Expedition Everest effects status watch

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

The Yeti, that you see for 1 second on an otherwise awesome rise, somehow ruins everybody’s vacation because in that 1 second that they see, it doesn’t move. VACATION RUINED!!
it hurts the overrall ride if you million dollar AA that was designed to move no longer moves and becomes a waste of money.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Not really, seeing as these days most people who ride don't even know that the Yeti moved so the go past see the strobes aaaand thats it.

Epcot_Imagineer

I have a feeling that the rockwork itself here and there is going to need some TLC sooner rather than later. It is becoming cracked apart in some places, such as after the second lift hill. Here is how the first dip after the second lift hill (when you first enter the mountain) looked back in 2006 when it opened:
View attachment 420043

Here is that same spot in January 2019, 13 years later:
View attachment 420041

Eventually the cracked concrete "snow" will need to be upkept, just like any other attraction. Remember when Splash was literally falling apart? I bet a lengthy refurbishment is not as far-off as some may think. The only question is whether Disney will cough up the $30 million (according to WDW_Pro) needed to fix the Yeti. If the company isn't even willing to pay puppeteers and band members, I think we know the answer.
Good lord this is appalling. I don't understand how this ride has never gone down in 10 years for a real refurb. Anyone know if it has ever gone down for a few day refurb here and there?

Epcot_Imagineer

Additionally, I found this @marni1971 post from 2014 from browsing around showing the location of the Yeti within E:E. All I want to know now is where exactly the access door for remove/install it is.
Its hard to do orthographically without proper reference, but this is the rough position of the broken AAs platform within the building.

View attachment 55578

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The Yeti, that you see for 1 second on an otherwise awesome rise, somehow ruins everybody’s vacation because in that 1 second that they see, it doesn’t move. VACATION RUINED!!

No one is saying, "VACATION RUINED!!". But it is bad show. You only see the Yeti projection for a few seconds, so that could be turned off and it wouldn't ruin "an otherwise awesome ride", correct? They could just turn off the AA's on Splash Mountain, as you only see them for a few seconds each anyway, because it wouldn't ruin "an otherwise awesome ride", right? Rides are the sum of their parts. Something not working means the ride is not the full, intended experience. Bad show is bad show no matter how hard some want to defend it.

FWIW, I accepted long ago the fact that the yeti will not be fixed anytime soon. Sadly. It doesn't "ruin my vacation". That does not mean I will accept bad show.

Incomudro

No one is saying, "VACATION RUINED!!". But it is bad show. You only see the Yeti projection for a few seconds, so that could be turned off and it wouldn't ruin "an otherwise awesome ride", correct? They could just turn off the AA's on Splash Mountain, as you only see them for a few seconds each anyway, because it wouldn't ruin "an otherwise awesome ride", right? Rides are the sum of their parts. Something not working means the ride is not the full, intended experience. Bad show is bad show no matter how hard some want to defend it.

FWIW, I accepted long ago the fact that the yeti will not be fixed anytime soon. Sadly. It doesn't "ruin my vacation". That does not mean I will accept bad show.

Poor comparisons.

Doug Means

I have never seen DISCO ever move. The ride is fine without him. I am sure he is something to behold if you have a chance to stand and watch him.
I was lucky enough to see him move the 1st year it was open, but it was so long ago i really am having a hard time remembering how good it was. i've been on EE so many times without him moving and love it. I really wonder if WHEN he moves again, if i will even notice or care. you go by him soooo fast.

JustAFan

I was lucky enough to see him move the 1st year it was open, but it was so long ago i really am having a hard time remembering how good it was. i've been on EE so many times without him moving and love it. I really wonder if WHEN he moves again, if i will even notice or care. you go by him soooo fast.
Which is why I think this has been blown a little bit out of proportion. With all due respect to everyone's opinion, I can't really imagine it making that huge of a difference. It's less than 5 seconds of the experience of an otherwise really cool ride. I'm sure it would be cool, but if it took having the ride go down for a year and my park ticket go up another $20 ... nah, I'm good.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

It's not that difficult to notice the difference between a flashing strobe, and a moving 25ft tall animatronic.

Victor Kelly

One of the Bobs: "Hey Bob if we fix the Yeti we can raise prices".

"You're right Bob. We can raise admission by $30 per day."

"Why stop there Bob? We can raise parking to $35 per day. Then food and beverages by 20%. Eliminate free EMH and parking for resort guests and remove free parking for AP holders."

"OMG you're right Bob. This will bail us out of the Galaxies Edge fiasco."

DoleWhipDrea

The reason why so many bemoan the state of the yeti is because of what he was designed (and greatly advertised) to be. A lot of travel specials spent a significant amount of time focusing on all of the work that went into designing this one figure, the most spectacular AA Disney has ever created. And when you see video of how he moved...well, it’s just such a sad waste that he’s not able to do what he was meant to do. Yes, without the yeti, EE is a fun roller coaster, but it was the yeti that was meant to be the showstopper. And he represents an important facet of what Animal Kingdom is supposed to be.

Disney will continue to raise prices whether they fix him or not. It’s not going to be an excuse they use. If people continue to visit the parks, they will continue to raise prices. Maintenance of attractions is part of the basics of running a theme park. WDW deserves better on this front.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom