a troll or start an argument, but why is it Disney can tell us Toy Story Land will open on June 30, 2018,
while we keep getting an opening date of "Spring" for Fast & Furious?
Lots of testing still going on. Working out the kinks with the vehicles and computers I imagine. Still too early to give a definite date.

OG Runner

Lots of testing still going on. Working out the kinks with the vehicles and computers I imagine. Still too early to give a definite date.

I understand there is planning, and testing, and tweeking, but why not include that in the overall plan.
Why be so vague? Movies announce when they will be released, considering how much editing, etc.
needs to go into the project, within a set timeframe. You would think the plans and the ride system would
already be selected before construction even began. Not that I really expect anyone here to really have
a specific answer, but an opening date of "Spring" is a bit frustrating, especially if you are planning a trip.

lebeau

I understand there is planning, and testing, and tweeking, but why not include that in the overall plan.
Why be so vague? Movies announce when they will be released, considering how much editing, etc.
needs to go into the project, within a set timeframe. You would think the plans and the ride system would
already be selected before construction even began. Not that I really expect anyone here to really have
a specific answer, but an opening date of "Spring" is a bit frustrating, especially if you are planning a trip.

This is common practice in the industry. Disney does it all the freaking time. Anyone remember the multiple delays for Rivers of Light? Going back further, Test Track? I remember trying to plan a trip around a "holidays 2012" opening for New Fantasyland. That was fun.

raven

Test Track signage said “Opening Spring of 1997.” That didn’t happen. It actually took almost another year. And when Inwent back in September that year the sign still said “Opening Spring of 1997.” (BTW, this sign still hangs in the maintenance area of TT).

OG Runner

Thank you, lebeau and raven, for pointing out Disney has also done this in the past. How does that
explain why or how it is happening to this ride now. I really appreciate you took the time to provide
input, but saying somebody else did it also, doesn't answer anything.

lebeau

Thank you, lebeau and raven, for pointing out Disney has also done this in the past. How does that
explain why or how it is happening to this ride now. I really appreciate you took the time to provide

The point is that this is how the industry works. These are complicated projects. There are variables. They can estimate how long they think it will take, but in theme parks as in life there are going to be unexpected delays, expenses etc. The strategy theme parks tend to take is to provide a season as opposed to a specific date. This allows for testing, etc. If it opens earlier than expected, people are happy. If it runs behind, they aren't so disappointed.

The only reason to tie yourself down to a specific date is marketing and that's rarely worth the risk. Look at what Universal did with Volcano Bay. They ended up opening a park that clearly wasn't ready.

I realize it can be frustrating when you're trying to firm up your plans, but it just comes with the territory.

raven

Highly technical attractions take a lorn of testing. Best not to give a false opening date to the public then not be able to reach it or open with many issues (as they learned with Volcano Bay).

JoeCamel

The point is that this is how the industry works. These are complicated projects. There are variables. They can estimate how long they think it will take, but in theme parks as in life there are going to be unexpected delays, expenses etc. The strategy theme parks tend to take is to provide a season as opposed to a specific date. This allows for testing, etc. If it opens earlier than expected, people are happy. If it runs behind, they aren't so disappointed.

The only reason to tie yourself down to a specific date is marketing and that's rarely worth the risk. Look at what Universal did with Volcano Bay. They ended up opening a park that clearly wasn't ready.

I realize it can be frustrating when you're trying to firm up your plans, but it just comes with the territory.
You might add that often these are one of a kind never been done before types of projects that just might take longer than expected. As you say there is absoutly no reason to tie yourself to a specifc date. There is no upside to doing that.
Anyone that plans a theme park trip around the opening of a new attraction is on a fool's errand, give it some time to open and get the bugs worked out then a little longer to let the bloggers clear out. You will get better bang for your time and bucks.

Disneyhead'71

Apparently, Universal Creative brass rode it tonight and we're happy. TM previews should start any day now.

We may be under estimating this attraction.

JT3000

Apparently, Universal Creative brass rode it tonight and we're happy. TM previews should start any day now.

We may be under estimating this attraction.

If Creative is happy with it, that just means their design works as intended. "How good is it intended to be?" is still the million dollar question.

Mouse Trap

Can I ask why you would say that? Do you have some additional or specific information that
would contradict the information provided or is that your own personal guess?

Plenty of issues to iron out. TM previews are no where on the radar right now and any sort of public opening is more than a month away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom