Expedition: EVEREST to open in January

askmike1

mraw said:
I keep reading Mission Himalayas... have they changed the surname of the attraction from "Legend of the Forbidden Mountain"? I realize that Maleficent's castle is on Forbidden Mountain, and if they've changed the name, I wonder if it has anything to do with that.
Mission Himalayas, I believe, is the actual mission to Mount Everest disney is making. Disney is sending a group of people to climb Mount Everest to a) publicize the ride and b) try and find the real yeti.

-Michael

mraw

askmike1 said:
Mission Himalayas, I believe, is the actual mission to Mount Everest disney is making. Disney is sending a group of people to climb Mount Everest to a) publicize the ride and b) try and find the real yeti.

-Michael

Cool. Thanks. I guess there are officially two Forbidden Mountains now...

colliera

January is Iffy

So I was out at the EE site taking photos on May 8, '05 and a gentleman and his family was standing next to me. He was telling his family how great the ride would. Thinking he was just a member of the general public and not someone who reads Disney forum boards I volunteered that parts of the ride would go backwards. Well guess who was being a know-it-all here.

Turns out this fellow is part of the construction crew. "Oh yes", he says. "That's in scene five where one of my guy's was working on the torn up tracks. If you look to the peak on the left side you can see where we started sculpting some of the ice, [looks like a blue/white ice cap]. That continues on to scene 7 where the train is reversed again. There is a big room in scene 9 where the snow billows out; it's really huge in there."

He then takes out his digital camera and sure enough there is a shot of someone standing in the middle of track that is looping around in different directions. He also showed me some shots from the peak at sunrise/sunset? "You can easily see the Swan and Dolphin and on some days all the way into Orlando."

OK, he's made me a believer. Someone that actually knows what they are talking about. I pressed, rumor is out for an opening as early as January. What about that?

"It could be possible. By law there has to be six months of ride testing. Normally, we would have added the rock work starting at the top and going down. Any debris from above would be covered as we when down the mountain side. However, by starting at the bottom and working up we finish the lower part where the ride is and can begin testing early while we continue to finish out the top. The ride track itself only reaches to about 100 feet below the top peak. One mistake made is they forgot to figure on the time it will take to remove the pins that stick out all over the mountain that support the scaffolds. When those come out there has to be patching of all the holes that are left. So if we can start testing in August we could meet a January open." So that's why we see blue tarps over the tracks, to protect it from rock work material? "Yea, the concrete is messy. Some of it on the inside is even Saran wrapped."

Ooooh! Juicy info to be sure. How about the Yeti? Seen it yet? "No, it isn't here yet, but I have a photo of the foot print that is part of the mountain."

He when on to explain the way the projects are contracted out. First, Imagineering figures out what it will cost to do the project and puts out a price quotation. Then third-party vendors bid for the project and if they can do it less expensively they are contracted to do the work. If they fall behind schedule Disney takes the project back over with their own people to see that it gets finished. "I don't work for the third-party contractors. I work for the Disney Company. When I started on this there were only 20 on my team. Now there are over 200 of us working on EE."

Interesting stuff hu? Had he not pointed out the blue ice cap to me I would have missed it even though I was trying to get all possible angles. I'm planning on another trip in October/November and then again in January/February so maybe things will progress along enough for an early '06 open. :sohappy:

I was finally able to rescue some damaged images off my flash card and save a shot of the 1st icecap peak discussed above. See the Icecap.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I was wondering if the Imaginers were going to put some type of blowing snow effect in the ride. Glad to know that at least according to your source they will.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
The six month thing is more of a Disney paradigm, but doesn't necessarily have to be followed. For example, with the Space Mountain project at Disneyland, they were able to move the opening back from this fall to this July due to a shortening to the testing period (and overtime work, to be sure, but this was a major cause for the ability to move up). Hopefully, they will alter the time period for EVEREST, too. Look at Six Flags...they most certainly do not test their new rides for 6 months. Often times, they will be finishing up work on a major coaster as late as April, with a May opening. The only real government requirement is that you test the ride enough so that it works well enough to pass inspections. The relatively frantic work to finish the queue, however, would suggest they are nearing completion on the project. I would certainly not be surprised to see the village area open by fall, including the restaurant and gift shop.

By the way, if they open a ride during the summer, there is no real increase in attendance because, as another posted, most tourists plan trips well in advance. It is local travelers that are affected by ride openings, and many of them will avoid the parks during the peak seasons just to avoid the lines, and most that would be willing to show up to wait in the huge line for this ride would have been fine coming to wdw in the summer regardless. During the off season, however, when locals are less hesitant to come to the parks, a heavily-advertized new attraction can certainly attract crowds. If you need proof that Disney likes to open attractions during the off season, look no further than park opening dates. Disneyland opened in the summer, and it was a disaster with the asphalt melting. They had learned their lesson, and had both the Magic Kingdom and Epcot open in October--slow season. Then came MGM, opening in May, between the heavy spring break and summer seasons. Animal Kingdom opened April 22nd, after the heavy spring break season (Easter fell on April 12th that year, so those crowds were long gone). DCA of course opened in February, TDS in September, and WDS in March (incidentally 2 weeks before Easter). Finally, Hong Kong Disneyland opens this September.

To be complete, TDL opened in April, 2 weeks after Easter, and DLP opened in April, as well--perhaps the only exception to my argument, as it opened a week before Easter, though I do not know school break schedules in Europe.

colliera

What is the law?

Yea I wondered about that when he said "by law it had to be tested for 6 months" but I wouldn't have any way of knowing about it specifically. Amusment rides are notorious for not being regulated. Presently in Tennessee there is no legal oversight on fair and park rides. Expositions that do have inspections have to bring them in from out of state. That will change soon as the legislature is addressing that due to a women falling to her death on a ride in Pigeon Forge where the owner is alledged to have wired a bypass to the safety interlock circuit.

Maybe it is part of the Reedy Creek Development District code? Anyone know? Anyway, I would be willing to bet my January trip will be one week short of a soft opening as was my luck with Rock'n'Roller Coaster and Stitch's Great Escape. (Sigh!)

astewart

ok, just a few thoughts that popped into my head after reading all these posts.

1. opening in summer cause they would sell more souviners becuase more people are there.

Well.. would they not still sell the same amount of souviners in the summer if they opened it sooner? In fact, wouldn't they sell more because they call sell souviners from winter/spring then sell all the souviners in the summer?

2. nobody really said that it's official opening is in jan... but that they may be doing guest testing in january. Yet a few people took this to mean they were officially going to open the ride in jan.

3. Just because the mountin is enclosed, and the yeti is going to be large doesn't mean that it's already in there. For all we know, they could be shipping it in 1000 boxes that are 2 feet squared.

4. Having soft openings in the winter/spring would most likely bring in more locals, and some from further away, so they would have a little higher attendance if they opened it in winter/spring

I thought of a couple other points while reading, but forget what they were now.

All I have to say is I really really really really hope they do start soft openings in January, becuase I'm going to be then Feb 8-16! :)

sleepybear

Does anyone know when they began soft openings for Splash Mountain back in 1992 and when the ride officially opened? I was there in June '92 and they were having cast member previews, but I didn't think it officially opened until Oct. 92.
Granted, Splash and EE are two very different rides, but since it was the last "mountain" to be built at WDW, it might give a good idea as to their opening plans.

Or not. I'm just rambling.:lookaroun

Lee

Adventurer
astewart said:
3. Just because the mountin is enclosed, and the yeti is going to be large doesn't mean that it's already in there. For all we know, they could be shipping it in 1000 boxes that are 2 feet squared.

The yeti is still in Glendale...at least he was about 2 weeks ago.

Captain Chaos

I would still like to know if the Yeti will be coming in pieces or whole, and how they plan on getting him into the mountain if he is whole. I also want to know what he looks like.

astewart

I would have to say that it will be in pieces. They wouldn't really be able to ship him from cali to florida as a whole becuase of the size of him! Then there is the fact that the mountain is closing up, or is closed up.. haven't looked at recent pics... so they would have to take him into the building in pieces.

colliera

Back side of the moon - mountain

The_CEO said:
There is a whole side of the mountain none of us can see. So don't worry about it.

I was just about to mention that. Has anyone else noticed the back of the mountain. You can only see it well from the parking lot. I noticed it coming in on a Disney bus but couldn't get a shot of it when leaving. The bus took a slightly different route when leaving and there were too many trees in the way, (and my old digital camera is way to sensitive to movement blur). It is a totally flat vertical wall of what appears to be wooden panels.

So I'm wondering, if they intended to finish it out like the front and side of the mountain why wouldn't they be doing that now? I know the policy is to put the money on stage and don't waste it backstage. So would the back of the mountain would be a backstage area? Will they cover this with trees and foliage, (what tree is that high)? Is it more likely it will get a similiar "blue whale" treatment as Soarin' got at EPCOT? Hopefully a certain show designer that is finishing up on the final version of San Franscio Street at Disney Studios will do the painted flats to at least give the illusion of the back side of the mountain. It shouldn't take that much detail as it is only viewable from quite a distance.

So many questions! I wonder what the ladder has to say about all this? (Sorry, couldn't resist - here we go on another ladder thread drift)!

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
That is common practice to leave off-stage areas incomplete. If you see Splash Mountain from off stage (i.e. over where they keep the parade floats), you would see a similarly incomplete side of the mountain. No harm done if guests can't see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom