Fantasmic! gets show lighting upgrades ahead of its 15th anniversary

DancingPhoenix

We'll be attending Fantasmic! hopefully on the 28th. I would certainly love a free hat! Might have to weasel around once at the park and see what's going on that night when I'm actually there.

Also I don't think there's room in the back for a big animatronic Maleficent because I know there is a drop floor where Mickey goes at the top. I would also assume there are elevators to get up there and what not so the fully suited Mickey doesn't have to climb ladders. I've never been back there myself so I'm not 100% sure, but that's what I've gathered.

GiveMeTheMusic

I love Pocahontas. I just think the choice of including a segment with white people shooting Indians dead in a Disney theme park spectacular is a bit...off-putting.

And, it can't compare to the Peter Pan segment in DL's Fantasmic, so as long as you've never had the pleasure of seeing the real Fantasmic at DL, Pocahontas is great. Except for the Indian killing part. Awkwaaaaaard

Californian Elitist

I love Pocahontas. I just think the choice of including a segment with white people shooting Indians dead in a Disney theme park spectacular is a bit...off-putting.

And, it can't compare to the Peter Pan segment in DL's Fantasmic, so as long as you've never had the pleasure of seeing the real Fantasmic at DL, Pocahontas is great. Except for the Indian killing part. Awkwaaaaaard

I agree, it is awkward. And it doesn't seem like an appropriate fit, when you look at the Pan segment.

ExtinctJenn

We'll be attending Fantasmic! hopefully on the 28th. I would certainly love a free hat! Might have to weasel around once at the park and see what's going on that night when I'm actually there.
Pretty sure it was just for the night they were there shooting for their YouTube channel and knew that a ton of web media would be there as well. :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't get the hate either. The Pocahontas canoe/action sequence is one of the only really coherent parts of the show.
If anything, the rest of the show should be more like it.

Oh man, that was the worst.
It was so loud too.

Ugh... It's so boring... Drags on and on. You can barely see the individuals and who is supposed to be who. Try watching the real version of the show and see the Peter Pan segment and understand why Pocahontas is a pathethic replacement

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
DL has the big advantage of being able to use the Mark Twain and Columbia in their version of Fantastic. I like the Pocahontas section but it can't compare to the sounds on canon fire and then the river lights up and the Columbia is sailing towards you with pirates and Peter Pan fighting and swinging off the rigging.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Everything else in the show is either larger than life (mickey, dragon, snake, etc) or closer to you (the barges). Humans up on the mountain are just too far away.

FigmentJedi

Yeah, I really wish they had gone with the original plan of having a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea segment with Mickey playing an organ on the island while Captain Nemo fights the squid on the Nautilus on the water.

StringBeanDream

Yeah, I really wish they had gone with the original plan of having a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea segment with Mickey playing an organ on the island while Captain Nemo fights the squid on the Nautilus on the water.

Was that really an original plan? That sounds awesome. I think the original idea for the Mickey vs. Malificent battle would have been really neat.

TTA94

Just curious, How come all the Fantasmic artwork shows Sorcerer Mickey fighting maleficent and in the actual show Mickey is dressed different? Would be cool if Disney could come up with a better way with lighting or something to give the effect of "magic" or lightning coming out of Mickey's hand, also like in the artwork. I just think the Villains battle with Mickey could be better.

But DHS needs a new dragon bad! Or a overhaul like TDS Fantasmic

ChristianG

To be fair, watching recent videos, WDW's Fantasmic isn't looking the worst anymore. Obviously there is tons of room for improvement, but can you honestly say that the show looks like crap right now? The lighting is so vivid and bright, the pyrotechnics are working smoothly, there's a lot of credit due where credit isn't given. Of course they need to fix the lift on the mountain, upgrade the projectors, fix the lighting on Steamboat Willie (have you seen how many lights are out on that thing?), maybe upgrade the dragon, but I'm still kind of impressed here. I would go even as far as saying that WDW's finale is looking a lot sharper than DL's finale. Now I don't mean to start any WDW vs DL arguments here (trust me I HATE them), but Disneyland's lighting and pyro for the finale has been just all over the place since they redid it a few years ago. I've always thought that WDW's finale was very clean when it came to choreographing the lights and pyro.

But honestly, rewatch any of the recent WDW videos and just pay attention to the lighting throughout the entire show, because hot damn it's looking fresh.

I just wish that the upgrades to WDW's show came more frequently rather than a new thing every two years.

Cosmic Commando

To be fair, watching recent videos, WDW's Fantasmic isn't looking the worst anymore. Obviously there is tons of room for improvement, but can you honestly say that the show looks like crap right now? The lighting is so vivid and bright, the pyrotechnics are working smoothly, there's a lot of credit due where credit isn't given. Of course they need to fix the lift on the mountain, upgrade the projectors, fix the lighting on Steamboat Willie (have you seen how many lights are out on that thing?), maybe upgrade the dragon, but I'm still kind of impressed here. I would go even as far as saying that WDW's finale is looking a lot sharper than DL's finale. Now I don't mean to start any WDW vs DL arguments here (trust me I HATE them), but Disneyland's lighting and pyro for the finale has been just all over the place since they redid it a few years ago. I've always thought that WDW's finale was very clean when it came to choreographing the lights and pyro.

But honestly, rewatch any of the recent WDW videos and just pay attention to the lighting throughout the entire show, because hot damn it's looking fresh.

I just wish that the upgrades to WDW's show came more frequently rather than a new thing every two years.
I watched the full show from the GwtS debut at DHS, and the only big difference I noticed was a lot more fountains and lighting effects during the dragon scene. We here on this board don't take kindly to fancy lighting tricks used in place of awesome animatronics.

PRzY5.jpg

ExtinctJenn

But DHS needs a new dragon bad!
The last time we caught the show was the first time I had seen the dragon sequence in a couple years (because it seemed he was always broken). I thought when he came out and looked as awesome as he did for that night, that they HAD replaced him. Maybe we just lucked out and they had "fixed" him?

ChristianG

I watched the full show from the GwtS debut at DHS, and the only big difference I noticed was a lot more fountains and lighting effects during the dragon scene. We here on this board don't take kindly to fancy lighting tricks used in place of awesome animatronics.

PRzY5.jpg

I wouldn't necessarily say that they're trying to replace or hide the dragon with the new lighting. It's clear as day that the dragon is fully functional, unlike the Yeti, so I see no reason to hide it. The lighting, instead, is probably there to enhance the scene. Before the lighting upgrades a few years ago, the dragon scene lacked color because everything was drowned out by the bright flames. The new lighting fixes that, in my opinion, and also creates cool shadow effects with the dragon.

By the way I love that picture of the yeti! It's the most accurate drawing of the ride scene.

Magenta Panther

Yeah, I'd rather WDW's show had the Peter Pan segment instead of Pocahontas, like Disneyland's.

GiveMeTheMusic

Was that really an original plan? That sounds awesome. I think the original idea for the Mickey vs. Malificent battle would have been really neat.

I don't know if it was proposed for WDW, but I do know it was considered for DLR. The original plan for Fantasmic at DHS was very different than what ended up happening, so I'm sure someone knows if this scene was part of that plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom