Fantasyland expansion a go - CONFIRMED

You know I was just thinking. One of Lasseter's favorite Disney films (and one of my own) is "The Sword in the Stone". How comes it isn't being represented in this New Fantasyland? It's a no brainer for boys and has some attraction potential. It actually performed better at the box office than sleeping beauty.

Oh wait now I know why it wasn't included, its not part of Disney's current marketing agenda.

Sleeping Beauty has been a bigger critical and commercial success than Sword in the Stone.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

It's the 29th highest grossing film of all time.

The Conundrum

Eric mentions the facade refurbs are being done THIS year. And both Pan and Small World have had their exterior refurbs. That's it, job done. Don't look for anything else to be done on those. You are reading WAY to much into that comment.

The only reason I was looking into it was because the question concerned if any of the attractions would be recieving upgrades/additions as part of the Fantasyland makeover.

It's his fault for not answering the question properly.

The only reason I was looking into it was because the question concerned if any of the attractions would be recieving upgrades/additions as part of the Fantasyland makeover.

It's his fault for not answering the question properly.

Well said. He answered a question about the new FL extension with an answer about current FL refurbs.

tirian

Sleeping Beauty was the second-highest grossing film in 1959 after Ben Hur. The reason It supposedly "Failed" financialy is because of how much it cost to make that they could not recoup the investment.:animwink:

It's also worth noting that Sleeping Beauty has been immensely successful on home video.

Animaniac93-98

Sleeping Beauty was the second-highest grossing film in 1959 after Ben Hurr. The reason It supposedly "Failed" financialy is because of how much it cost to make that they could not recoup the investment.:animwink:

SB has become the 2nd highest grossing film from 1959. It's $5.3 million domestic gross was much less than many other films that year (including Disney's own The gy Dog which made $9 million and cost 1/6th that of SB to make).

It's "29th" ranking includes multiple theatrical re-issues adjusted for inflation. It has become one of Disney's top 14 selling animated titles on home video, but lets not mess around with history here. ;)

tirian

SB has become the 2nd highest grossing film from 1959. It's $5.3 million domestic gross was much less than many other films that year (including Disney's own The gy Dog which made $9 million and cost 1/6th that of SB to make).

It's "29th" ranking includes multiple theatrical re-issues adjusted for inflation. It has become one of Disney's top 14 selling animated titles on home video, but lets not mess around with history here. ;)

Wow, we're off topic. But I'm going to jump in and then try to pull it back around.

SB was a critical success and a public disappointment, and film historians don't know why the movie underperformed. It certainly wasn't ahead of its time like Fantasia or the Wizard of Oz, both of which bombed. The most common explanations are that (1) the film cost too much and (2) the public was no longer interested in fairy tales. Walt's future decisions to steer his films away from fantasy, along with the industry's move toward grittier movies, seem to confirm the second theory.

But none of that matters. Sleeping Beauty is very popular now, and Aurora deserves a place in the MK. The DVD and Blu-Ray releases did very well—people know who she is, even if they call her "Sleeping Beauty" and not "Aurora."

EPCOT Explorer

Haha, no worries, I love sarcasm!
Same.:lol:
Wow, we're off topic. But I'm going to jump in and then try to pull it back around.

SB was a critical success and a public disappointment, and film historians don't know why the movie underperformed. It certainly wasn't ahead of its time like Fantasia or the Wizard of Oz, both of which bombed. The most common explanations are that (1) the film cost too much and (2) the public was no longer interested in fairy tales. Walt's future decisions to steer his films away from fantasy, along with the industry's move toward grittier movies, seem to confirm the second theory.

But none of that matters. Sleeping Beauty is very popular now, and Aurora deserves a place in the MK. The DVD and Blu-Ray releases did very well—people know who she is, even if they call her "Sleeping Beauty" and not "Aurora."

Never been keen on Film History, but, maybe you know- Is it true that WDC actually suffered a loss with this movie, and because of it, began to look for bigger options, like parks?:wave:

RSoxNo1

You know I was just thinking. One of Lasseter's favorite Disney films (and one of my own) is "The Sword in the Stone". How comes it isn't being represented in this New Fantasyland? It's a no brainer for boys and has some attraction potential. It actually performed better at the box office than sleeping beauty.

Oh wait now I know why it wasn't included, its not part of Disney's current marketing agenda.

I think if there was a dragon of sorts incorporated into this new land it would be a big boost for boys, however it seems Disney is afraid to put dragons in their parks ever since IOA built a couple of coasters with dragons on them.

Animaniac93-98

Never been keen on Film History, but, maybe you know- Is it true that WDC actually suffered a loss with this movie, and because of it, began to look for bigger options, like parks?:wave:

As already stated the parks were well into their development by the time SB actually reached the screen. The thing SB did do for Disney is change the way animated movies were made (large layoffs followed the movies release and xerox copying replaced hand tracing cells) and what subject matter was covered.

As for SB begin a critical success I would hardly say it was considering the scathing reviews it got. One critic commented that Maleficent looked like a clumsy Charles Addams drawing! Everyone was disappointed with it after a decade of hype and a huge promotional campaign that went on forever (not to mention high ticket prices for a 75 minute "Roadshow" attraction). Now it is loved however and respected by critics and the public alike. Time has a way of changing opinion.

MAF

Why on Earth would they want to create a "Sword in the Stone" attraction? Disney doesn't want to promote movies that were flops...

The Conundrum

Why on Earth would they want to create a "Sword in the Stone" attraction? Disney doesn't want to promote movies that were flops...

Fantasia, Pinnochio, Bambi, Sleeping Beauty, and Alice in Wonderland were all flops.

Better remove anything to do with them out of the parks too hmm?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom