News Exploratory geotechnical borings for new Epcot retention pond suggest new projects are in the works

bclane

From the parking lot, the gravity building will be giant block off to the left as visible as the FoP building entering the parking lot at DAK. But, once in the park, you'll only catch glimpses of its top over the treeline and other buildings, just like the buildings of FW seen from WS.

If they build two or more resorts near the Epcot front gate (or over it!), well, that will be much more noticeable and there's a good chance that one of them will block the view of the gravity building... unless you're in the resort itself and looking out the window. As much as the FW pavilions were built to be seen from all sides originally, there's quite a bit of backstage additions and staging and utility buildings that have gone up spoiling that view from the backside.

1 - UoE
2 - Orange line is a guess at the top of the connector corridor to the Gravity Building
3 - Go-away-green Gravity Building over WoL
4 - hulking silver/grey Test Track building... from this perspective the Space Restaurant is hidden by it, but if you go a bit higher, or they build it taller than the Space pavilion, it will be seen over the Test Track building
5 - Mexico angry that some non-WS buildings are destroying pristine sightlines and the theme of being in eleven countries all squashed around a lake

View attachment 239233
That does create a problem for Mexico. I wonder if anyone has ever thought of building a wall along the border that separates Mexico from the rest of the...oh wait, nevermind.

deWild

That does create a problem for Mexico. I wonder if anyone has ever thought of building a wall along the border that separates Mexico from the rest of the...oh wait, nevermind.

A certain Korean country should have a pavilion across the lake from Mexico, and every night there should be a firework rocket that blows the wall down as part of Illuminations.

bclane

A certain Korean country should have a pavilion across the lake from Mexico, and every night there should be a firework rocket that blows the wall down as part of Illuminations.
Ah, so many political jokes pop into head related to WS and what could be done in a nighttime show. Biting my tongue, biting my tongue... lol!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
For a first timer to DLP, would you recommend DLH, then either Newport/Sequoia as being the best option?
DLH if you're rich!

Sequoia is slightly cheaper than Newport, if that's not a factor it would be down to personal preference. Be aware at Sequoia the cheaper Montana rooms are in forest lodges, not the main building (a bit like Poly buildings) if that's a concern.

the.dreamfinder

No, there were two highest and most suitable areas for large development. The MK area was one, the city of LBV was the other.

Outside of that you move down the suitability list until you get to unsuitable.
Was there ever any talk internally of expanding the property over the years?

Viget

I have read the contract a number of time and it still seems to be a grey area to me. If Disney was free to do stuff in the resorts I am not sure why they haven't taken advantage of that yet by build M&G's or character meals with the Marvel characters.

I agree, it all depends on what the definition of a "Marvel Action Universe" is. For example, is a hotel M&G considered a "action universe" especially if it's not a permanent thing? The contract clearly seems to spell out that an arcade or VR-type area (a la Disneyquest) is an action universe.

Also, there is some language in the contract that specifically says a hotel is not considered a "theme park" or a "themed entertainment area" for purposes of Universal exclusivity. So, depending on how you want to stretch it, I think a Disney360 hotel themed to the Avengers could be a thing as long as it wasn't physically connected to the park (and as long as it doesn't have an arcade or any VR attractions!).

Clearly this would require some litigation to settle for sure, so I think that's why Disney hasn't done it yet. I could maybe see them trying to get an amendment to the contract to specifically allow this sort of thing in exchange for maybe updating the looks of the IOA characters, or maybe serving as a consultant for an Avengers ride for Universal. But then again, maybe Comcast really wants to play hardball on this.

dreamscometrue

From the parking lot, the gravity building will be giant block off to the left as visible as the FoP building entering the parking lot at DAK. But, once in the park, you'll only catch glimpses of its top over the treeline and other buildings, just like the buildings of FW seen from WS.

If they build two or more resorts near the Epcot front gate (or over it!), well, that will be much more noticeable and there's a good chance that one of them will block the view of the gravity building... unless you're in the resort itself and looking out the window. As much as the FW pavilions were built to be seen from all sides originally, there's quite a bit of backstage additions and staging and utility buildings that have gone up spoiling that view from the backside.

1 - UoE
2 - Orange line is a guess at the top of the connector corridor to the Gravity Building
3 - Go-away-green Gravity Building over WoL
4 - hulking silver/grey Test Track building... from this perspective the Space Restaurant is hidden by it, but if you go a bit higher, or they build it taller than the Space pavilion, it will be seen over the Test Track building
5 - Mexico angry that some non-WS buildings are destroying pristine sightlines and the theme of being in eleven countries all squashed around a lake

View attachment 239233
Between SSE and your #1, it looks like floating mountains. For a minute, I thought you were proposing Pandoracot.

brb1006

If the Epcot Entrance Resort were to get an IP, it should have something to do with hospitality and welcoming guests, as to a great feast... can't think of anything that fits.
Journey Into Imagination themed based on the building design of the original. Something like this would be welcomed.
400px-ImaginationConcept2.jpg

Last edited:

FigmentForver96

The theme clearly needs to be on the IPs that help guest go deep into the worlds of wonder of Epcot! So a Guardians wing for energy, Inside Out for Imagination (Cause Figment is just not going to cut it for a hotel!), Nemo for the seas and even throw in Cars for Test Track cause we have to cater to the young boys!!!

I'm going to go throw up now

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom