Fantasyland rehab/updated approved!

EPCOT Explorer

So it's finally this close?:lol::sohappy: Fantastic.

Hopefully they do the quick, the right way, and have it sparkling by OCT 1 2011.;)

Knock hard, because it looks like the plans just might get announced...

And before anybody gets on here saying that this proves TDO isn't as bad as some have claimed, let me tell you: this plan was pushed through by CORPORATE, not by Rasulo, Holmes, and Co.

We're going to be quite grateful, too. :)

Heh!:lol::rolleyes: Of course. Perhaps this little lesson in refurbing things will teach them a thing or two.:p;)

jt04

By the way, since this is coming from corporate, this does not allow those wastes of a management team in TDO off the hook... Phil Holmes is already probably planning his attack on this refurb... Meg Crofton is probably gagging on cigarette after cigarette, with the sweats after seeing how much money this is going to cost... Let's just pray this is the end of the reign of foul-ups in WDW.... Now, jt, who is that sheriff?? I wanna give him a pat on the back and a WAY TO GO!!! :)

OK, I have a question. As Lee says, Wall Street wants Disney to invest in the parks now because they want them to be able to take advantage of an economy that should eventually rebound. Does TDO not recognize that to make money they have to invest in the parks. I mean it just doesn't make since they wouldn't want new attractions and that they actually want to keep investments away as you suggest. Can you explain why they would be so motivated? And please keep your personal animosity towards TDO out of your response.....if possible.

TP2000

Not being critical but since WDW has 4 gates it's hard to compare. But it would be nice if Florida's FL was on par with DL.

Don't mean to alarm you, but if WDW doesn't start adding several new attractions ASAP, by the time Cars Land opens in 2012 Anaheim will have as many attractions as WDW does. The list of attractions is already surprisingly close, and with five new attractions now under construction in Anaehim, the two properties will be even by 2012.

Disneyland alone has as many attractions (49) as Magic Kingdom (37) and Animal Kingdom (12) combined. (I counted each Animal Kingdom "trail" or "trek" as a separate attraction)

DCA has 24 attractions now, with 5 currently under construction. DHS has 12 attractions, and Epcot has 17 attractions.

I did not count theater shows that exist in both places in the attraction tally, like Playhouse Disney or Fantasmic. I also didn't count the little storytelling things in both properties. I also had to throw out some bogus "attractions" listed on Guidemaps, like Magic Kingdom's insistence that City Hall is an "attraction" or Disneyland's attempt at labeling all four Railroad depots as "attractions".

Counting E Tickets is another fun game; 15 currently in Anaheim, with 2 under construction opening in '11 and '12. There are 22 E Tickets currently in Orlando, with 1 rumored to be under construction shortly. (I included Gran Fiesta Tour and Backlot Tour in the E Ticket tally, and gave 2 E Ticket credits to The Land, as a point of reference)

Still, it's an alarmingly close race, especially considering the different sized properties and operations.

Mars Needs Women and WDW Needs Rides! :eek:

tirian

As I hear it, that is the case.
The decision to move ahead with plans for MK came from higher up than Rasulo. He was told to get this project moving by his superiors. (Iger, Directors, etc.)
Rasulo was content to do nothing that wasn't absolutely necessary. (See: Space Mountain)
See above.
Well, that's a way to put it. :rolleyes: It reminds me of the SSE wand: TDO was content to let it continue fading and falling apart until Siemens stepped in and insisted it be removed as part of the sponsorship deal.

I CALL BS. The Fantasyland refurb is not a WWoHP response. Two reasons...

Correct. It's a necessary update to the world's "officially" most visited theme park (though many suspect the title belongs to Tokyo), an update that is overdue.

#2 - Fantasyland is in desperate need of some TLC. Irregardless of HP, we can all agree that Fantasyland is probably one of the most neglected areas of WDW. (Tomorrowland is a close second and DHS is an incoherent mess)

Yep, I think it's THE most neglected area, except for the nice new Friar Tuck Counter Service location. (And "irregardless" isn't a word.)

I will believe it when I see it. I bet the “Source” said something like “They are going repaint the concrete” and the insiders are playing telephone and we get “A massive refurb and update beyond the level of the resurrection of Walt Disney.” Of course that will include the expanded monorail, wedway from London to Orlando, beastly kingdom, SW purchase, and a finished version of SSE.

Don’t forget the obligatory… “I told you so” when in ten years they actually change a light bulb and everyone claims they were right about the refurb posted back in 2009.

That does happen often, but it's a side effect of having a News and Rumors forum. If you want real news, read CNN, but you'd better cross-check it with Fox News because neither one reports the whole story.

REVEAL YOUR SOURCE, INCLUDE DETAILS, AND GIVE A CONCRETE TIMELIME.
If you can’t pull that off, shut your Dole Hole.

That's a legitimate response to a pimple-faced fanboy sitting in his parents' basement, making up stories to pass the time and over Walt's dead body instead of looking for a girlfriend...

:lookaroun

...but it's a ridiculous demand to put on people who really do work in the industry, like WhyLightBulb, and really do have deep connections, like Lee or WDW1974 (whether people want to believe it or not). Steve would lose all his contacts if he revealed them. Even the most legitimate rumors don't always get built: Disney announced Israel, Africa, and Switzerland pavilions for EPCOT Center back in the 1980s. Just enjoy your rumors with a whole salt shaker and wait to see whether or not the plans really do come true.

In the meantime, I hope everyone has a real life separate from picking apart Internet boards looking for theme park rumors. ;)

tirian

OK, I have a question. As Lee says, Wall Street wants Disney to invest in the parks now because they want them to be able to take advantage of an economy that should eventually rebound. Does TDO not recognize that to make money they have to invest in the parks. I mean it just doesn't make since they wouldn't want new attractions and that they actually want to keep investments away as you suggest. Can you explain why they would be so motivated?

Because it's easier to rest one's laurels on past reputations—even if someone else created the reputation—and because they get bonuses for delivering results under budget. You're right; it doesn't make sense to reject upgrades, refurbs, and solid plans. But common sense doesn't always get approved in corporations.

And please keep your personal animosity towards TDO out of your response.....if possible.

I don't have any. :wave: I just call a spade a spade, whether it's good or bad. TDO has done some great stuff lately, and I personally lay the blame on Rasulo, who doesn't understand the entertainment industry but is a legitimately good business person for any financial corporation.

Its about time for some new stuff in the MK thats all I have to say.

Yes, it is.

janoimagine

A little courtesy please.

#1 - There is virtually nothing TDO can do to combat the massive addition of HP to IoA (short of beastly kingdom or a 5th gate). Disney does not currently have a franchise equal to or better than the caliber of HP.

#2 - Fantasyland is in desperate need of some TLC. Irregardless of HP, we can all agree that Fantasyland is probably one of the most neglected areas of WDW. (Tomorrowland is a close second and DHS is an incoherent mess)

I will believe it when I see it. I bet the “Source” said something like “They are going repaint the concrete” and the insiders are playing telephone and we get “A massive refurb and update beyond the level of the resurrection of Walt Disney.” Of course that will include the expanded monorail, wedway from London to Orlando, beastly kingdom, SW purchase, and a finished version of SSE.

Don’t forget the obligatory… “I told you so” when in ten years they actually change a light bulb and everyone claims they were right about the refurb posted back in 2009.

REVEAL YOUR SOURCE, INCLUDE DETAILS, AND GIVE A CONCRETE TIMELIME.
If you can’t pull that off, shut your Dole Hole.

WOW. No offense bud, but demanding something is a little juvenile don't you think? The top contributors to this site are all saying they have pretty much heard the same thing. That is good enough for 99% of the people who participate in these forums.

As with everything in the corporate world, thing's can and do frequently change. Nothing is official until it is official, (and anyone who has ever worked in Advertising knows that even then things can change) and until then I trust Lee, Tirian and the admins that this is legit.

The_CEO

I remember when Everest was about to be announced and people were calling BS, they sure did bite their bottom lip didn't they. I, for one, love members on these forums who our legitimate members of the industry nourishing us with little tidbits. I don't really see why people get all bent out of shape, cough* K&KDizFreaks cough *, if it did end up being speculation. * shrug * ok move on! :)

EPCOT Explorer

Well, that's a way to put it. :rolleyes: It reminds me of the SSE wand: TDO was content to let it continue fading and falling apart until Siemens stepped in and insisted it be removed as part of the sponsorship deal.

So we thank and Seimens and Glendale.:lol::rolleyes: TDO really needs to wake up.

aladdin2007

So we thank and Seimens and Glendale.:lol::rolleyes: TDO really needs to wake up.

Sorta although Siemens hasnt finished what they started what 2 or 3 years ago now? :brick:

But wow I def feel like a kid the night before Christmas with this Fantasyland update. Im guessing The Little Mermaid will be the first thing to probably happen in the plans though?

Scar Junior

Varying opinions are what many of us like about these boards. You can have a different opinion without being rude, ungrateful or making personal attacks.

There is only ONE opinion allowed on these boards. Your posts will be removed if you do not conform. Even if you are polite, grateful do not make personal attacks.

Addendum: If you attack the person who does not conform your post stays.

tirian

Sorta although Siemens hasnt finished what they started what 2 or 3 years ago now? :brick:

But wow I def feel like a kid the night before Christmas with this Fantasyland update. Im guessing The Little Mermaid will be the first thing to probably happen in the plans though?

Be cautiously optimistic. No ground has been broken yet.

ryanduggers

I know it is not quite fantasyland, but wouldn't an updated & reliable Swan Boats ride really help the feel of MK, especially in the hub area. I do not know if this would still be possible, but it would be cool.

tomman710

Originally Posted by K&KDizFreaks

#1 - There is virtually nothing TDO can do to combat the massive addition of HP to IoA (short of beastly kingdom or a 5th gate). Disney does not currently have a franchise equal to or better than the caliber of HP.

Virtually nothing TDO can do to combat HP to IoA? Thats the funniest thing I have heard in a while ... HP has no shot at even making a small impact on WDW, even if it is amazing ... WDW is a different level.

tirian

I know it is not quite fantasyland, but wouldn't an updated & reliable Swan Boats ride really help the feel of MK, especially in the hub area. I do not know if this would still be possible, but it would be cool.

It would be, but I don't know how many Guests would enjoy making a circle under bridges at the MK. I always suspected that's why the Keel Boats were closed in Liberty Square. At least the Liberty Belle riverboat has a soundtrack, and plenty to see from above (instead of water-level).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom