Fantasmic closing?

TP2000

That's frightening.

Yes, the Character pictures from the 1950's and early 60's always are.

Even in the 1960's, as Disneyland techs experimented with new costume concepts for the walkaround characters, it got weirder before it got better. :lookaroun

2_62_MickeyEntrance.jpg

But now there's amazing new technology, like the talking Mickey Mouse that Disneyland tested last month in Toontown. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI79JT8U8CY&feature=related

Many of us have said it before, but Fantasmic! is a proven and solid way to pull in crowds and entertain masses of people. DHS only needs to upgrade their version of the show, that has become noticeably tired looking by 2010 standards, using the recent additions and upgrades at Disneyland and the new World of Color technology going in to the new Fantasmic! show at Tokyo DisneySea.

Upgrade the lights, audio and effects a la' Disneyland. Replace the old 70MM film projectors with the new digital projectors that did wonders for clearing up the mist screen images when they installed them two years ago at Disneyland. Use the nifty new gizmos from World of Color for fountains and spefx. And update the mist screen images with characters and stories that have come out since Bill Clinton was in his first term in the White House.

Don't ditch Fantasmic! at DHS just because it's not as popular as it once was. Freshen it up, invest in it, call the Disneyland managers for some advice and ask Tokyo what they have planned, and get it ready for another 20 years of magic!

For those that are curious...

studiosnorth_expansion.jpg

Not 100% accurate, but accurate enough to give an idea of how much is available back there. South of RnR, the area including Rosie's All-American Cafe is a placeholder for future expansion. Northeast of the Tower of Terror are some entertainment trailers that could in theory be used in future expansion. The Theater of the Stars area could also be re-purposed for an attraction, though I'm doubtful they would have to demolish the theater at any time in the forseeable future.

Also, many Studios buildings are semi-temporary and could easily be demolished, so just because there's a building in the way doesn't mean it's not an expansion plot. :)
What about those trees northwest of ToT? :shrug:

TP2000

What's a WD...I don't remember talking about sinkholes at DHS.

WD = World Drive. The main drag into WDW property.

Is that grove of trees an active sinkhole and they filled it in and planted it? Or is it just a swampy area that has a potential to form a sinkhole? Either way, it's fascinating.

WDWFigment

It's funny...almost everytime Drew posts a rumor or information here and does not indicate his source, people demand the source and/or criticize him for making up information. Yet I can't recall the last time his information was unreliable. It seems like by now people (especially folks who have been here 2+ years) would realize that he has reliable sources and, further, that he's not going to indicate from where his information comes.

As to the substance of the rumor, I guess I'm one of the few who could see this as a potential positive. While I enjoy Fantasmic, it running two nights/week makes it almost impossible to see unless you're willing to wait or purchase a dinner package. Moreover, portions of the show are showing their date (Pocahantas is not popular enough to play such a prominent role in the show). A nighttime show is nice, but I think two new attractions that can be run during the entire day are much more important for this park. That is, assuming it's an either/or proposition due to budgets (either Fantasmic stays or the park gets two new attractions). I think the Studios could use both a nighttime show and two new attractions, but that is assuming limitless budgets. In reality, that is not the case.

powlessfamily4

Has it, though? I was under the assumption the shows (especially at 9 PM) were jam-packed, since it was only running a couple of nights a week.

I was at DHS on June 6th and we couldn't even get into the first show it was to capacity. Then we waitied in line for 45 minutes to mak sure we could get in the second show.... the crush of people was unreal. It was so worth it!!! I would really hate to see this go away.

Now if they did a show while you were on a roller coaster.... Heck yeah!!

Can you imagine surging through laser lights and water sprays while fireworks were bursting around you! :ROFLOL:

tizzo

... It seems like by now people (especially folks who have been here 2+ years) would realize that he has reliable sources and, further, that he's not going to indicate from where his information comes.

I'm reminded of a SNL skit from the first weeks of Operation Desert Storm in Kuwait. An actor playing General Norman Schwarzkopf was giving a press briefing, and the questions from the gallery were increasingly -- revealing. Starting from "is your intel reliable", to "where did your intel come from", to eventually things like "exactly how many troops do we have and what are their positions" and "what would the enemy have to do in order to defeat the coalition forces".

In that spirit, I'd like to ask Drew - what is the full name of your source anyway? Would you also please identify his or her employer, badge number, SSN, and any other identifying information you have. Thanks.

lebeau

As to the substance of the rumor, I guess I'm one of the few who could see this as a potential positive. While I enjoy Fantasmic, it running two nights/week makes it almost impossible to see unless you're willing to wait or purchase a dinner package. Moreover, portions of the show are showing their date (Pocahantas is not popular enough to play such a prominent role in the show). A nighttime show is nice, but I think two new attractions that can be run during the entire day are much more important for this park. That is, assuming it's an either/or proposition due to budgets (either Fantasmic stays or the park gets two new attractions). I think the Studios could use both a nighttime show and two new attractions, but that is assuming limitless budgets. In reality, that is not the case.

Totally agree. If it's an either/or, I'll take the attractions.

From a selfish perspective, I've been trying (and failing) to see Fantasmic! for 7 years now. At this rate, I don't think I'll ever get to see it. May as well replace it with something I have a chance of seeing.

SeaCastle

Whatever happens to Fantasmic, I entreat the powers-that-be to keep it out of our Frontierland. Our River District still has trees, shade, and a feeling and mood as comfortable as an old sweater. By day, Disneyland's Rivers of America promenade is a stroller parking lot and a shadeless stretch of pavement. At night, it suits its purpose as a pseudo-amphitheather, but isn't a pretty sight in the daytime. I don't know about Disneylanders, but I do enjoy my peaceful walk on the boardwalk with our [tranquil] meandering river.

However, I do happen to enjoy Disneyland's Fantasmic! very much, more so than our Studios'.

DisneyNut2007

(Pocahantas is not popular enough to play such a prominent role in the show).

That's a VERY unfair, discriminatory and derogatory remark! It's like saying that Pete's Dragon shouldn't be featured in the MSEP just because it's not so popular and well-known to some of today's audiences. :mad:

Also, Pocahontas IS still popular actually. For one thing, she's one of the 9 official princesses in the Disney Princess franchise.

Khgal53

re Fantasmic closing:

I hope they don't close Fantasmic!! Its one of my
favorite things to see when i go to Disney.

However, if they do close it for good they'll probably
put World of Color ( another nightime show ) in its place since
they already have it at Disney california.

There's also talk of a new superhero area, and since
universal has the whole Harry Potter expereince Disney might
have to out do them with a new superhero area that will
include various marvel characters.

ToTBellHop

I hope they don't close Fantasmic!! Its one of my
favorite things to see when i go to Disney.

However, if they do close it for good they'll probably
put World of Color ( another nightime show ) in its place since
they already have it at Disney california.

There's also talk of a new superhero area, and since
universal has the whole Harry Potter expereince Disney might
have to out do them with a new superhero area that will
include various marvel characters.
Um...no. On any of this. Why resurrect a thread that is almost 2 years old and no longer at all relevant?

Fantasmic is staying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom