Face it, Mission Space's Days are Numbered.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
It's a good thing the surprise FP's stopped prior to this happening. I don't ven want to think about the implications and legal trouble associated with giving someone a FP for a ride they didn't ask for and then having them die from riding it.

hardcard

Original Poster
CitizenRob said:
You went on it once and it had a short line, so you're basing the ride's entire popularity on that one trip?

No, I've ridden the ride several times.. and I'd like to clarify that I LOVE the RIDE! I'm just trying to look at this practically... someone stated that the publics' attention span is extremely short.. I agree.. but isn't it the public that pays to visit the attraction? if they have a misconception that the ride is dangerous. that doesn't makle the ride dangerous, but bad publicity in the public word-o-mouth channels won't help the attractions longevity.

CitizenRob

Bah! It will make it more popular! People will come across from all around to the the RIDE OF DEATH! Who wouldn't want to ride the ride that "Killed some dude!". It's now getting more publicity than ever, and Disney didn't have to spend a penny!

ToTBellHop

hardcard said:
No, I've ridden the ride several times.. and I'd like to clarify that I LOVE the RIDE! I'm just trying to look at this practically... someone stated that the publics' attention span is extremely short.. I agree.. but isn't it the public that pays to visit the attraction? if they have a misconception that the ride is dangerous. that doesn't makle the ride dangerous, but bad publicity in the public word-o-mouth channels won't help the attractions longevity.
The public will get over it. People die on amusement park rides all the time, people freak out for a few weeks, and forget. I would say the death on Big Thunder in 2003 at Disneyland made me far more concerned than this death, and its lines were at normal levels last summer when I went. Mission: SPACE isn't going anywhere.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
A little off topic but I keep hearing about short wait times on M:S space and how this translates into no one wanting to ride it. If memory serves me correctly the M:S rides system has one of the highest guest per hour rates of any ride at Epcot. Couple that with very few breakdowns couldn't this be the reason for short lines?

GothMickey

hardcard said:
Wow.. how polite.. Would it suit you to know that I'm not living in a FEMA trailer down here?... WOW.. I actually picked MYSELF up and fixed things in my home without Habitat for humantity?

Sometimes the maturity level in WDWMagic surprises me.

Tell me this, would you joke that much about sept 11? Once all the 'missing persons' are done being 'declared dead without body' the count will surpass that of Sept 11th... let me know when it stops being less tragic then that..

Moreover, you live in Denver do you? Gee, shouldn't you leave? Lots of snowfall there that causes deaths and accidents constantly during the harsh winter..

Did you expect anything less then that? There have been too many insensitive comments from people on here regarding the two deaths associated with this ride and now they pick on New Orleans.. The mentality here is immature at best.

MJL

Master Yoda said:
A little off topic but I keep hearing about short wait times on M:S space and how this translates into no one wanting to ride it. If memory serves me correctly the M:S rides system has one of the highest guest per hour rates of any ride at Epcot. Couple that with very few breakdowns couldn't this be the reason for short lines?

This is simply people making excuses for short wait times .. lets get serious here. Ive been to Disney 5 times in the last 18 months .. not ONCE was there more than a 20 minute line, and most of the time if was a 5 minute wait. Yeah sure during busy times there may be a longer wait, but I guarantee you that Soarin and Test Track has triple the wait ... that doesnt bode well

GothMickey

Every time I go, even during slow times, Soaring and Test Track were way over 100 minutes with extremely long lines.. I do not care how much of a people eater it is.. It isn;t much more of a people eater than any other ride and the wait times were always 10 minutes or less.... M:S isn't as popular as people think it is...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
MJL said:
This is simply people making excuses for short wait times .. lets get serious here. Ive been to Disney 5 times in the last 18 months .. not ONCE was there more than a 20 minute line, and most of the time if was a 5 minute wait. Yeah sure during busy times there may be a longer wait, but I guarantee you that Soarin and Test Track has triple the wait ... that doesnt bode well

GothMickey said:
Every time I go, even during slow times, Soaring and Test Track were way over 100 minutes with extremely long lines.. I do not care how much of a people eater it is.. It isn;t much more of a people eater than any other ride and the wait times were always 10 minutes or less.... M:S isn't as popular as people think it is...
What I would really like are numbers..not opinions.

Face it if M:S moves 3000 guests per hour and TT only moves 1000 then it would make sense for the lines to be three times as long. Also there is another factor to consider when you compare M:S to TT or Soarin. M:S is a big time thrill ride, TT and Soarin IMHO barely qualify. With that being said both TT and Soarin have a larger guest base to pull riders from.

MJL

Master Yoda said:

Face it if M:S moves 3000 guests per hour and TT only moves 1000 then it would make sense for the lines to be three times as long. Also there is another factor to consider when you compare M:S to TT or Soarin. M:S is a big time thrill ride, TT and Soarin IMHO barely qualify. With that being said both TT and Soarin have a larger guest base to pull riders from.

What kind of numbers do you want? Disney doesnt publish any numbers that I am aware of that would support either side.

All we can rely on is anecdotal evidence at this point. And dont you think that even if the capacity.throughput numbers are correct, that Disney expected them to need this throughput (otherwise why would they build it that high of a capacity)?? Judging by the wait I have seen and heard most others talk about, the attendance is disappointing.

MickeyTigg

MJL said:

Yeah...why let facts get in the way of an opinion.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
MJL said:
What kind of numbers do you want? Disney doesnt publish any numbers that I am aware of that would support either side.

All we can rely on is anecdotal evidence at this point. And dont you think that even if the capacity.throughput numbers are correct, that Disney expected them to need this throughput (otherwise why would they build it that high of a capacity)?? Judging by the wait I have seen and heard most others talk about, the attendance is disappointing.
Riders per hour. Why Disney might not publish then I know they always seem to surface during ride construction so they can't be all that secret.

GothMickey

Master Yoda said:

Where des it state anywhere that M:S serves 3000 guests an hour as per 1000 for TT and Soarin???? I am not doubting you, I just want to see official numbers and not made up ones...

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Master Yoda said:

Face it if M:S moves 3000 guests per hour and TT only moves 1000 then it would make sense for the lines to be three times as long.

The magic number for Space was posted earlier in the thread. Test Track's I can't personally vouch for, but from what I've heard, it really isn't as far off from Space's as many people would like to believe.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
GothMickey said:
Where des it state anywhere that M:S serves 3000 guests an hour as per 1000 for TT and Soarin???? I am not doubting you, I just want to see official numbers and not made up ones...
It was an example not the actual numbers. I asked if anyone had the actual numbers so I could compare the guest per hour numbers to the wait times. I could then arrive at a ratio where we could more accurately relate wait time to the actual number of guests riding the attraction.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
MrNonacho said:
The magic number for Space was posted earlier in the thread. Test Track's I can't personally vouch for, but from what I've heard, it really isn't as far off from Space's as many people would like to believe.
What would be great is to have the total number of guests per day vs. just the theoretical numbers used to determing guest capicity. (ie 6 guest per car, so many cars per hour.) This would eleviate the variables such as as less than full ride vehicles, attraction breakdowns etc.

GothMickey

Master Yoda said:
It was an example not the actual numbers. I asked if anyone had the actual numbers so I could compare the guest per hour numbers to the wait times. I could then arrive at a ratio where we could more accurately relate wait time to the actual number of guests riding the attraction.

Ok, so then you assume it moves more per hour than TT or Soarin.. I see.. An argument based on assumption... So, i guess I do not have to FACE IT that M:S moves more guests per hour...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
GothMickey said:
Ok, so then you assume it moves more per hour than TT or Soarin.. I see.. An argument based on assumption... So, i guess I do not have to FACE IT that M:S moves more guests per hour...
Oh for the love of Christ! There was no argument from me! :brick:

I really don't care if people like, dislike, or want M:S burned to the ground. I have no concern in some members agenda to have M:S torn down at all costs.

I just wanted to know what the guest per hour numbers were so I could determine for myself if the comparing wait times that has been continually coming up in these M:S threads was an apples to apples comparison. If the guests per hour rates were disparagingly different then it would not be an accurate comparison. That is all I wanted to know. I honestly don't care about the whole "M:S is the worst ride at WDW" "M:S is a death trap" argument that has been going on around here for nearly a year.

GothMickey

Master Yoda said:
Oh for the love of Christ! There was no argument from me! :brick:

I really don't care if people like, dislike, or want M:S burned to the ground. I have no concern in some members agenda to have M:S torn down at all costs.

I just wanted to know what the guest per hour numbers were so I could determine for myself if the comparing wait times that has been continually coming up in these M:S threads was an apples to apples comparison. If the guests per hour rates were disparagingly different then it would not be an accurate comparison. That is all I wanted to know. I honestly don't care about the whole "M:S is the worst ride at WDW" "M:S is a death trap" argument that has been going on around here for nearly a year.

I want actual numbers too... I refrain from posting made up numbers trying to prove a point, which, in all due respect, you did...

And why, right way, someone has to be on an agenda to get a ride closed when they disagree with you and the ride?? Again, if I was on some massive agenda, would I be on posting my feelings for M:S?? No.. I would be starting websites, I would be taking my fight to the media.. I would be taking my fight to the public to try to gain support... I would take my fight to Disney/HP/NASA.. I would be wasting my time actually.... I personally do not care if they keep M:S open or not... I just hope there are no more casualties associated with the ride.... heck, I hope there are no casualties associated with any ride....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom