Family claims white rabbit refused to touch kids (Disneyland)

lena

I agree in full with you.
"this looks like another case of a minority group overreacting to something innocent"
Really? You're agreeing with this. I guess its just a whole minority group overreacting, huh? I as a minority am very offended with this comment alone. I don't know if what the Black's are saying is true or not. Its not my call, but I am curious as to what makes you two think you can call out an entire ethnic group. You in fact made it racial when the op asked you not too. As hard as I work to teach my children to see pass color, there will always be people who just can't do the same. Those people are what I call racist, whether they be black, white, brown, or red.

asianway

And what IF it was just the fact that the little kid...of ANY race....was accidently overlooked? Does a CM lose his job over it?
God forbid they waited three minutes and didnt get any attention. People like this should get trespassed.

Of course, Donald and White Rabbit arent performed by the same height, so there must be a conspiracy afoot.

Aulani_Princess

I guess what bothered me was the fact she mentioned he hugged the white kids in line behind her. Why does it matter if they were white? Once he got to the line they were first. Why did you have to point out the race. You can't always control who you're in line with, even if sometimes you wish you could.

Californian Elitist

I guess what bothered me was the fact she mentioned he hugged the white kids in line behind her. Why does it matter if they were white? Once he got to the line they were first. Why did you have to point out the race. You can't always control who you're in line with, even if sometimes you wish you could.

That's the point, she felt the person in the suit was being racist because they were white. There wouldn't have been a point had she not mentioned the family was white.

Wesleyjohn

As I look back at our family character photos virtually ever time the character is playing off my kids actions. Seems to be the same to me in the Black pic to me.
Highly likely IMO Disney smelled at gold digger and hoped 500 would do it.
I've had it happen to me in my business and I could spot it pretty quick in the conversation what they were trying to pull.

HatboxGhost

Simply because I've paid all this money, MY money. LOTS of money. If I feel I've been treated unfair any way, it's really not to much to ask for a souvenir. I'm not asking for free food, comp tickets, whatever... Just a souvenir. Wow. That's how Disneyland fans are. That's it. If you can't understand that, oh well. We'll just be going around in circles.
I can see both points. I think some people tend to forget that there are real people in those suits and not the characters that they are portraying and that they are not computer programed to do the exact same thing to everyone so maybe that 1 kid out of 100 doesnt get the attention that they think or the parents think they deserve. On the other hand, we do pay a ton of our hard earned cash to get a full experience and even though it doesnt say or anyone can guarantee that experience, we should get it.

Wesleyjohn

That's the point, she felt the person in the suit was being racist because they were white. There wouldn't have been a point had she not mentioned the family was white.

See I think comment could be viewed as Black family is racist towards whites. It goes both ways. You could say if the Black family wasn't racist then they would say " the family in front" not , "the white family in front" Does that make sense.

Let me add to that. Everyone needs to be careful

Californian Elitist

I can see both points. I think some people tend to forget that there are real people in those suits and not the characters that they are portraying and that they are not computer programed to do the exact same thing to everyone so maybe that 1 kid out of 100 doesnt get the attention that they think or the parents think they deserve. On the other hand, we do pay a ton of our hard earned cash to get a full experience and even though it doesnt say or anyone can guarantee that experience, we should get it.

Darn straight.

StarWarsGirl

"this looks like another case of a minority group overreacting to something innocent"
Really? You're agreeing with this. I guess its just a whole minority group overreacting, huh? I as a minority am very offended with this comment alone. I don't know if what the Black's are saying is true or not. Its not my call, but I am curious as to what makes you two think you can call out an entire ethnic group. You in fact made it racial when the op asked you not too. As hard as I work to teach my children to see pass color, there will always be people who just can't do the same. Those people are what I call racist, whether they be black, white, brown, or red.
I really didn't mean to offend you. I live in an area where there are people of many races and ethnicities. I myself am part Native American (minority, by the way, though I appear entirely white). I have friends who are black, Indian, Sri Lankan, Asian...only 50% of my high school is white. In fact, my father will sometimes make racist comments (he is under the belief that interracial marriage is BAD), and I call him on it.

But what I do have is perspective. I've been in classes that have been dominated by Asians. And ya know, being in the racial minority, I found out, sucks. The exclusion, the hurtful glances, the looking down on you because you happen to not be the same race...yeah. It really sucks. I quit orchestra because of it and a wrist injury. BUT! What the commenter met was that people in minority groups can be oversensitive to racism. It seems to me like they are taking advantage of the situation to try to win some money. I also agree with a previous comment about how the body language was different. He was folding his arms. A kid who wants to be hugged will hug a character. Besides, if the kids behind this kid had run up and hugged the rabbit, then of course the rabbit would hug back.

When I was 4, I hugged the queen of hearts. She did not hug back. Does that make her racist against whites? Probably not. Same deal here. The white rabbit is always "Late, late, for a very important date."

Plus, what if the actor himself was African American? The article didn't say, so...

I'm sorry if you misunderstood the comment, but what was intended was that CERTAIN members of minority groups will cry racism to get some money. It had less to do with race in the end and more to do with seeing what they can get from Disney.

Californian Elitist

See I think comment could be viewed as Black family is racist towards whites. It goes both ways. You could say if the Black family wasn't racist then they would say " the family in front" not , "the white family in front" Does that make sense.

Let me add to that. Everyone needs to be careful

I disagree. The woman was trying to make a point. She was saying it was racism... It would be pointless if she hasn't pointed out the family's race.

StarWarsGirl

I disagree. The woman was trying to make a point. She was saying it was racism... It would be pointless if she hasn't pointed out the family's race.
True, but most who are trying to be careful would say "Caucasian" and refer to themselves as African American. Of course, if they had been Asian...

Wesleyjohn

True. She almost has to say it to make her point.

But I think in this case, racism can be created by the eye of the beholder.

I feel I could go on and on in circles on this. I'm just gonna move on. Someone point me toward a more uplifting thread.

HatboxGhost

True. She almost has to say it to make her point.

But I think in this case, racism can be created by the eye of the beholder.

I feel I could go on and on in circles on this. I'm just gonna move on. Someone point me toward a more uplifting thread.
We could talk about how much snow we are getting here in the northeast but that would suck. Sorry.

StarWarsGirl

Another article was a bit more clear about the circumstances. The kids tried to hug the rabbit and he flicked them away. The kids were very upset. The other article that was cited at the beginning did not have enough quotes and information to make it seem like racism. This one is clearer and the family seems more justified. However, it is still hard to prove, and it might be hard to determine which employee was in the suit.

However, the other lawsuits coming just seem to be an attempt to get more money.

smw

It makes me a little uncomfortable seeing such immediate dismissal of the claim by so many people. None of us know any more than what the article states. It's likely nothing, but certainly could be something. Racism does exist, after all.

I love disney as much as the rest of you, but it's not immune to disappointing employees.

Californian Elitist

It makes me a little uncomfortable seeing such immediate dismissal of the claim by so many people. None of us know any more than what the article states. It's likely nothing, but certainly could be something. Racism does exist, after all.

I live disney as much as the rest of you, but it's not immune to disappointing employees.

This.

smw

Thats what I was saying in an earlier post. Doesnt that sound to you like a racist comment coming from the family? It does to me to automatically assume that the CM was white and racist.

I'm not sure what's more absurd- this comment or the one where someone was able to identify with racism when their kid had bruises in a hospital.

Edit- Or perhaps the one where someone was able to understand the pain of racism because they were a white "minority" in a class "full of Asians."

Mr_Incredible

E
Thats what I was saying in an earlier post. Doesnt that sound to you like a racist comment coming from the family? It does to me to automatically assume that the CM was white and racist.

Exactly. That's like the comic I've seen. A white stick figure and a black figure. The black one asks "why cause I am black" and the white one says "are you asking me that cause I am white?" They both stare at eachother as the comic ends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom