Family threatens lawsuit after snake bite at Disney Park

Incomudro

A question that occurs to me is why a Disney nurse would assume the bite was from a non venomous snake and simply put a bandaid on it. There would be no way of knowing what kind of snake did the biting unless the family took the critter to first aid and found some way of determining the species.

I would think you would want to err on the side of caution and either call an ambulance or urge the family to seek the attention of a hospital or doctor.

You can tell by looking at the bite if the snake was venomous or non venomous.
Fang Marks. Non venomous snakes don't have fangs.
All of the venomous species of snakes in North America are vipers, with the exception of coral snakes.
Vipers leave two distinct fang marks.
Coral snakes are rear fanged, and need to bite and chew to inject venom. But coral snakes are distinct looking and would never be up in a tree. You would need to handle a coral snake to get it to bite you.
This is beyond silly. Are we supposed to believe people from Alabama are unfamiliar with snakes?
(I myself saw a Rat Snake of some type in AK, and a dead Milk Snake in Magic Kingdom.)
Good thing these people didn't see an alligator near Splash Mountain, or heaven help us - an Anole!

Skibum1970

I would assume that the pain from the venom would have necessitated more than just a Bandaid. You swell up fairly quick from venom. Hopefully, no one died but there are definitely some missing pieces to this story. I myself was bitten by a water snake when I was a young lad and nearly died. Of fright. Stupid baby water snake with teeth that barely punctured my finger. I had to get a friggin' tetanus shot as well. Thankfully, my dad executed a swift and terrible vengeance upon the snake. Actually, that was his MO for all snakes, whether or not they were prone to biting ignorant boys who picked them up by their tails.

I did have a run-in with a stupid sea gull at the Magic Kingdom. I was walking while it was panning for bread. It kept getting in my way until finally it took off. When it did, it flew into my chest and continued flying and climbing me like I was some kind of mobile tree. It cleared my head and took off without so much as a "by your leave". I was buffeted by the wings and worried that the gull was going to poop on me. Stupid gull. Just kept yelling, "Mine, Mine, Mine" the whole time.

fillerup

Anytime you go to First Aid, protocol is that they always offer to call an ambulance, or offer to provide transport to a medical facility. The family chose to go back to the parks, which indicates that no one at the time found it to be serious.

Makes sense. Thanks

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Interesting this occurred in 2014. Also, having three boys, I am suspicious that the bite from a falling snake was on his finger. Sounds more like he picked it up. If they went to first aid, it was cleaned and bandaid was offered. If grandma was having a heart attack, they would have called an ambulance. But they returned to the parks.

If this did occur in 2014 then the death of the grandmother would have to have been reported in the quarter injury report that Disney puts out, but it wasn't.

Goofyernmost

If the part about the grandmother dying because of a heart attack is false I wonder how she feels about her family fabricating a story just to get some easy money.
If it isn't true, they will probably kill her to get the settlement.

True, but we all tend to use those two words interchangeably (?) :rolleyes:
Poisonous or Venomous? Venom is poison so a snake is venomous meaning that it can poison you. So it isn't at all incorrect to say that a snake is poisonous, because it is only venomous until it bites. At that point you don't need to eat it to get poisoned by it. I know of no one that has ever been described as venom-ed to death. :hungover:

Glasgow

Beyond the admittedly amusing silliness and with proper respect to the family, the two main factors will be if the purported snake was actually disney owned and if so, was the death of the grandmother in any way caused by said snake bite. Regardless of how the boy was bitten, disney is tacitly responsible for said snake and therefore has some ownership of impending events.

Of course, it can seem frivolous based on prelim reports but my interest is now piqued to hear of the timeline of events and the perp reptile.

BoarderPhreak

People suck.

Life is full of potential for accidents, and even Disney, as bubble wrapped as it is, is not immune. In the "woods" of Florida, anything can happen (even if Disney makes bugs disappear). To blame Disney for any of this is absurd. Okay, maaaaaybe the boy - but nothing happened to him in the grand scheme of things (see also: Band-Aid). The grandmother though?! That's not only a secondary incident, but well beyond Disney's control.

Take some responsibility for yourselves and accept that life is without guarantees.

durhay

hqdefault.jpg

"Watch out for snakes!"

Obi

I'd be more concerned with trees falling out of trees at DAK
My dad had a tree limb fall and hit him on his head in ak. Sent him down to the ground. A cm was right there, helped him out, asked if he was ok and if he needed first aid. Dad got up, shook it off, said he was fine and continued on his day. Darn it all to h e double hockey sticks that dad didn't follow proper protocol by grabbing his head, act like he was in the worst pain ever while writhing on the ground and yelling he was going to sue wdw for all they have.

MySmallWorldof4

Two years ago in AK a cover for one of the sewer drains was missing and I stepped in it. I went to Guest Relations to tell them that it was missing, not because I was going to sue but because I was afraid someone else would step in it and try to sue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom