News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

SeaCastle

Figures I'm a day late and a dollar short to all the drama. Just to help make sure it doesn't get buried and ignored in all of this mess is Kevin Yee's post, which puts a lot of that "article" into doubt:

It's a non-denial denial. The only thing he disputes with any kind of definitiveness is that Al Lutz didn't write for Miceage during the SaveDisney years, which given that one of the main contentions of the article is that Al Lutz is not Al Lutz is not so much in dispute because "Al Lutz" is writing it anyway.

It was all Al during those SaveDisney years, and he was nowhere close to co-opted by corporate. As noted above, his sources could have included Iger, sure. He could have promoted Iger over others, sure. But nowhere close to what you see with Influencers these days taking handouts and writing "reviews." Al was never comped into anything.

I can't find in the article where it says Al was comped into anything, so why bring that up. More importantly, he didn't need to be- by all accounts the real Al was unable to do it, so Al or whoever is writing as him could just be fed takes and tidbits.
Kevin doesn't even dispute that Iger and others were sources and that whoever was portraying Al could have promoted those folks. Al doesn't have to be co-opted if he happens to already be towing the line. Kevin's post is far from any kind of categorical denial, if anything it affirms key aspects of it by saying that repetitive writing tics are definitive evidence that Al is Al. And again, that is hardly evidence because any PR person/copy writer worth their salt certainly has the writing skills to ventriloquize someone's writing voice- particularly for which a long and accessible track record of writing is already available.

Also, I don't get the fixation on this common thread of making fun of Zenia Mucha's name as somehow being exculpating for being someone friendly with her. The way that tidbit is invoked makes it seem like a secret handshake.

Frank the Tank

I was told unsolicited that opinion pieces I wrote angered Imagineers and Executives. Understanding that's only anecdotal, I am operating under the assumption that people with more cache than myself have put out stuff that has upset people far more than my criticizing Next Gen and Epcot's direction.

I also think it's a function of not being able to steer the message which cannot be dismissed. @WDW1974 would regularly put it out there that Disney would allow their "paid schills" to badmouth select projects as a means of maintaining optics.

Yes, in my personal experience in a different realm (writing about the college sports business and specifically conference realignment over the past decade) is that well thought out forums and blogs that focus on the “inside baseball” can legitimately get the attention of the powers that be.

When conference realignment started kicking around as a news story with the Big Ten announcing that it wanted to expand about a decade ago, I got really frustrated with the sports journalists and columnists that either didn’t understand the multi-faceted long-term financial, TV contract, academic and branding issues involved or, even worse, simply didn’t want to and just wished the story would go away so that they could go back and focus on game stories and the next recruiting classes.

So, I ended up writing about it myself and applied my own analysis based on what I thought the Big Ten’s criteria would be and then evaluated several schools using an index system. One factor that I thought nearly every journalist was missing at the time was that expansion was going to be driven by adding households for the Big Ten Network (along with increasing rights fees from ESPN/Disney) as much as anything else and that the whole point of the exercise was for the league to get *out* of the Midwest... and I emphasized that heavily in the analysis.

I had no inside information, but I wrote it like a legitimate business case combined with a fair amount of pop culture references thrown in (as I know full well that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, so the speak). My side hobby sports blog that basically had my friends and family for readers previously suddenly blew up with tens of thousands of readers overnight since it was getting passed around on college sports message boards and blogs across the country. Then, it started getting posted on places like Deadspin and mainstream media outlets. So, I kept on writing on the subject more and the popularity of the blog kept snowballing for the next few years while conference realignment was a major story. (It has died down quite a bit over the past few years, so I don’t write very much any more.)

I thought my writing was all largely for the enjoyment of my readers and, frankly, myself, but then one of the major newspaper journalists covering the conference realignment reached out to me. That journalist said that he/she enjoyed my work a lot, but more importantly, the commissioners of the Big Ten and other power conferences read my work, too. In fact, that journalist said that the Big Ten in particular had several people in their office that would research blogs and discussion forums and provide copies of key pieces and opinions to top executives on a daily basis. A separate mainstream journalist independently stated the same thing to me and that my blog came up in conference emails that were obtained FOIA requests (as they involved public university officials).

The point is that if the Big Ten assigned multiple people to review fan sites (even those without any inside information, much less those that provided leaks) and passed them to the very top of the food chain daily, then you can be sure that Disney does the same thing and probably even more intensively on a wider basis (particularly on a forum like this one where we are legitimately interested in discussing the “inside baseball” and decision-making process of TWDC as opposed to just fan opinions and trip ideas that can be found in a lot of other places).

I also know what it’s like to start getting information from insiders (and many, many, many people who claimed to be insiders but had nothing) since I suddenly had a platform. I’ll just say that you have to do a lot of work to sift through the legitimate insiders with truthful information and the ones that were looking to push personal agendas and actively spread misleading info and/or outright lies. I could go on and on about this, but I’ll stop there for now.

Last edited:

MKCP 1985

Guys, there have always been people on these forums with multiple accounts. It has been an issue at times when the person does something to earn a ban and then rooting out the duplicate accounts is like pulling weeds.

Why do it? Several reasons including (1) creating an illusion that your posts are enthusiastically supported by others in the online community; (2) lurking while logged in without being observed; (3) protection against being locked out if a post gets you banned; and (4) ego/just to get away with it. There are no doubt other reasons to create duplicate accounts.

This has certainly been an interesting read. Someone might profit to write a short novel about the corporate subterfuge when it all shakes out. I’ve seen some names bandied about in this thread I haven’t heard in years!

Last edited:

RobbinsDad

Ignore it. I'm sure not more than 23.4% of the board is paid shills. Plus, what's the worst that could happen? I mean there was the time Meg Crofton tried to poison my Coca Cola and I wind up fighting for my life in the middle of the Sassagoula River with a couple of guys known around the company as "The Henchmen". Luckily, I remembered to do my stretching that morning, so I was somewhat limber and avoided middle aged man back pain as I dodged shiv after shiv whilst nimbly confusing the blood aroused bull shark and making my get away. But, that literally was the worst thing that ever happened to me based on my criticisms being reported to the company by the employees on this site. Plus, after surviving, someone felt kind of bad and I got a Dinosaur fastpass and a free premium Mickey bar in exchange for not mentioning that literally none of the effects were working.
Ahh Maestro. I'm in tears. :hilarious:

The Mom

Premium Member
Guys, there have always been people on these forums with multiple accounts. It has been an issue at time when the person does something to earn a ban and then rooting out the duplicate accounts is like pulling weeds.

Why to do it? Several reasons including (1) creating an illusion that your posts are enthusiastically supported by others in the online community; (2) lurking while logged in without being observed; (3) protection against being locked out if a post gets you banned; and (4) ego/just to get away with it. There are no doubt other reasons to create duplicate accounts.

This has certainly been an interesting read. Someone might profit to write a short novel about the corporate subterfuge when it all shakes out. I’ve seen some names bandied about in this thread I haven’t heard in years!
Other

Sometimes people don't post for years, or at all, and forget that they had an old account, or have forgotten passwords, etc so create a new account. But others have duplicate accounts because they're trouble makers. ;)

RSoxNo1

TP2000 didn't jump on immediately he was lurking for hours intermittently and only appeared when people goaded him to, and then he came up with a story denying it all and then another user outed him as a being a fraud and WDC employee and his recent messages are telling people to essentially 'move on and forget about it all'.
With all due respect, if someone accused me of corporate espionage I'd take more time to respond than he did.

RSoxNo1

I subscribe to the theory that Dreamfinder and 74 are brothers.

Suggesting they are literally the same person makes @wdwmagic look either clueless or ambivalent about someone pretending to be two people on his site for years, which is not flattering and only feeds the desire of the ECardonWalker twitter account (itself looking for attention) to rile things up.
Well that's a question that @wdwmagic should be able to answer by looking at IP addresses... I'm not asking you to expose identities Steve, but I think given the circumstances it's a reasonable request to see if @WDW1974 and @the.dreamfinder ever shared an IP address.

photomatt

Well, him and the individual (@photomatt) that extorted him on these boards and then did a 180 a few hours later...

Extortion is the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats. I threatened no one, and I in no way insinuated the use of force. I gave another member the opportunity to modify a previous post. I advised them that they should do it, and I gave them a timeline.

The member refused the opportunity I gave them, and then they asked me to post the information I had, which I did.

Get your facts straight. No part of that is extortion, and you really need to knock off your nonsense.

photomatt

It was a threat whether you think it was or not.

A threat is a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done.

Is asking someone to revise a previous post a threat? No.

Is advising someone that they should modify a previous post a threat? No.

Is providing a timeline a threat? No.

If you are going to continue spouting your nonsense then at least take the time to back it up with facts. A fact is a fact regardless of whether or not you accept it.

RSoxNo1

Extortion is the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats. I threatened no one, and I in no way insinuated the use of force. I gave another member the opportunity to modify a previous post. I advised them that they should do it, and I gave them a timeline.

No part of that is extortion, and you really need to knock off your nonsense.
We're arguing semantics here, but your post read as a threat primarily because you presented an ultimatum and a timeline for him to take action. While you didn't suggest the consequences there was a clear implication that whatever you wanted him to clear up would be explained by you at that time.

I took a screenshot of the now deleted post but will refrain from reposting it here because the semantics behind whether or not it was a threat are less relevant now. The greater point here that you may be able to help figure out / provide insight into all of this. Clearly something changed in the hours between your post and your retraction. Can you shed any light on that? Did you learn something about a source used in the article that caused you to question the information?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Guys, there have always been people on these forums with multiple accounts. It has been an issue at times when the person does something to earn a ban and then rooting out the duplicate accounts is like pulling weeds.

Why do it? Several reasons including (1) creating an illusion that your posts are enthusiastically supported by others in the online community; (2) lurking while logged in without being observed; (3) protection against being locked out if a post gets you banned; and (4) ego/just to get away with it. There are no doubt other reasons to create duplicate accounts.

Nice to see you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom