Rumor Fantasyland Expansion

britain

Original Poster
Discussion of recent FL rumors in the Tomorrowland thread prompted the creation of this thread. Recent rumors include Fab's article on Rat Chat which vaguely states that Beauty and the Beast is going into the Motorboat/Autopia area, and that Frozen is not happening anytime soon.

Ismael Flores

this is a quick cut and paste but this shows exactly how much room they have to play with when it comes to Fantasyland theater and how i believe they can move forward to use land a bit more efficiently.

Like i mentioned a couple post ago they should probably consider chopping up the western side of toontown and build a large showbuilding. The size of the western area fits a showbuilding the size of IASW perfectly.

here i went ahead and copy and pasted the IASW showbuilding to exact size. The only thing i edited was the curved entrance and exit path section of the building. I also included the queue and load area just for comparison. Obviously a Beauty and the Beats ride would not be a flume ride

If they were to run a tunnel thru the train berm just like they did for IASW they can easily add the attraction facade in the northern area of the Fantasyland theater plot. This would leave plenty of room for an expanded village themed to Beauty and the beast.

just to show how much room they have i actually cut and pasted Roger rabbit cartoon to show that they have plenty of room for an eatery and still have more room east of it for more of the village.

Since the show building would take up space of the Mickey and Minnie meet and greet they can relocate to the plot of land i marked in RED. Goofy and Donald can get a smaller play area in area marked in YELLOW.

All this can be done without destroying any part of the existing Fantasyland

Ismael Flores

Here is another cut and paste that shows the plot of land that is used by the Autopia and Sub lagoon.

The Tron show building is to size and with the rest of the land they have plenty of room for another IASW showbuilding just north of it.

Obviously these are just cut and paste so any new showbuilding would be designed to fit the property better. This shows how much room they have for a good size ride and also eateries and stores in a themed icy Arrendale if that is what they want to add there.

The monorail would loose its inner cirecle "8" track and the load platform would be adjusted so that it is integrated in a second level.

load area next to the Tron showbuilding.

It is amazing how much room they have there to really play around with

Nland316

this is a quick cut and paste but this shows exactly how much room they have to play with when it comes to Fantasyland theater and how i believe they can move forward to use land a bit more efficiently.

Like i mentioned a couple post ago they should probably consider chopping up the western side of toontown and build a large showbuilding. The size of the western area fits a showbuilding the size of IASW perfectly.

here i went ahead and copy and pasted the IASW showbuilding to exact size. The only thing i edited was the curved entrance and exit path section of the building. I also included the queue and load area just for comparison. Obviously a Beauty and the Beats ride would not be a flume ride

If they were to run a tunnel thru the train berm just like they did for IASW they can easily add the attraction facade in the northern area of the Fantasyland theater plot. This would leave plenty of room for an expanded village themed to Beauty and the beast.

just to show how much room they have i actually cut and pasted Roger rabbit cartoon to show that they have plenty of room for an eatery and still have more room east of it for more of the village.

Since the show building would take up space of the Mickey and Minnie meet and greet they can relocate to the plot of land i marked in RED. Goofy and Donald can get a smaller play area in area marked in YELLOW.

View attachment 372372
I think it would make more sense to utilize the area between Toontown and SWL, without affecting Toontown too much at least. So basically tilting any sort of show building a bit past the berm.

truecoat

View attachment 372372

Not counting the outdoor portion of IASW, that building needs to be almost 30,000 square feet bigger to accomodate the BATB ride.

captveg

About a third. BATB is about 76,000 sf. IASW as shown on the map is about 51,000.

Since they will be getting rid of that access road right behind Toontown for M&MRR they could in theory make that proposed BatB show building push out further into the backstage area to match. That would add about 1/3rd more size, though the layout would be more rectangular. However, I think the biggest hindrance to this idea would be removing Mickey & Minnie's houses, especially right after M&MRR opens. Why not just use the area marked in red for the proposed BatB ride (along with the go-coaster area)?

Even if they did bring the Tokyo BatB ride over it would likely be altered to fit the space they have here. Hopefully not to a huge inferior degree.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Pulling out a couple of quotes that I think are relevant. The general sentiment has always been that DL will NOT receive an identical copy of Tokyo's ride. And that Storybook Land Canal boats were safe.

However the Tomorrowland plans sound like they've potentially been set to simmer, @marni1971 being an actual real source that thinks something is actually solidifying there.

So we can summon @GiveMeTheMusic to see if anything has changed in the last few months.

For a period of time an Arendelle expansion was planned for the Toontown space and expansion pad next to it. That project seems to have fallen off the radar with Toontown getting a revamp centered around Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway from WDW instead.

But as usual, plans can keep changing until the thing's doors open.

Not dead, just been very busy with real life and Disney has been pretty quiet recently. Leaks are being clamped down on, and no one wants to be out of a job.

Screamscape is not a reliable source for just about anything.

Right now we're dealing with a Parks & Resorts leadership team that is anathema to master planning. Nothing for DLR has been settled on past Marvel and Mickey, but as TP pointed out, Tokyo's BATB ride is gigantic and would not fit into the space they're describing. There have been many proposals for DLR's Fantasyland, mostly involving Arendelle. I suspect if Frozen 2 is good and makes a bunch of money, those projects will fall back into favor. It's hard to imagine any scenario where TDL's BATB ride makes it to Disneyland, IMO.

Bizarrely enough, the area of DL that desperately needs attention - Tomorrowland - is on the far back burner. Unbelievable.

Any Fantasyland expansion would likely target one or both of these two areas: the Fantasyland Theater, and the motorboat lagoon/Autopia/sub lagoon. I'm not aware of any serious discussion to remove any of the classic Fantasyland attractions.

Not that I’m aware of. Nobody wants to be the one to propose ditching Storybookland; it’s beloved. And it’s not necessary. The FLT is giant and easily accessible from small world mall.

captveg

It should be noted there have also been rumors about upgrades to the classic FL dark rides on a rotational basis over the next few years (those being Pinocchio, Snow White, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad and Alice). I can see them adding some needed touches, but I'm not sure how far they'd really go. I can't see animatronics, for example. Things along the lines of Alice's new ending, probably.

Ismael Flores

Not counting the outdoor portion of IASW, that building needs to be almost 30,000 square feet bigger to accomodate the BATB ride.

looks like maybe we need to switch things around and put Beauty and the Beast in the motor boat cruise area which has plenty more room. Then put Arrendale in western toontown and fantasyland theater. If they design it right then the facade can be a mountain background for sleepiing Beuaty castle instead of the wonder bra

Last edited:

britain

Original Poster
look slike maybe we need to switch things around and put Beuaty and the Beast in the motor boat cruise area which has plenty more room and then Arrendale in western toontown and fantasyland theater. If they design it right then the facade can be a mountain background for sleepiing Beuaty castle instead of the wonder bra

Maybe... I’d hate to see Arendelle loom over and upstage Sleeping Beauty Castle

shambolicdefending

It's totally a pipe dream, but I've always wished that a Fantasyland overhaul would include some kind of underpass for the parade route.

Cutting the park in half for every parade is one of the most obnoxious and crushing crowd issues in the park, IMO. But I suppose the cost of getting an underground walkway to seismic code, alone, makes it a non starter

truecoat

It's totally a pipe dream, but I've always wished that a Fantasyland overhaul would include some kind of underpass for the parade route.

Cutting the park in half for every parade is one of the most obnoxious and crushing crowd issues in the park, IMO. But I suppose the cost of getting an underground walkway to seismic code, alone, makes it a non starter

That happened to us last time we rode IASW. I heard the train coming and we were able to get on board just before it left and made it over to the Tomorrowland station instead of being stuck there.

BasiltheBatLord

It should be noted there have also been rumors about upgrades to the classic FL dark rides on a rotational basis over the next few years (those being Pinocchio, Snow White, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad and Alice).
IIRC, all of these were planned for the 60th but due to budget cuts only Alice went through.

180º

IIRC, all of these were planned for the 60th but due to budget cuts only Alice went through.
Snow White got a couple of projection mapping effects and Peter Pan got a pretty thorough refurbishment with lots of new stuff. I guess that just leaves Pinocchio and Mr. Toad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom