Expedition Everest's Devil's Advocate

Scott M

Original Poster
I've been hearing some unexpected feedback from friends and family that have recently returned from WDW and have experienced Expedition Everest.

Before I get to that, I should qualify myself as someone who has not yet experienced the attraction, but can not wait to do so. I have no plans of traveling to WDW any time soon, but I am very much looking forward to Expedition Everest.

In any event, those that I know who have experienced the attraction are painting a different picture than what I am expecting. Granted, these family, friends, and co-workers are not die-hard Disney fanatics, but they do vacation to WDW on an average of every 2 years or so, so they certainly do not dislike WDW.

Here's my point: These people are not impressed at all with Expedition Everest. In fact, I have yet to hear anyone tell me that it is even close to a great ride. I'm hearing phrases such as "too boring", "too slow", "not worth the wait", and so on.

I am still anxiously awaiting my own experience, and I'm certain that I will not be disappointed. But are the majority of us on this Forum, myself included, looking at Disney through rose-colored glasses? Has anyone else experienced similar feedback from others?

Scott

GothMickey

Scott M said:
I've been hearing some unexpected feedback from friends and family that have recently returned from WDW and have experienced Expedition Everest.

Before I get to that, I should qualify myself as someone who has not yet experienced the attraction, but can not wait to do so. I have no plans of traveling to WDW any time soon, but I am very much looking forward to Expedition Everest.

In any event, those that I know who have experienced the attraction are painting a different picture than what I am expecting. Granted, these family, friends, and co-workers are not die-hard Disney fanatics, but they do vacation to WDW on an average of every 2 years or so, so they certainly do not dislike WDW.

Here's my point: These people are not impressed at all with Expedition Everest. In fact, I have yet to hear anyone tell me that it is even close to a great ride. I'm hearing phrases such as "too boring", "too slow", "not worth the wait", and so on.

I am still anxiously awaiting my own experience, and I'm certain that I will not be disappointed. But are the majority of us on this Forum, myself included, looking at Disney through rose-colored glasses? Has anyone else experienced similar feedback from others?

Scott

Disney cannot please everyone... My advice to them: If it is not worth, then do'nt go on.. less people I have to worry about then when I go on it...

SpongeScott

Scott M said:

Scott
Other than people who haven't ridden it yet, I've not heard anything negative. Granted, it may not be the fastest, wildest, tallest coaster in the world, but it's the experience and story of the whole thing that makes it good. I, everyone in my family, and people I have talked to that have ridden it thought it was a great ride.

To each his own. Ride for yourself and decide.

EpcotServo

How can it be "too slow"? It goes 50mph! I hang around EE all day and hear nothing but "That was great!" and "Let's do that again!" and sometimes "That Yeti scared the heck out of me!". I've even asked some guests that got off what they thought've it, and not one said they didn't like it. glowing reviews all around.

Jekyll Baker

Personally, I loved E:E - I think it's a great coaster. I even rode it 3 times in a row (using Single-rider line) as did another family that was behind me in the stand-by line my first time thru.

peter11435

SpongeScott said:
Other than people who haven't ridden it yet, I've not heard anything negative. Granted, it may not be the fastest, wildest, tallest coaster in the world, but it's the experience and story of the whole thing that makes it good. I, everyone in my family, and people I have talked to that have ridden it thought it was a great ride.

To each his own. Ride for yourself and decide.
My thoughts exactly. The amount of people that I see getting off and getting right back in line along with the hundreds of positive comments I have heard prove that overall guest reaction to EE is extremely positive.

dandaman

EpcotServo said:
How can it be "too slow"? It goes 50mph!

Well... quite a few coasters go more than twice that speed. Maybe they're just comparing it to the colossal thrill rides like Top Thrill Dragster or Kingda Ka?

Fordlover

It is indeed a great ride. I was surprised and impressed with it. Long (relatively) ride time, unexpected twists on the ride, well done scenery, very well themed, I mean, what else could you want. Definitely not the scaryist ride in the world, but scary doesn't always mean good.

AndyMagic

Scott M said:

Scott

This coming from a Disney fan... the ride most certainly is rather boring, slow, and not worth the wait when you consider the 3 years of construction and the amount of money poured into it. I'd say as a whole, the general public will like RnR coaster more than Everest and that cost about half the money, is located in a sound-stage, and was designed by a different company. It's sad but true. Everest is a fine addition but it is a mediocre ride wrapped inside a very pretty package. This is of course all just opinion and the only way to truly judge for youself is to go out there and ride it.

peter11435

AndyMagic said:
This coming from a Disney fan... the ride most certainly is rather boring, slow, and not worth the wait when you consider the 3 years of construction and the amount of money poured into it. I'd say as a whole, the general public will like RnR coaster more than Everest and that cost about half the money, is located in a sound-stage, and was designed by a different company. It's sad but true. Everest is a fine addition but it is a mediocre ride wrapped inside a very pretty package. This is of course all just opinion and the only way to truly judge for youself is to go out there and ride it.
RnR was no more designed by a different company than EE was. The tracks in both cases were designed and built by Vekoma everything else was WDI.

Glasgow

EE - loved it; great theming, new technology, fun
RnRC - loved it; great preshow, fast, dark
RoTM at US - loved it; went on it at night, a little spooky, innovative

I thought EE was a great addition to the park. The theming is meticulous and authentic and the ride was awesome especially on the backwards part (can I say that). Anyway, to each his own

Shaman

Glasgow said:
I thought EE was a great addition to the park. The theming is meticulous and authentic and the ride was awesome especially on the backwards part (can I say that). Anyway, to each his own

Nothing like it in WDW or Central Florida....I loved it...sure it could be better...but that's what the future refurbs are for, right? I mean if it were perfect, it would get boring in ten years...then what?

:lookaroun :D

brkgnews

The issues is that they were probably comparing it to a traditional roller coaster. Folks hear the estimated $100M price tag and are expecting a HUGE mega-uber-hyper-jumbo-coaster. True, with that kind of cash, they could have built a gangster roller coaster, but it would have been completely devoid of any theming. Lots of money goes into the mountain, the yeti, the switching mechanism, and the uber-theming. If folks go there expecting an "attraction," they're bowled over. If they go there expecting a full-fledged coaster, they're bored. My first ride was with a fellow ACE (American Coaster Enthusiasts) member. He was disappointed, saying it wasn't worth the money. Obviously, he was expecting a full coaster, not an "attraction."

Glasgow

brkgnews said:
The issues is that they were probably comparing it to a traditional roller coaster. Folks hear the estimated $100M price tag and are expecting a HUGE mega-uber-hyper-jumbo-coaster. True, with that kind of cash, they could have built a gangster roller coaster, but it would have been completely devoid of any theming. Lots of money goes into the mountain, the yeti, the switching mechanism, and the uber-theming. If folks go there expecting an "attraction," they're bowled over. If they go there expecting a full-fledged coaster, they're bored. My first ride was with a fellow ACE (American Coaster Enthusiasts) member. He was disappointed, saying it wasn't worth the money. Obviously, he was expecting a full coaster, not an "attraction."
PRECISELY -- EE is an attraction, not just a coaster, and I feel it should by viewed as such. If you break it down into parts you may come off disappointed. If you don't like it, don't ride it - just buy something in the gift shop that proves you were there .. :)

Did Knee

I havent rode EE yet, but I think the issue here is the same as with any discussion of Disney vs. other theme parks. There are FAR wilder coasters at some of the competition. If wild roller coasters is what you want, go to Universal or even a Six flags park. What disney does is submerge you in a story. In the case of EE or RNRC the story has a bit of a wild ride in it. Some people just dont get the story part though. You could ask them what the story on the ride was about and they will not be able to tell you in any detail. Often these are the same kinds of personalities that never read novels and talk through TV programs and movies. They aren't stupid, but there is something in their personality makeup that renders them incapable of submersing themselves deep into a story experience. These people seldom "get" what the WDI were trying to get across. I'm not slamming these people, just trying to find a way of saying that the "story" experience is just not their thing.

pintraderpayee

Did Knee said:
I havent rode EE yet, but I think the issue here is the same as with any discussion of Disney vs. other theme parks. There are FAR wilder coasters at some of the competition. If wild roller coasters is what you want, go to Universal or even a Six flags park. What disney does is submerge you in a story. In the case of EE or RNRC the story has a bit of a wild ride in it. Some people just dont get the story part though. You could ask them what the story on the ride was about and they will not be able to tell you in any detail. Often these are the same kinds of personalities that never read novels and talk through TV programs and movies. They aren't stupid, but there is something in their personality makeup that renders them incapable of submersing themselves deep into a story experience. These people seldom "get" what the WDI were trying to get across. I'm not slamming these people, just trying to find a way of saying that the "story" experience is just not their thing.

DITTO!

3 weeks 4 days until the "yellow limo" is ºoºrlando bound (27 teens-school bus-930 miles:sohappy: :hammer: :sohappy: )

imagineersrock

Scott M said:

Scott

Scott, I don't know how you did it... but it seems you have managed to talk to every person that fits into the miniscule percentage of people unhappy with Everest.

My opinion is that it is a beautiful attraction, the ride has the perfect amount of thrill, and the length is just right as well---it left me feeling satisfied with my experience.

As Peter stated:
peter11435 said:
...The amount of people that I see getting off and getting right back in line along with the hundreds of positive comments I have heard prove that overall guest reaction to EE is extremely positive.

I would honestly tell you if I had heard differently, but I have not. I have been on Everest 30 times now, and I am yet to hear my first negative remark. It has been nothing but "WOW!", applause, cheering, and ear-to-ear grins.

...As far as your "rose-colored glasses" remark, I actually feel I am the exact opposite. As a huge Disney fan and Cast Member, I am 10x more critical than any everyday guest. If things are not what they should be I am the first to point it out. In other words, if Disney had really screwed up with this attraction I would be one of the first to report it ---but they didn't. They built a fantastic worth-while addition to the park, and judging by guest feedback, it has become an instant-classic.

:)

peter11435

imagineersrock said:
I would honestly tell you if I had heard differently, but I have not. I have been on Everest 30 times now, and I am yet to hear my first negative remark. It has been nothing but "WOW!", applause, cheering, and ear-to-ear grins.

My experience exactly. I have been on Everest 22 times now and have spent hours outside the attraction. I have yet to hear a single negative comment and have heard tons of positive comments.

imagineersrock said:
...As far as your "rose-colored glasses" remark, I actually feel I am the exact opposite. As a huge Disney fan and Cast Member, I am 10x more critical than any everyday guest. If things are not what they should be I am the first to point it out. In other words, if Disney had really screwed up with this attraction I would be one of the first to report it ---but they didn't. They built a fantastic worth-while addition to the park, and judging by guest feedback, it has become an instant-classic.

:)

Exactly. I'll be the first to tell you about all the problems with Stitch's Great Escape or about the Innoventions sign that hasn't been lit in 6 months. But most of the time Disney gets it right and with EE they have again.

SirGoofy

dandaman said:
Well... quite a few coasters go more than twice that speed. Maybe they're just comparing it to the colossal thrill rides like Top Thrill Dragster or Kingda Ka?

They can't compare it to Kingda Ka, cuz it NEVER works.:fork:

Sorry for the rant. But some of my friends are down there this week and they told me EE was amazing.

1disneydood

If someone wants thrills they go to Cedar Point or Six flags or something. If somebody wants to have a great overall experience and a break from reality, they go to Disney parks. Disney parks are there to comfort us, thrill parks are there to scare us. Apples and Oranges working on completely different emotions. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom