Extinct Attractions Poll

Which extinct attraction(s) would you want to return?

• Total voters

MickeyMinnieMom

Huh. There's always talk about all of the attractions that have closed over the years and how bad that is. Looking at this list, there are really only one or two that I'd want back. And I'm really looking forward to all of the new stuff coming on line over the next few years.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
My vote is with "Other". Albeit Horizons, Toad, WoM, and GMR are great candidates - I'm casting my lot with Adventures Club and River Country. I always viewed AC as an attraction - and RC, although a park unto it self, did have some great attractions (White Water Rapids and Whoop N Holler)

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
I miss America Sings. I start singing Yankee Doodle everytime I ride Splash Mountain and see the repurposed AA’s. My kids think I am nuts.

justintheharris

Maybe it's because I just know it's far more likely than any of the options in the poll but Soarin' Over California is my vote. The new Soarin is a totally different ride in my eyes and I hate it more than anything else on Disney property. Not because it's necessarily a bad ride (although it went from one of the best rides in the resort to a "do it if you have time" thing) but because it ruined just about every element that was great about the original Soarin.

Inspired Figment

How in the world could you forget the Original Journey Into Imagination with Dreamfinder & Figment?! That ride was the greatest! And I *desperately* hope it can be restored back to it’s former glory again with tech and effect upgrades... or if that truly cant happen, a new ride with elements from both the original ride and the comics keeping the same message and spirit about the creative process, all the fields that push our imaginations to it’s highest potential, and what that can lead to in our lives. The simple message that imagination is something that belongs to all of us. With all the recent push of Figment & Dreamfinder in new merchandise and annual EPCOT events, it seems somewhat likely. I’m trying not to get my hopes up.. but that’s the *one* ride I desperately want to experience in it’s proper form in person someday. That message and characters are truly timeless. Unlike all the other old EPCOT rides, it didn’t rely on a futuristic, evolutionary, or technology based narrative. It was simply imagination and creativity, which is something that is still just as relevant today as it was back then . :

Last edited:

TwilightZone

Imagine what they could have done with the updates Disneyland used on the Submarine Voyage. Disneyland added glass panels where they display the projections on dry scenes. Imagine the advanced Sea Serpent and Squid animatronics they could do today since they’d be dry.

Then again, Disneyland themselves have opted to use super outdated projections on their subs anyways, so I doubt TDO would have done anything different. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Alantean encounter is the dream

Yellow Shoes

Ellen's Energy was a bit lame and slow, but it has a soft spot in my heart.
When my son was 5 years old, he was obsessed with dinosaurs, to the point that he told us he wanted to be a substitute paleontologist when he grew up. We even had to call him "Paley" for a while.

When he first saw those dinosaurs---the look on this face.....
You know that look and how it melts your heart when your child gets a taste of Disney magic.

(plus--it was 45 minutes of dark and a/c--never a bad thing in Florida)

geekza

Winnie the Pooh is the better Disney film, and by focusing only on Blustery Day, it lends itself well to the dark ride format.
It depends. There were some stinkers in the batch. Blustery Day wasn't one of them, though. Pretty much any of them starting with Day for Eeyore aren't great. I think if Wind in the Willows had as much exposure as Pooh it might have a better modern representation. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mister Toad is severely underrated. While it suffers from being one of the package films, both segments are strong. I think the Sleepy Hollow segment has fared better with the public over the years, certainly.

I totally agree with your point, though. It isn't popular to say so, but I think the Pooh ride is a much better overall experience than Toad was. I enjoyed Toad, but it was definitely not a top-tier attraction as far as execution. It would have been interesting to have seen it updated with actual figures and scenes, rather than painted flats. The Alice ride in DL started off as mostly flats and has been successfully updated with new figures and projection tech that really brings new life to it whilst keeping the charm of the original.

SSE_King

Original Poster
Glad to see Horizons doing so well in the poll. It really was a one-of-a-kind ride and it pains me still to this day that it's no longer at Epcot. I have such great memories of this ride - the best memory being when my sister and I went on it about 5 times in a row at the end of the day at Epcot, when there was literally no wait.

It also makes me sad Disney doesn't make attractions like Horizons anymore. Every new attraction now is based on some existing IP, but Horizons was such a unique, original creation you couldn't find anywhere else in the world. The soundtrack, the effects, the animatronics, the choose-your-own ending - everything was so unique and perfect.

correcaminos

Horizons was a good ride and quite interesting. I'd love to see it come back.

I though Alien Encounter was very well done. It was only disliked for how scary it was. I thought it was hilarious and wonderful. Bring it back and lose Stitch forever.

Maelstrom isn't about nostalgia for me, but about how they brought in an IP that isn't even related to Norway legitimately. I'm still annoyed with that. Like Ratatouille doesn't bug me because it is in France. Frozen might be Norway like, but it is not Norway.

Studio Back Lot tour because to me that was the last real ride that truly was about it being a Studio there.

I also have Other. The Wonders of Life pavilion was such a loss as a whole.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom