Expedition Everest effects status watch

Almac97

I have a feeling that the rockwork itself here and there is going to need some TLC sooner rather than later. It is becoming cracked apart in some places, such as after the second lift hill. Here is how the first dip after the second lift hill (when you first enter the mountain) looked back in 2006 when it opened:
View attachment 420043

Here is that same spot in January 2019, 13 years later:
View attachment 420041

Eventually the cracked concrete "snow" will need to be upkept, just like any other attraction. Remember when Splash was literally falling apart? I bet a lengthy refurbishment is not as far-off as some may think. The only question is whether Disney will cough up the $30 million (according to WDW_Pro) needed to fix the Yeti. If the company isn't even willing to pay puppeteers and band members, I think we know the answer.
Nuh uh, that can't be the same coaster in the 2nd picture. Looks like it belongs in Nara Dreamland!

Dunston

Good compilation of some A-mode video, plus the Rohde piece is great (and shows off the movement possible). Too bad it completely breaks down into falsehoods after that. :)
YUP!! Although WDWPro's recent comments on the matter make me realize why rumors have circulated so much about how the mountain would have to be taken apart... The current damage to the Yeti itself is so bad that Disney would never put up the cash to repair it.
I wish that one day we will see A mode again.

Goofyernmost

Isn't it time to move on. The Yeti as originally planned is dead and barring some lavish spending it is going to remain dead. We know that no lavish intentional spending is going to happen so why not just go beyond the denial part of this and go to the mourning the loss and acceptance. Then we can focus on the smaller problems that have more of a chance then a snowball in hell of actually getting repaired.

As far as I know Everest has remained a very popular ride in spite of our angst about it. Probably 90% of the current riders don't even know that it was once a mobile part of it and are unfazed. It was a very expensive engineering mistake (that happens) that any responsible person would or should know is not worth throwing more money at simply because it hasn't hurt its popularity at all. It has been years since that "Modern Marvels" program has aired because even if they were to forget about the Yeti portion so much else has changed that it is not relevant in any aspect anymore.**
Except, perhaps, that Joe's earlobe is probably about 4 inches closer to the ground by now.

Last edited:

JustAFan

I rode multiple times this week. There was steam at the loading platform, not so much from under the train, but from the smokestack and at the back at departure.
20191128_141631.jpg

Moka

I rode multiple times this week. There was steam at the loading platform, not so much from under the train, but from the smokestack and at the back at departure.
I rode Monday night and got steam from the top of the train as well, didn’t see any come from the bottom or the back.

TrainsOfDisney

The track steam at load and the top of the mountain have been disabled for years now due to it disabling ride sensors.

The steam at the load is actual steam and is currently operating as evidenced in this thread with photos.

The tunnels at the top of the mountain were either mist based fog or co2 based fog. They have been turned off since opening year. It’s a shame... falling through the fog out into the big drop was really cool.

Also not seeing the track switch in front of you added to the mystery and was better show.

JustAFan

The steam at the load is actual steam and is currently operating as evidenced in this thread with photos.

The tunnels at the top of the mountain were either mist based fog or co2 based fog. They have been turned off since opening year. It’s a shame... falling through the fog out into the big drop was really cool.

Also not seeing the track switch in front of you added to the mystery and was better show.
To be clear, the steam I saw was coming out of the smokestack when the train was at the loading platform and near the bottom at the back of the train upon departure. The blast of steam from underneath at the loading platform was not working. I have not seen that in quite a while.

I never saw the steam at the top of the mountain, but that sounds really cool. In fact, I would guess that might be even a more impactful effect than a moving Yeti.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
To be clear, the “steam” at the top of the mountain at rail height was water based. It was disabled as opposed to changed due to track sensor corrosion.

The mountain top “cloud” effect was different. As is the real steam at the load platform. The load steam comes from beneath the train, up the hollow chimney and out the top, usually with residual emerging at platform level.

JustAFan

To be clear, the “steam” at the top of the mountain at rail height was water based. It was disabled as opposed to changed due to track sensor corrosion.

The mountain top “cloud” effect was different. As is the real steam at the load platform. The load steam comes from beneath the train, up the hollow chimney and out the top, usually with residual emerging at platform level.
Thanks for the extra info. Disney Imagineering has accomplished some amazing things. I am constantly in awe of their work. It seems they made a silly mistake on this one. How do you not account for that? It sounds like they dropped the ball on this one.

Tom Morrow

The boiler for the load steam effect can be seen on the other side of the load area between load and unload. It used to be much more prominent but it made the station excessively hot and humid through much of the year and was often disabled. It was down completely for a while and recently brought back, with a smaller puff of steam. It's possible the effect was reduced so they can run it more often without increasing the temperature and humidity too much.

Castle Cake Apologist

The boiler for the load steam effect can be seen on the other side of the load area between load and unload. It used to be much more prominent but it made the station excessively hot and humid through much of the year and was often disabled. It was down completely for a while and recently brought back, with a smaller puff of steam. It's possible the effect was reduced so they can run it more often without increasing the temperature and humidity too much.

I miss the original steam level so much. It used to practically fill the load platform and was such a cool effect. I do understand why it was reduced from an Ops standpoint, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom