Fantasmic Reopening Watch

donsullivan

Premium Member
A really nice update. Amazing lighting upgrades for n the theater and the new version of the show seems to flow very well. A couple of missing effects but a great overall performance.

CJR

Annual Passholder showing tonight delayed 15 minutes as people are still getting seated.

How full was it? It seemed kind of last minute, informing people, so I'm curious how many rushed over. At least, I didn't know about it until today.

I have the Pixie Dust pass, so it wasn't an option for me personally anyway, still curious how well attended it was.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
How full was it? It seemed kind of last minute, informing people, so I'm curious how many rushed over. At least, I didn't know about it until today.

I have the Pixie Dust pass, so it wasn't an option for me personally anyway, still curious how well attended it was.
The only empty sections seemed to be both of the ends. Not 100% sure, I wasn't paying attention.

gerarar

Premium Member
First show (11/12 8pm):
  • Couldn't find a livestream for this showing.
Second show (11/12 9:30pm):
  • Still no laser projections on mountain/stage. Did these somehow break already after the recent hurricane?
  • Mulan pyro comes from stage instead of water barges now?
  • No snake headlights.
  • No moat fire. Dragon did have fire pyro but moat didn't trigger along with it.
  • Steamboat pyro pinwheels spun!
  • One and half sections empty on either end seems like.

Last edited:

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

I ended up there because I got an alert on my Disney experience, and then decided “why not?” after dinner.

The far side sections (on both side of the theater) were empty.

I’m far from an expert on what effects were there and not there, but I did notice that there were no lights on the snake tonight, and no fire in the moat during the battle.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
  • No moat fire. Dragon did have fire pyro but moat didn't trigger along with it.

I’m far from an expert on what effects were there and not there, but I did notice that there were no lights on the snake tonight, and no fire in the moat during the battle.
This dragon pyro seems to be a constant issue, and has been incredibly noticeable in person, but tonight was the worst offender. It's been so drastically willy-nilly and off target. Needless to say, that's extremely dangerous for performers, equiptment, and guests. They need to figure it out ASAP.

Moat fire could have to do with how windy it was this evening. We were soaked by the time the show was over.

The projections were also lagging quite a bit during the villains part, visible from the right side of the arena.

Tom Morrow

The moat fire in my opinion is the most impressive part of the show. Without it is like Poseidon's Fury at IOA without the water vortex.

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask - how does the moat fire effect work?

Squishy

First show (11/12 8pm):
  • Still no laser projections on mountain/stage. Did these somehow break already after the recent hurricane?
  • No snake headlights.
Disney has the worst track record with lasers, I was surprised they lasted this long tbh 🤣

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
The moat fire in my opinion is the most impressive part of the show. Without it is like Poseidon's Fury at IOA without the water vortex.

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask - how does the moat fire effect work?
99% sure I can answer this. Pretty sure they use a natural gas, which has a lesser density than water, so it creates a thin top layer on the lagoon. If you watch during the Villains part before the dragon enters the stage, the lagoon has large bubbles flowing on the surface, which seems to be the release of the gas. The Pyro shot from the dragon's mouth then ignites the top layer of gas, which spreads through the lagoon.

gerarar

Premium Member
99% sure I can answer this. Pretty sure they use a natural gas, which has a lesser density than water, so it creates a thin top layer on the lagoon. If you watch during the Villains part before the dragon enters the stage, the lagoon has large bubbles flowing on the surface, which seems to be the release of the gas. The Pyro shot from the dragon's mouth then ignites the top layer of gas, which spreads through the lagoon.
1 out of 4 times the dragon pyro doesn't ignite that top layer of gas in the water. Hence the barges ignite it instead (1). Same thing happens during the steamboat finale, a small patch in front of each barge gets lit up (2) right before Sorceror Mickey appears – glad this effect wasn't cut out since it's in unison with the pyro on the barges.

The good thing about ours is we let the fire spread around the moat/lagoon naturally. At DL, all the water gets ignited instantly by the 6 water barges because there's little time between dragon breathing fire to when Mickey defeats dragon.

(1)
Screenshot_20221113_075452.jpg

(2)
Screenshot_20221113_075818.jpg

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

First show (11/12 8pm):
  • No snake headlights.

I think Mulan always had two blasts from the stage, very front lowest walkway of stage.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Makes you wonder why disney hasn’t done more ‘behind the scenes’ tours of their big productions like this. I’d pay…
One of my best memories as a CM was getting to do a backstage tour of Fantasmic. We went all around the stage, down under, and even got to walk through the costume area. It's absolutely mindblowing the intense work that goes into this show.

gerarar

Premium Member
I think Mulan always had two blasts from the stage, very front lowest walkway of stage.
Yeah you're right. I went back to the first CM preview show (pic below) and it does show two mines coming from the lower walkway on the stage. I guess last night one of them misfired so I noticed it more and caught my attention lol.
VideoCapture_20221113-113150.jpg

Last edited:

mm52200

I haven’t seen Fantasmic since probably 2017-2018ish until just now when it reopened. Has it always taken so long to load the theatre? It’s crazy
I think that’s where you’re really seeing the two year closure come into play. Most of the Ops cast members most likely working the theatre now never have before.
So they’re still learning and re-perfecting the operation I imagine.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I think that’s where you’re really seeing the two year closure come into play. Most of the Ops cast members most likely working the theatre now never have before.
So they’re still learning and re-perfecting the operation I imagine.
I’ve noticed the second show is usually delayed 10-15 minutes, presumably for that very reason.

gerarar

Premium Member
First show (11/13 8pm)
  • No laser projections on mountain/stage still (4th day and counting).
  • No snake headlights.
  • No moat fire.
  • Steamboat pyro pinwheels were perfect tonight!
  • There were barge fires right before Sorceror Mickey appeared in the finale, so that doesn't really explain why no moat fire during dragon scene.
  • Full show, only one show tonight.

Meeko77

Annual Passholder showing of Fantasmic! to take place November 12 at Disney's Hollywood Studios​

How/where was this announced? For guests who already happened to be in the park? I didn't see an email about it. I feel like I miss out on a lot of passholder things due to poor communication on Disney's part.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom