Expedition: EVEREST to open in January

astewart

Was just going to mention that about splash mtn, I got evacuated off it once, and they took us out thru the back! I never really thought about the back side of attractions before that day, It was kind of neat, becuase all that mountian really is, is a building. But you don't really think of it being a building when your are on it

Captain Chaos

I love the way Imagineering hides the buildings with such detailed theme. When you look at satellite photos, it is amazing to see what the show buildings really look like.. Haunted Mansion is a great example.. All you see if the Mansion, you don't see the show building... Would never know it is there if you didn't see the satellite photos.

The_CEO

colliera said:
I was just about to mention that. Has anyone else noticed the back of the mountain. You can only see it well from the parking lot. I noticed it coming in on a Disney bus but couldn't get a shot of it when leaving. The bus took a slightly different route when leaving and there were too many trees in the way, (and my old digital camera is way to sensitive to movement blur). It is a totally flat vertical wall of what appears to be wooden panels.

So I'm wondering, if they intended to finish it out like the front and side of the mountain why wouldn't they be doing that now? I know the policy is to put the money on stage and don't waste it backstage. So would the back of the mountain would be a backstage area? Will they cover this with trees and foliage, (what tree is that high)? Is it more likely it will get a similiar "blue whale" treatment as Soarin' got at EPCOT? Hopefully a certain show designer that is finishing up on the final version of San Franscio Street at Disney Studios will do the painted flats to at least give the illusion of the back side of the mountain. It shouldn't take that much detail as it is only viewable from quite a distance.

So many questions! I wonder what the ladder has to say about all this? (Sorry, couldn't resist - here we go on another ladder thread drift)!

Lets just say, you wouldn't notice that vertical wall on the ride. I'm sure disney will have all areas covered in foliage.

RSoxNo1

I'm sure if that picture was clearer it would look better, but i doubt they'd allow for that much "bad show". You can have rockwork and trees cover most of that up.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I doubt it will be covered with rock work and that would take some pretty huge trees. I'm guessing they will just paint it gray and be done with it. They wouldn't go through the trouble of building that wall there if it weren't going to stay. But, it does look pretty tacky from Blizzard Beach...not tacky enough to pay the millions of dollars it would cost to finish the mountain, though.

PhilharMagician

sackbutt said:
I was there in mid August and Splash Mountain was running. It might have been just a soft opening however.

The track wasn't even in place then. You must be talking about something else and are confused.:veryconfu

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
peter11435 said:
What are you talking about?

I believe Sackbutt (welcome :wave: ) is reffering to the earlier post regarding test and adjust periods. Splash was running with no riders during summer of `92.

sackbutt

Yes, I was refering to the earlier post asking about when Splash opened. I guess I was one of the lucky ones to get an early ride. Anyway I'm planning to be down there around mid February and I'm hoping that my luck will continue and I will get a chance to ride E.E. It looks and sounds like it will be a great family ride. Does anyone know typically how long Disney runs a soft opening? :eek:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It looks like soft openings are unique to each attraction, and even then any `planned` soft openings can change at the last minute. Soarin` case in point. Test and adjust uses SO`s in its later stage for real world testing - if anything major is revealed, all SO`s can stop until the problem is rectified. Or not, in Test Tracks case!

bgraham34

It will be open when it opens. And hopefully early if possible I for one would love to see it happen in December But I highly doubt it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom