Expedition Everest effects status watch

DoleWhipDrea

Forgive me if it’s stated somewhere in the thread (192 pages is a lot) but does anyone know when approximately the last time the Yeti improvements were on the radar and WDI was trying to get an approved budget for the necessary changes? Hearing that the steam and bird have returned feels like a small glimmer of hope but I’m not holding my breath...it would really be great if it was fixed for the 50th.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Forgive me if it’s stated somewhere in the thread (192 pages is a lot) but does anyone know when approximately the last time the Yeti improvements were on the radar and WDI was trying to get an approved budget for the necessary changes? Hearing that the steam and bird have returned feels like a small glimmer of hope but I’m not holding my breath...it would really be great if it was fixed for the 50th.
Pretty sure 2008/early 2009 was the last time the yeti was detected moving

Moka

Over 10 year old thread, wonder if the steam at the loading station would ever return during a future refurb. Was there any explanation about the steam effect not going off? I was always thought it had something to do with the steam messing with the track in some way but it seems kind of unlikely.

Mickeyboof

Over 10 year old thread, wonder if the steam at the loading station would ever return during a future refurb. Was there any explanation about the steam effect not going off? I was always thought it had something to do with the steam messing with the track in some way but it seems kind of unlikely.

The steam effect has returned in an altered state. The steam only blows a little poof out of the top now. Happy they found a solution and balance.

Tom Morrow

The steam used to blow a big billow of smoke but it was often turned off as it is actual hot steam and made the station very hot and humid. It never disappeared for a long period of time.

PS this thread still sucks because there are so many other attractions in WDW that are in dire condition, like Tower of Terror, that deserve the same, if not more attention, than Everest.

HMFan999

The steam used to blow a big billow of smoke but it was often turned off as it is actual hot steam and made the station very hot and humid. It never disappeared for a long period of time.

PS this thread still sucks because there are so many other attractions in WDW that are in dire condition, like Tower of Terror, that deserve the same, if not more attention, than Everest.
Then make a thread for them? That's how forums work...

Moka

yes, I agree there should be other attractions pinned up here. especially since this thread is pretty dated at this point. Almost everyone knows what’s going on with this ride.

Epcot_Imagineer

what's up with the yeti, i liked how it looked when i was there the 1st year it opened
So basically, here's a recap of the last 200 pages. A year-ish (I think less) after the ride opened the yeti broke and it still hasn't been fixed. Basically it just sits there and there are stobe lights and fans on it and that's it. People have talked about getting it fixed and what the problem with it is (the figure itself is just broken, if I remember right it's in its arm/elbow/shoulder joints) and it will take a decent amount of moolah to fix it which no one wants to shell out. So it just sits until seemingly the end of time.

Tom Morrow

Many WDW attractions are a far, far worse presentation in their current condition than Everest. But this thread reinforces this weird idea of the yeti being super mega important above all else. This thread is also a major reason behind every obnoxious fanboy having to chime in with yeti jokes, as if knowing that the yeti doesn't move makes them some sort of insider.

Last edited:

Epcot_Imagineer

@WDW Pro I'm bringing the discussion over here as to now continue this discussion in the dumpster fire thread. Here's the quote of what I and every other Insider consider to be the Holy Grail of Yeti answers:
I've been meaning to post this for quite a while, but just haven't had time. Thanks to a recent reminder from @Master Yoda to try and shed some light on the Yeti debacle....

Ok, so back in September I was at a conference at WDW, and the wife decided to book a Dine With An Imagineer lunch at DHS. I skipped one of my educational sessions to do this, and we ended up with a 2-for-1. The main imagineer was a Show Design and Production manager, who was a DWAI veteran (and most recently involved in the Frozen Ever After project); the other guy was a mechanical engineer in charge of show quality, who was a newbie-in-training, at least when it came to these dinners. He explained to us that it was his job to do periodic "reviews" of the rides, and point out areas where show quality is falling below certain standards. He's also heavily involved in maintaining ride systems and animatronics. It was a fantastic experience, and we learned a lot about how things work behind the scenes, but nearing the end of our time, I (obviously) couldn't resist bringing up the Yeti.

Immediately upon my mentioning the Yeti, I could see that it was an obvious a sore spot for him. He stated that there have been multiple proposals put forth for repairing it, but none of the "big shots" have been on board. As for the specific problem, he mentioned that there are a couple of factors: flaws in the original "design calculations" (these were his words), particularly with regard to operational and maintenance conditions on such a large animatronic, and inability to perform proper maintenance on the Yeti. No mention of "shifting/failed foundations" as is often suggested. As a practicing structural engineer, I wanted to know whether this was the problem, and he indicated that the main issue is the animatronic itself.

The other factor is the ability to perform maintenance on the animatronic. I think this is the source of rumors that they "can't replace /fix it without opening up the mountain" rumors, but it's actually much simpler, and this issue ties into the first. He specifically talked about unanticipated stresses in parts of the animatronic due to lack of maintenance in other parts. If one of the motors in the yeti's elbow wears out or isn't functioning properly, but they continue to operate under those conditions, then higher stresses are transferred to the shoulder and chest, etc. My best guess regarding his comments about "incorrect calculations" is that he was referring to fatigue related problems in the robotic parts, and possibly in other structural supports.

The other major factor is that things have changed dramatically at WDW in the last few years regarding their compliance with OSHA standards for maintenance and fall protection. Any new work done to get the Yeti operational means that they have to update the design to meet these standards, so that ongoing maintenance on the animatronic can be safely performed. This would involve major upgrades to allow compliance with fall protection and other things related to maintenance workers.

It was encouraging at least to see how much it bothered him that it didn't work. He brought up the Universal dig re: their Kong animatronic (it moves...) and said that he and his colleagues all read blogs and other social media comments for research and to pick up on things they miss in their reviews. So, there you have it. Take it for what it's worth, but this guy was no bus driver...;)

I'm just trying to figure out how this could line up with what you said. Not trying to call you out or bash what you've said, just trying to see if things line up or if I'm not properly following what you're saying about the Yeti. You said sensors were going off. Are you referring to sensors within the AA, the sled, or within the tower itself?

Dunston

I have a feeling that the rockwork itself here and there is going to need some TLC sooner rather than later. It is becoming cracked apart in some places, such as after the second lift hill. Here is how the first dip after the second lift hill (when you first enter the mountain) looked back in 2006 when it opened:

Here is that same spot in January 2019, 13 years later:

Eventually the cracked concrete "snow" will need to be upkept, just like any other attraction. Remember when Splash was literally falling apart? I bet a lengthy refurbishment is not as far-off as some may think. The only question is whether Disney will cough up the $30 million (according to WDW_Pro) needed to fix the Yeti. If the company isn't even willing to pay puppeteers and band members, I think we know the answer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom