Expedition Everest effects status watch

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I know he's been covered before, but I thought that Everest would remain as is until Pandora opens. It is possible they might be doing On The Fly changes to Everest so it looks good to hold the crowds when Pandora opens? :look around:

False Internet Supposition based on the false premise the structure is too crackable to allow Yeti to dance around. Thus, the supposition they have to close the ride for a while to do extensive structural repair/replacement. Thus the supposition they won't do this until Avatar opens to soak up the crowd so they can work on the Yeti.

As Martin keeps saying, they've removed the Yeti a few times trying to fix him. It's not a weak structural issue.

But to keep trying to repair him would (and I'm back in supposition land) to budget it in the annual budge and then schedule it with the engineers for each attempt. This spaces out the attempts over several years and makes people suppose the issue is structural when it takes years trying to fix it.

copcarguyp71

Sooooo....what's up with the great and powerful Yeti not working?

73921029.jpg

Seriously though...I feel bad for Joe because so much of his vision never came to fruition and a lot of what did is languishing in mediocrity. I mean...just look at his face at the Pandora groundbreaking....the guy is in pain at the direction things have taken. I am not a doom and gloomer about Pandora but I am fairly certain it is not the direction he had in mind for the park judging by his forced smile. But...I digress this is a EE thread.

Navi_groundBreaking_0108ZW_DR.jpg

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Sooooo....what's up with the great and powerful Yeti not working?

73921029.jpg

Seriously though...I feel bad for Joe because so much of his vision never came to fruition and a lot of what did is languishing in mediocrity. I mean...just look at his face at the Pandora groundbreaking....the guy is in pain at the direction things have taken. I am not a doom and gloomer about Pandora but I am fairly certain it is not the direction he had in mind for the park judging by his forced smile. But...I digress this is a EE thread.

Navi_groundBreaking_0108ZW_DR.jpg
Is Joe the main force behind Avatar like he was for EE?

copcarguyp71

Is Joe the main force behind Avatar like he was for EE?

I am pretty sure that is an emphatic no. From what I can tell in readings Pandora was foisted upon the parks through motion in the backfield with James Cameron and with no real condoning by Joe. I personally do not see it as a direction Joe would chose to go and my summation is that as a Disney employee he has to smile through his teeth while his stomach acid churns.

NormC

As Martin keeps saying, they've removed the Yeti a few times trying to fix him. It's not a weak structural issue.
Debatable. Some say the Yet himself is fine but the mechanism he is mounted on (sled/armature) is the problem and some say the foundation it is all mounted on is the problem. Some say it is just a safety or insurance issue. Nothing has been confirmed or denied by anyone with inside information.

Goingdown13

From what I've been told by multiple people who have seen it is that...

At first it was the structure moving too much and causing it to break so they sturdied the structure by taking away its ability to move at all.

Without that give, the mechanical part of the yeti tore itself apart because there was no more room for the structure to give.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
From what I've been told by multiple people who have seen it is that...

At first it was the structure moving too much and causing it to break so they sturdied the structure by taking away its ability to move at all.

Without that give, the mechanical part of the yeti tore itself apart because there was no more room for the structure to give.
I've always been under the assumption the foundation/structure was created to stay stable and that the Yeti was too powerful, so much so that he moved the structure, compromising the stability

Goingdown13

I've always been under the assumption the foundation/structure was created to stay stable and that the Yeti was too powerful, so much so that he moved the structure, compromising the stability

That is what I've heard happened. However, in an attempt to stabilize the foundation they did too much and it compromised the structural integrity of the yeti itself because it no longer had any "wiggle room."

Musicman20

Whilst EE is one of my favourite attractions EVER, and without doubt one of the best rollercoasters I will experience in my lifetime (I am more about views/detail and smooth rides rather than absolute extreme coasters) I just don't understand how they can spend SO much on such an amazing AA, which looks absolutely huge on the documentaries, can go wrong so easily. I mean surely with the amount they spent, someone thought 'hang on a minute, that is one HUGE piece of engineering...we need to have proper access and proper stability'.

I've only been on EE with Disco Mode active...and there did not appear to be any steam or the bird. The whole coaster is SO smooth and fun, and the Yeti does still look impressive, but c'mon Disney, I hope your plans for refurb are absolutely bulletproof by now.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
That is what I've heard happened. However, in an attempt to stabilize the foundation they did too much and it compromised the structural integrity of the yeti itself because it no longer had any "wiggle room."
I don't think they want the supports for a 25 foot tall, 4 ton yeti "Wiggling". I'm in Robotics, and we allowed our robot to "Wiggle",and it almost crashed on my head! Yeti wiggles to much= Yeti falls on train

EagleScout610

Premium Member
Whilst EE is one of my favourite attractions EVER, and without doubt one of the best rollercoasters I will experience in my lifetime (I am more about views/detail and smooth rides rather than absolute extreme coasters) I just don't understand how they can spend SO much on such an amazing AA, which looks absolutely huge on the documentaries, can go wrong so easily. I mean surely with the amount they spent, someone thought 'hang on a minute, that is one HUGE piece of engineering...we need to have proper access and proper stability'.

I've only been on EE with Disco Mode active...and there did not appear to be any steam or the bird. The whole coaster is SO smooth and fun, and the Yeti does still look impressive, but c'mon Disney, I hope your plans for refurb are absolutely bulletproof by now.
The sad thing is, we don't even know if they're doing a full refurb or just touch-up work

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
I've been meaning to post this for quite a while, but just haven't had time. Thanks to a recent reminder from @Master Yoda to try and shed some light on the Yeti debacle....

Ok, so back in September I was at a conference at WDW, and the wife decided to book a Dine With An Imagineer lunch at DHS. I skipped one of my educational sessions to do this, and we ended up with a 2-for-1. The main imagineer was a Show Design and Production manager, who was a DWAI veteran (and most recently involved in the Frozen Ever After project); the other guy was a mechanical engineer in charge of show quality, who was a newbie-in-training, at least when it came to these dinners. He explained to us that it was his job to do periodic "reviews" of the rides, and point out areas where show quality is falling below certain standards. He's also heavily involved in maintaining ride systems and animatronics. It was a fantastic experience, and we learned a lot about how things work behind the scenes, but nearing the end of our time, I (obviously) couldn't resist bringing up the Yeti.

Immediately upon my mentioning the Yeti, I could see that it was an obvious a sore spot for him. He stated that there have been multiple proposals put forth for repairing it, but none of the "big shots" have been on board. As for the specific problem, he mentioned that there are a couple of factors: flaws in the original "design calculations" (these were his words), particularly with regard to operational and maintenance conditions on such a large animatronic, and inability to perform proper maintenance on the Yeti. No mention of "shifting/failed foundations" as is often suggested. As a practicing structural engineer, I wanted to know whether this was the problem, and he indicated that the main issue is the animatronic itself.

The other factor is the ability to perform maintenance on the animatronic. I think this is the source of rumors that they "can't replace /fix it without opening up the mountain" rumors, but it's actually much simpler, and this issue ties into the first. He specifically talked about unanticipated stresses in parts of the animatronic due to lack of maintenance in other parts. If one of the motors in the yeti's elbow wears out or isn't functioning properly, but they continue to operate under those conditions, then higher stresses are transferred to the shoulder and chest, etc. My best guess regarding his comments about "incorrect calculations" is that he was referring to fatigue related problems in the robotic parts, and possibly in other structural supports.

The other major factor is that things have changed dramatically at WDW in the last few years regarding their compliance with OSHA standards for maintenance and fall protection. Any new work done to get the Yeti operational means that they have to update the design to meet these standards, so that ongoing maintenance on the animatronic can be safely performed. This would involve major upgrades to allow compliance with fall protection and other things related to maintenance workers.

It was encouraging at least to see how much it bothered him that it didn't work. He brought up the Universal dig re: their Kong animatronic (it moves...) and said that he and his colleagues all read blogs and other social media comments for research and to pick up on things they miss in their reviews. So, there you have it. Take it for what it's worth, but this guy was no bus driver...;)

EagleScout610

Premium Member
I've been meaning to post this for quite a while, but just haven't had time. Thanks to a recent reminder from @Master Yoda to try and shed some light on the Yeti debacle....

Ok, so back in September I was at a conference at WDW, and the wife decided to book a Dine With An Imagineer lunch at DHS. I skipped one of my educational sessions to do this, and we ended up with a 2-for-1. The main imagineer was a Show Design and Production manager, who was a DWAI veteran (and most recently involved in the Frozen Ever After project); the other guy was a mechanical engineer in charge of show quality, who was a newbie-in-training, at least when it came to these dinners. He explained to us that it was his job to do periodic "reviews" of the rides, and point out areas where show quality is falling below certain standards. He's also heavily involved in maintaining ride systems and animatronics. It was a fantastic experience, and we learned a lot about how things work behind the scenes, but nearing the end of our time, I (obviously) couldn't resist bringing up the Yeti.

Immediately upon my mentioning the Yeti, I could see that it was an obvious a sore spot for him. He stated that there have been multiple proposals put forth for repairing it, but none of the "big shots" have been on board. As for the specific problem, he mentioned that there are a couple of factors: flaws in the original "design calculations" (these were his words), particularly with regard to operational and maintenance conditions on such a large animatronic, and inability to perform proper maintenance on the Yeti. No mention of "shifting/failed foundations" as is often suggested. As a practicing structural engineer, I wanted to know whether this was the problem, and he indicated that the main issue is the animatronic itself.

The other factor is the ability to perform maintenance on the animatronic. I think this is the source of rumors that they "can't replace /fix it without opening up the mountain" rumors, but it's actually much simpler, and this issue ties into the first. He specifically talked about unanticipated stresses in parts of the animatronic due to lack of maintenance in other parts. If one of the motors in the yeti's elbow wears out or isn't functioning properly, but they continue to operate under those conditions, then higher stresses are transferred to the shoulder and chest, etc. My best guess regarding his comments about "incorrect calculations" is that he was referring to fatigue related problems in the robotic parts, and possibly in other structural supports.

The other major factor is that things have changed dramatically at WDW in the last few years regarding their compliance with OSHA standards for maintenance and fall protection. Any new work done to get the Yeti operational means that they have to update the design to meet these standards, so that ongoing maintenance on the animatronic can be safely performed. This would involve major upgrades to allow compliance with fall protection and other things related to maintenance workers.

It was encouraging at least to see how much it bothered him that it didn't work. He brought up the Universal dig re: their Kong animatronic (it moves...) and said that he and his colleagues all read blogs and other social media comments for research and to pick up on things they miss in their reviews. So, there you have it. Take it for what it's worth, but this guy was no bus driver...;)
So, we've been wrong all along?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So, we've been wrong all along?
In regards to the foundation being the problem, not being able to remove the Yeti without taking the entire mountain apart, and other such things.... yes.

However, both @Lee and @marni1971 pointed out quite some time ago that the problem was with the figure itself, in particular the shoulder, and the reason it had not been fixed were more legal and political (eg who gets the bill) vs "We don't know how to fix it". But like most rumors/conspiracy theories, they just never die even when they are shown to be incorrect.

Magenta Panther

So this indicates that the deep pockets at Disney don't want to shell out to fix the Yeti, because hey, why should they? The dumb rubes will never notice the difference. :p

This IMO is as big a disgrace as the plan to gut the Tower. It reveals a contempt for the customer and an indifference to show quality. Way to tarnish the Disney legacy of quality, Iger.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom