Extinct Attractions Poll

Which extinct attraction(s) would you want to return?

• Total voters

N2dru

How about Delta's Dreamflight/If You Had Wings?? Never rode IYHW but have seen videos. Dreamflight later Take Flight was cool when I was younger.

Walt Disney1955

I picked Mr. Toad, Great Movie Ride, Snow White and Maelstrom.

Look, WDW is gigantic. There is no reason all of these couldn't have stayed put. Name another attraction in the world other than GMR where you can see animatronics re-enact scenes from classic movies. Maelstrom AND Frozen could have had a place in Norway. Snow White AND the Mine Train could have co-existed. Mr. Toad and Pooh could have found room in Fantasyland.

GiantAlbion

20,000 Leagues was my favorite ride at Magic Kingdom, but I also love the Fantasyland expansion, so that would be a hard call for me to make.

The Epcot stuff is easy because I think Test Track and Mission Space are terrible. I like the Frozen ride, but Maelstrom was better. They should have thrown a tiny little Olaf into the background and called it a day.

GiantAlbion

I want to know how many of those 98 people actually rode Horizons. It's like everyone I know over 60 who claims to have been at Judy Garland's Carnegie Hall show, or seen Carrie: The Musical on Broadway. For the latter, it'd still be running today.

I rode Horizons many times. It was my favorite ride at Epcot, just barely edging out Imagination. However, with the rather mythical reputation it has now, I would imagine those who have never ridden it would be even more eager to see it return.

Now, if Disney wants to replace the Beauty and the Beast stage show with a Carrie: The Musical show, I think we'd all be a bit more content with the eventual erosion of the parks as we remember them.

geekza

It's like everyone I know over 60 who claims to have been at Judy Garland's Carnegie Hall show, or seen Carrie: The Musical on Broadway.
I didn't see it live, but I did watch a bootleg video of it. It was... different. Some of the music was nice.

To your point, though, Horizons was around for a number of years in a park visited by millions, so on a message board for Disney park fans, I'd say the chances are pretty good that the majority of respondents who picked Horizons actually rode it.

correcaminos

How about Delta's Dreamflight/If You Had Wings?? Never rode IYHW but have seen videos. Dreamflight later Take Flight was cool when I was younger.
Eek, sorry pass on that. Wasn't good and didn't miss it at all.

I want to know how many of those 98 people actually rode Horizons. It's like everyone I know over 60 who claims to have been at Judy Garland's Carnegie Hall show, or seen Carrie: The Musical on Broadway. For the latter, it'd still be running today.

I sure did, and more than once too. Hope you're not implying only old people rode it. I don't think of myself as old, just had my first trip in '82 and first Epcot in '83

Original Journey into Imagination. I can dream......

But I'd really like a Snow White's Adventures with up-to-date technology. Not that I'd go on it with my eyes open considering I'm an enormous wuss.

yaksplat

I'd add one that isn't a ride: The Penny Arcade. I know some of the machines are still lurking about, but they're spread out and, from what I've gathered, aren't in the best shape. I know that, as a kid who was in the first generation that grew up with videogames, those old amusement machines were fascinating to me. I think that today's kids might find them interesting as well. I know it will never happen, mostly because I'm sure it has become more and more difficult to find ways to repair the machines once a part fails. Still, it was something that made Main Street special and cool. Disneyland still has theirs, so they must at least have some source of parts and maintenance know-how.
I'm with you on this one. I spent as long as I could in the penny arcade. It was a one of a kind place that will never return. It's a shame that it was replace with some retail that mirrors so many other locations.

geekza

But I'd really like a Snow White's Adventures with up-to-date technology. Not that I'd go on it with my eyes open considering I'm an enormous wuss.
You are most definitely *not* a wuss. That ride scared the behoozus out of me as a kid. After the first bit where the queen is looking in the mirror and whips around and is the crone, I started screaming and closed my eyes and plugged my ears for the rest of the ride. Before you make fun of me, my older brother told me while we were in line that the witch actually jumped on your car and grabbed at you. Then, when I freaked out and closed my eyes on the ride, he proceeded to paw at me throughout the rest of the ride, making me think it was the witch. I was literally in tears by the end. When I rode it again a few years later, I figured out my brother's ruse and was ticked. I confronted him about it and he laughed his behind off. Lesson: Older brothers suck.

Dory71

I voted for Great Movie Ride and Other (Animation Classes where Launch Bay is currently). I guess I really liked HS when it centered around movies and how they are made.

KikoKea

Horizons and Maelstrom. Horizons fascinated me during our one trip as a kid. And Maelstrom....how can you go wrong with trolls, a brush with death at a waterfall, and a stormy sea complete with oil rig?!
I would love to see Kitchen Kabaret again- that would bring back fun memories with my 2 boys.

MissM

You definitely don't have to be over 60 to have ridden or enjoyed Horizons. I'm 41 and have been going to WDW since 1984 and I rode it many, many times. *shrugs*

geekza

Oh, I wasn't applying that to Horizons. Just that most of the people who talk about the Judy show or Carrie show are old queens. :)
Or guys who've had to spend their entire lives explaining that, yes, they got a Theatre degree; yes, they love musicals and Judy Garland; and no, they're not gay. (Not that I know anyone like that. it's me.)

donsullivan

Premium Member
I know this is heresy, but I'm okay with all of those listed being gone now. I had the opportunity to experience all of them and watched them run their course in popularity over time. The one I never had the opportunity to experience that I wish I had was the Mickey Mouse Review. It closed and moved to Tokyo less than a year before my very first visit to Walt Disney World so I never got to experience it. I also understand that the pacing of a show like that would never be popular today so it wouldn't make sense. It's a good thing we now have YouTube so I can at least experience it that way.

polynesiangirl

GMR definitely had lost some of the luster over the years, but I always liked it, and it's a sentimental favorite because it's been my dad's favorite ride for years, so it always reminds me of going as a kid. (I was sad to tell him it was a goner!) I'm glad my kids got to go on it.

In general, while I'm always sad to see a favorite go, I'm OK -- overall -- with things being closed to make room for new experiences. The replacements for all of these have been a mixed bag for me, to be sure, though. :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom