Rumor Fantasyland Expansion

britain

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure Disney has no intention of killing Small World. But it was even publicly announced that they were going to tear down Tokyo's Small World and rebuild it on the location of their speedway. That plan ultimately was replaced with their Beauty and the Beast plan.

But the fact that it was announced and nearly happened shows that while Disney sees Small World as a valuable brand asset, they also see it as a cheap enough installation that it can be relocated if necessary.

If Disney is willing to change the course of the railroad and the Rivers of America for Star Wars, rebuilding Small World in a different location to make room for something like Frozen is a piece of cake.

VJ

As I was saying in the Runaway Railway thread, all this talk about about using more backstage space for expansion is useless when you've got Small World right in the way.

Well...

There was a recent survey asking guests "How likely are you going to want to go on Small World when you come back to Disneyland?" @lentesta can corroborate this. Mr. Jim Hill is saying this was to inform management as to how much of a hassle/disappointment it would be to guests if Small World were closed forever or moved to a new location in Fantasyland to make room for expansion. Regardless of your thoughts about Jim, management is asking this question. Hmm...
no.

mickEblu

I'm pretty sure Disney has no intention of killing Small World. But it was even publicly announced that they were going to tear down Tokyo's Small World and rebuild it on the location of their speedway. That plan ultimately was replaced with their Beauty and the Beast plan.

But the fact that it was announced and nearly happened shows that while Disney sees Small World as a valuable brand asset, they also see it as a cheap enough installation that it can be relocated if necessary.

If Disney is willing to change the course of the railroad and the Rivers of America for Star Wars, rebuilding Small World in a different location to make room for something like Frozen is a piece of cake.

I think IASW could use a major interior update but it’s location, facade and outdoor Queue are iconic. I wouldn’t trust them to move it. Where could they move it anyway?

Rich T

Man the local love for Toad is beyond my comprehension. I’ve tried to love it, honestly I have, but it’s bad!!!!
Hey, no one loves everything, but here's why many of us love Toad so much:
1. It's funny.
2. It's startling and bizarre.
3. It's the best use of a tiny space and a small budget ever. Who knew plywood could be so much fun?
4. Incredible attention to detail in portraying the film's world.
5. Best example ever of NOT telling a book report and instead focusing on the funniest, craziest, most ride-centric idea from the story (Toad's a terrible driver) AND adding in an original surprise ending just because it's too good an idea *not* to.
6. See above. Best, possibly most famous (and infamous) ending to a ride ever.
7. Awesome theme song, great safety spiel from Ratty.
8. It's iconic. There's nothing else like it (anymore) on Earth.

Even though it's one of my favorite rides ever, I sure don't expect everyone to like it, especially if you've never seen the film (nearly everything on the ride--except hell--comes from the film). Heck, I don't enjoy Disney's Marvel movies (dodges rock).

Rich T

As I was saying in the Runaway Railway thread, all this talk about about using more backstage space for expansion is useless when you've got Small World right in the way.

Well...

There was a recent survey asking guests "How likely are you going to want to go on Small World when you come back to Disneyland?" @lentesta can corroborate this. Mr. Jim Hill is saying this was to inform management as to how much of a hassle/disappointment it would be to guests if Small World were closed forever or moved to a new location in Fantasyland to make room for expansion. Regardless of your thoughts about Jim, management is asking this question. Hmm...
Of course, management *could* just actually visit the park (gasp) and see for themselves the long queue for one of the park's most high-capacity rides.

Epcot_Imagineer

There was a recent survey asking guests "How likely are you going to want to go on Small World when you come back to Disneyland?" Regardless of your thoughts about Jim, management is asking this question. Hmm...
Disney is pretty dumb, but they’re not dumb enough to get rid of small world.
People still read Jim Hill’s rhetoric?

Just going to chime in here real quick: This survey question is getting passed around with no context of the actual survey. The person who captured the screen-grab of the survey in question later clarified that his survey asked this question about every ride that he indicated to have ridden. The survey isn't so much "management asking the question" about IASW, but a pre-programmed survey that automatically asks, "Would you ride ______ again" for every ride that you indicated that you had ridden.

EDIT: Not trying to question the credibility of anyone... the tweet was getting spread like wildfire and I think very few people saw the later clarification. I was just trying to clear things up 😇

Last edited:

britain

Original Poster
Just going to chime in here real quick: This survey question is getting passed around with no context of the actual survey. The person who captured the screen-grab of the survey in question later clarified that his survey asked this question about every ride that he indicated to have ridden. The survey isn't so much "management asking the question" about IASW, but a pre-programmed survey that automatically asks, "Would you ride ______ again" for every ride that you indicated that you had ridden.

Ha! Welp, I'll sip my beverage and let @lentesta chime in on that.

truecoat

Hey, no one loves everything, but here's why many of us love Toad so much:
1. It's funny.
2. It's startling and bizarre.
3. It's the best use of a tiny space and a small budget ever. Who knew plywood could be so much fun?
4. Incredible attention to detail in portraying the film's world.
5. Best example ever of NOT telling a book report and instead focusing on the funniest, craziest, most ride-centric idea from the story (Toad's a terrible driver) AND adding in an original surprise ending just because it's too good an idea *not* to.
6. See above. Best, possibly most famous (and infamous) ending to a ride ever.
7. Awesome theme song, great safety spiel from Ratty.
8. It's iconic. There's nothing else like it (anymore) on Earth.

Even though it's one of my favorite rides ever, I sure don't expect everyone to like it, especially if you've never seen the film (nearly everything on the ride--except hell--comes from the film). Heck, I don't enjoy Disney's Marvel movies (dodges rock).

You are in a car, it features drinking and you go to hell. I hope it never goes away.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not to add fuel to the fire. But I'm still not sure why you think this. IASW is not right in the way of a path backstage. The only thing that IASW is in directly line of backstage is whatever sits behind it and the TDA building. In my opinion that would be the most inefficient way to create an expansion path to backstage.

A better path backstage in my opinion would be to tear down Fantasyland Theater and the west side of Toontown (which except for the Mickey and Minnie M&G is a waste of space anyways), which give you greater access to backstage.

All of this in moot right now anyways as there is no indication of further backstage consolidation. However its always nice to speculate and bluesky.

Animaniac93-98

How about an expansion that does not involve either Beauty and the Beast or Frozen? What about another Disney movie that hasn't been done to death in the parks, or better yet, a totally original idea?

I can see Bob frowning over this suggestion, though.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

BrianLo

How about an expansion that does not involve either Beauty and the Beast or Frozen? What about another Disney movie that hasn't been done to death in the parks, or better yet, a totally original idea?

You're right. We need a Mermaid expansion. :hilarious:

There aren't a lot of better European based fairytale options though. There are certainly a lot of worse choices. Plus I feel like Fantasyland is very clearly European rooted.

Rapunzel/Cinderella being the only clear standouts off the top of my head. But resort wide Beauty and the Beast and Frozen are the logical choices for more permanency.

Certainly I'd love to see things like Moana or Jungle Book... but not in Fantasyland.

TROR

I’d support Tokyo’s Tangled ride over their Beauty and the Beast ride coming to Disneyland. Also the show building for Beauty and the Beast is way too big for Disneyland. Like, an undeserving size for just another movie. Scale that down drastically if it’s to be in this small local park.

BrianLo

PS here are the old Tokyo plans. Smallworld is that structure beside Space mountain (relocated from their Fantasyland) and B&TB main attraction was still incorporated. The little cluster of huts wedged between the two is actually the new Theatre.

tokyo-disney-resort-feat1.png

One can certainly see some parallels that something similar would work for DL. Small World as more of a Fantasyland-Tomorrowland Bridge. A moved Fantasyland theatre tucked back in the Autotopia plot. The B&TB village in the motorboat area and the main B&TB attraction occupying the current Small world Mall.

Presumably a Frozen attraction occupying the Wonderbra plot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom