Fantasmic closing?

IWant2GoNow

Not to add any fuel to a fire (I think at *most* WDI may be developing 2 potential roller coasters for the park, of which one will get picked)

BUT, the rumor doesn't state that the coasters will occupy the space F! did, just that they'll replace it as an attraction, which in my mind could be anywhere in the park.

If that's the case, MI is definitely one of them over in PP. Not sure what the other would be. It would be ridiculously awesome to get a themed-out-the-wazoo Star Wars coaster though. Imagine a track surrounded by the Death Star trench walls for part of the ride! *Drool*

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Not to dismiss the idea entirely, but I'm not sure I can see TDO building both and MI coaster, and then spending the funds to drain and renovate the area within the F! theatre. Plussing the show and perhaps adding some more performances during the week would seem to be a more economically viable options, especially if they could sell more dining/show packages....

RSoxNo1

Please forgive my ignorance, as it appears that Drew has some pull on this site, but what has he broken for news?

I'm not trying to be accusatory, I just genuinely don't recall Drew having inside information. Does he work for the company?

BrerFrog

If that's the case, MI is definitely one of them over in PP. Not sure what the other would be. It would be ridiculously awesome to get a themed-out-the-wazoo Star Wars coaster though. Imagine a track surrounded by the Death Star trench walls for part of the ride! *Drool*

What a fantastic idea! :sohappy:

I remember Martin saying something about future development being focused away from Sunset Boulevard in order to balance the guest's flow inside the park as it has already been stated in this thread. Building two coasters on the Fantasmic area would being even more chaos onto Sunset Boulevard.

lebeau

Please forgive my ignorance, as it appears that Drew has some pull on this site, but what has he broken for news?

I'm not trying to be accusatory, I just genuinely don't recall Drew having inside information. Does he work for the company?

I know Drew tends to have all the info on character and entertainment changes. Closing Fantasmic! would fit into that.

astro

Is there a specific reason why they would close Fantasmic? For guests I don't think there are enough viewings.

2/3 a week?! No wonder the 9pm showings are jam packed!

RiversideBunny

Rumors are often classified by intelligence agencies as a Class A, B, C, or D rumor.

Like-

Class A = Verified by several independent reliable sources.
Class B and C = Somewhere in between.
Class D = Completely unverified.

This is looking like a D, or at best a C, at this point.
:cool:

tizzo

Then why would there be a need to close Fantasmic? :shrug:

The fact that they cut F! back to so few performances demonstrates that its popularity is just not enough. Others have talked about the cost of putting it on, and that sounds like as good an explanation as any.

New construction makes sense right now because of the state of the economy. Financing, labor, and materials are all cheap.

It is plausible, I think, that these two decisions might have been made independently, and coincided in a way that would allow them to use the opening of new coasters to spin away the perception that in closing F!, Disney is simply enhancing the bottom line by giving the guest less for the same amount of money.

Certainly "We're replacing F! with two fabulous new attractions" sounds a lot better than "We're closing F!. Why don't you go watch American Idol?".

I'm not knocking Drew at all. I know he's a reliable source time and time again on here. But even he is stating that it's just a rumor.

And if taking away a proven night time attraction, and adding two coasters is Disney's only response to Harry Potter then it worries me even more.
I dont think its their only response just part of it. But the thing is , Fantasmic has been running out of steam since they only show it for 2 nights now. It has been near the edge of closing for a while, so the best bet would be to add a nighttime show such as World of Color to AK to make up for the loss.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I dont think its their only response just part of it. But the thing is , Fantasmic has been running out of steam since they only show it for 2 nights now. It has been near the edge of closing for a while, so the best bet would be to add a nighttime show such as World of Color to AK to make up for the loss.

Has it, though? I was under the assumption the shows (especially at 9 PM) were jam-packed, since it was only running a couple of nights a week.

BrerFrog

Has it, though? I was under the assumption the shows (especially at 9 PM) were jam-packed, since it was only running a couple of nights a week.

Maybe the fact that they are running only twice a week is the reason why the few showings available are so packed. :D

magicmaya

Oh NO NO NO NO NONO! they CANT close fantasmic! That's the only nightime entertainment that DHS has! This is too hard to believe. Isn't there space somewhere else in the park where they can build the coasters? I love thrills but if they were to close fantasmic for 2 coasters, I'd be VERY upset! Please don't let this be true.

ms7479a

Just wondering, IF they were to get rid of Fantasmic is there any chance of bringing back nightly fireworks to the Studios?

munkgirl

With MI2 in the pipe for the next few years, it would make sense to have a MI attraction. The question is, will it be a sweet door-warehouse coaster, or a lame TDL dark ride?

Pixar Pl is getting a bit cramped...

BrerFrog

With MI2 in the pipe for the next few years, it would make sense to have a MI attraction. The question is, will it be a sweet door-warehouse coaster, or a lame TDL dark ride?

Pixar Pl is getting a bit cramped...

I think it is pretty much "confirmed" it will be a coaster, although I would prefer the TDL Dark Ride. I will take a top-notch Dark Ride over a good coaster any time of the day.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Coming soon, High School Musical: The Musical!

Oh, it's already here. The musical version had a VERY successful two year national tour and is one of the most licensed titles to amateur theater groups and schools. It's an incredible popular title.

The stage version of the second film flopped horrifically, but that's another story.

IWant2GoNow

Gotcha.

WoC would be nice. I thought Lee said it would be extremely difficult to add it to DAK though. I was figuring DHS would get a smaller version of it if anywhere.

I actually skipped F! this last trip because it wasn't showing the night we went to DHS. I was very surprised that they limited the showings. It was the most popular night show at The World. Could it really cost that much more to run than RoE?

disneysroyal411

If they closed Fantasmic! It would be a whole lot of BS! Not only would DLR have that, but also Magical and WoC! Plus Carsland. Plus it fits perfectly at DHS, I don't see them getting rid of it for a long time because it is a really good show.

EDIT: And it is still pretty popular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom