Fantasmic Reopening Watch

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here was a streamer that happened to catch the full show (after streaming a full day at the park). Jump ahead to about 5:44:00 in the feed. Can clearly see some sort of fluid rapidly draining from the head. Just glad Mickey was safe. He was relatively close when it caught fire.

https://www.youtube.com/live/czaiJpW3pys?feature=share
Yeah, definitely the fuel tank hydraulics started leaking.

Then with the head going in a straight up position, that allowed the fuel to drip down the entirety of the dragon.

Favorite moments:
Yo, this isn't supposed to happen.
This is going viral, bro!
Dragon bonfire... stay and watch. Fuel hyraulics tank explodes... RUN AWAY!​
Pre-recorded, "The show will not continue." Yeah, a-duh. How about anyone get on the PA and tell them get out *now*?​
In the end, the upbeat jazzy BGM while Maleficent burns.​

Last edited:

Movielover

Suprised the fuel tank continued to leak. You would think a pump would be required to get it up to the head.
Doubtful the actual fuel storage was in the Dragon, I don't know how exactly that AA worked but I thought most of it was a inflatable skin around a robotic skeleton. I'm guessing that it had a fuel tube running to the mouth leading to whatever pyro projector was used with the pump being elsewhere where the actual fuel storage is. its likely a valve or connector broke in the mouth where that fuel line connected to the pyro device and as such fuel leaked from there since it was being pumped from all the way back in the storage tank. Again I don't know for sure but I am for certain that the actual fuel storage tank was not in the Dragon itself.

Touchdown

Doubtful the actual fuel storage was in the Dragon, I don't know how exactly that AA worked but I thought most of it was an inflatable skin around a robotic skeleton. I'm guessing that it had a fuel tube running to the mouth leading to whatever pyro projector was used with the pump being elsewhere where the actual fuel storage is. its likely a valve or connector broke in the mouth where that fuel line connected to the pyro device and as such fuel leaked from there since it was being pumped from all the way back in the storage tank. Again I don't know for sure but I am for certain that the actual fuel storage tank was not in the Dragon itself.
The dragon had already done its flame blast though, there was no reason for fuel to continue to be pumped at that point in the show.

Movielover

The dragon had already done its flame blast though, there was no reason for fuel to continue to be pumped at that point in the show.
That why I think it was a valve or cutoff point that failed. Something that should have stop it didn't and it continued to pump fuel.

doctor.png

Squishy

Something interesting is the first flame sequence didn't fully ignite but it does seem to have been caused by misloaded pyro which then was fueled and made worse by the gas.

Movielover

It was probably both as 1 minute into the fire there was a huge flame shooting down towards the stage which looked more like the propane effect the dragon spits out.
I agree. looks like both plus now that you mentioned that second flame burst it did during the finale I can see that in the video. Overall just a catastrophic failure of all the systems on that AA. Shame.

Disney Analyst

It was probably both as 1 minute into the fire there was a huge flame shooting down towards the stage which looked more like the propane effect the dragon spits out.

As far as I’m aware it doesn’t use propane, but an ISOPAR effect with a beeswax composite.

(This is how the flames for World of Color are also propelled and ignited).

My understanding is it only ignites when sprayed into a fine particle.

Squishy

As far as I’m aware it doesn’t use propane, but an ISOPAR effect with a beeswax composite.

(This is how the flames for World of Color are also propelled and ignited).

My understanding is it only ignites when sprayed into a fine particle.
Not exactly too sure what gas they use for the effect but whatever it was definitely was visible & added to the fire after the pyrotechnic started it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom