Expedition Everest effects status watch

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Still, I think its weird to demand things be stage perfect when not being viewed from on-stage.
Simply put: offstage is typically a term used for actors, tech, and staff. Not audience. ;)
Like we all know that money isn't infinite, right? And that even mega companies like Disney need to conserve costs when they can.
As long as it doesn’t diminish the quality. One does not want to see the cast member break room trailer that sits next to pirates of the caribbean before arriving to the building. Lol.
I'd rather them design and paint the backside of a showbuilding to be inconspicuous and use the money to have more details and effects on-stage rather than have a full 360 Everest with show elements cut.
why not both? Disney was able to design pavilions for Epcot all the way around in 1982 with state of the art attractions just fine. Spaceship earth is always a great example.
The show is the important thing.
Correct. And for disney, the show begins as soon as you’re on property. Hence, the “disney bubble.” Even Universal is completely immersive as soon as you step foot on city walk.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The set designer was paid quite well to choose that look and the LD was paid quite well to light up those bricks!

Choosing to expose set pieces ala Star Tours is a different debate.
The point: When people say things to the effect of "Well, Broadway is *professional* and they would *never* expose the 'magic' behind their set design!", then they don't know what they're talking about.

A whole slew of Broadway productions tip their hands to "backstage" stuff. In Les Misérables, they don't close the curtain, rotate the stage to reveal the barricade, then open the curtain again. They rotate it in full view of the audience. Other productions have either the cast or stagehands dressed in neutral clothing to move set pieces around. Heck, in Avenue Q and The Lion King musicals, they don't hide the puppeteers.

I saw a revival of Sweeney Todd with Patti LuPone. There were only 10 actors and they all took turns playing instruments. Patti was strutting around the stage playing the tuba when she wasn't playing Mrs. Lovett.

Broadway and Broadway audiences accept the lack of full verisimilitude, and happily suspend disbelief so that it's perfectly fine that a painted cardboard tree represents an actual tree. What's important is the acting and story-telling.

Back when Disney parks were good ( ;) ), there were breaks in lines of sights, there were garbage cans every 30 feet in the Old West, and a horde of 20th century guests milling about a medieval fantasy land. People knew to ignore certain things and fill in the blanks with others.

Still, if the original DL was built today, you'd have people on the Internet complaining how fake it is because there are garbage cans and electric lights in the pre-industrial 'lands'. Sorta like demanding a ramp into a fully tourable Millennial Falcon, otherwise, it's all garbage!

This isn't an argument for 'not trying.' The BBB of Cosmic Rewind should have been hidden much better. But the standard of "never never never ever seeing BoH" is ridiculous. Broadway most certainly does not practice that. And it's broken every time one spots an emergency exit sign.

TrainsOfDisney

The point: When people say things to the effect of "Well, Broadway is *professional* and they would *never* expose the 'magic' behind their set design!", then they don't know what they're talking about.

A whole slew of Broadway productions tip their hands to "backstage" stuff. In Les Misérables, they don't close the curtain, rotate the stage to reveal the barricade, then open the curtain again. They rotate it in full view of the audience. Other productions have either the cast or stagehands dressed in neutral clothing to move set pieces around. Heck, in Avenue Q and The Lion King musicals, they don't hide the puppeteers.

I saw a revival of Sweeney Todd with Patti LuPone. There were only 10 actors and they all took turns playing instruments. Patti was strutting around the stage playing the tuba when she wasn't playing Mrs. Lovett.

Broadway and Broadway audiences accept the lack of full verisimilitude, and happily suspend disbelief so that it's perfectly fine that a painted cardboard tree represents an actual tree. What's important is the acting and story-telling.

Back when Disney parks were good ( ;) ), there were breaks in lines of sights, there were garbage cans every 30 feet in the Old West, and a horde of 20th century guests milling about a medieval fantasy land. People knew to ignore certain things and fill in the blanks with others.

Still, if the original DL was built today, you'd have people on the Internet complaining how fake it is because there are garbage cans and electric lights in the pre-industrial 'lands'. Sorta like demanding a ramp into a fully tourable Millennial Falcon, otherwise, it's all garbage!

This isn't an argument for 'not trying.' The BBB of Cosmic Rewind should have been hidden much better. But the standard of "never never never ever seeing BoH" is ridiculous. Broadway most certainly does not practice that. And it's broken every time one spots an emergency exit sign.

That’s a very different point. The ghost light that you see in phantom of the opera is not the actual ghost light for the theatre. It’s designed and built as a set piece to be part of the story. Everything you mentioned was designed that way.

Many parts of the original MGM Park diliberately exposed the backside of set pieces and facades. That’s not what is being discussed here.

Back to the broken effects..... anyone remember how amazing it was NOT seeing the tracks switch and falling out of the fog and straight down into the curve? I’d take that over fixing the yeti any day!

mergatroid

Correct. And for disney, the show begins as soon as you’re on property. Hence, the “disney bubble.” Even Universal is completely immersive as soon as you step foot on city walk.
Well they make a good effort. On Hulk you clearly see the none themed back of the entrance to IOA when you get to unload. It's always looked messy there along with the not so great views backstage from the latter half of the attraction. Same with Doctor Doom's Fearfall though it doesn't ruin the experience for me as the solution probably wouldn't be financially viable.

WondersOfLife

Well they make a good effort. On Hulk you clearly see the none themed back of the entrance to IOA when you get to unload. It's always looked messy there along with the not so great views backstage from the latter half of the attraction. Same with Doctor Doom's Fearfall though it doesn't ruin the experience for me as the solution probably wouldn't be financially viable.
Either way, this is why you're not head of imagineering. lol

WondersOfLife

The actual point: Comparing a show to an immersive theme park is irrelevant. Shows are shows. Lol.

That's quite the typing, but the argument is still there, technically speaking. The whole "exposed set" argument is still a set for the show. And, like I said, Disney theme parks are supposed to go beyond even that quality of entertainment.

The perfect example: There was a time where Disney literally painted the Tower of Terror so that it would blend in with Morocco.... Then we got Swan & Dolphin. See how that works?

If Disney sets up such a large example as theming an attraction a whole dang theme park and miles away to fit in with the other theme park, then they can be held accountable for tacky warehouse boxes like Guardians and Tron. That is why this argument exists. It's Disney's fault for setting their own standards and gloating about those standards for so long.

Professortango1

The actual point: Comparing a show to an immersive theme park is irrelevant. Shows are shows. Lol.

That's quite the typing, but the argument is still there, technically speaking. The whole "exposed set" argument is still a set for the show. And, like I said, Disney theme parks are supposed to go beyond even that quality of entertainment.

The perfect example: There was a time where Disney literally painted the Tower of Terror so that it would blend in with Morocco.... Then we got Swan & Dolphin. See how that works?

If Disney sets up such a large example as theming an attraction a whole dang theme park and miles away to fit in with the other theme park, then they can be held accountable for tacky warehouse boxes like Guardians and Tron. That is why this argument exists. It's Disney's fault for setting their own standards and gloating about those standards for so long.

They painted TOT to blend in with the Morocco Pavilion because of how it looked on-stage. They didn't do it because you might see the back of TOT if driving down a side road, it was because the structure was part of the on-stage vista.

I do agree that Guardians and Tron are utter failures in many ways, including show buildings being seen while on-stage.

WondersOfLife

They painted TOT to blend in with the Morocco Pavilion because of how it looked on-stage. They didn't do it because you might see the back of TOT if driving down a side road, it was because the structure was part of the on-stage vista.
But it matters for other attractions back in the day, like the back side of everest.
1.jpg

I do agree that Guardians and Tron are utter failures in many ways, including show buildings being seen while on-stage.
Good.

mergatroid

So you find seeing the back of the entrance to IOA at the end of Hulk immersive? Not sure why that's the case, it could easily be hidden but instead it's just there, an obvious facade along with a load of trash cans last time I went. A bit of screening would cover it they wanted to, or they could go all out and actually theme it? It doesn't bother me as I ride for the thrill of the ride and can accept seeing a bit of unthemed area here and there. But if we're going to be claiming a bit of a show building can be seen from the car park at Disney is wrong, we can't then say that Universal gets a free pass for unsightly areas actually within their parks if we're comparing which you clearly were.

And if we're being ultra picky in like for like comparisons, what about the Forbidden Journey show building clearly visible from within the park?

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

So you find seeing the back of the entrance to IOA at the end of Hulk immersive? Not sure why that's the case, it could easily be hidden but instead it's just there, an obvious facade along with a load of trash cans last time I went. A bit of screening would cover it they wanted to, or they could go all out and actually theme it? It doesn't bother me as I ride for the thrill of the ride and can accept seeing a bit of unthemed area here and there. But if we're going to be claiming a bit of a show building can be seen from the car park at Disney is wrong, we can't then say that Universal gets a free pass for unsightly areas actually within their parks if we're comparing which you clearly were.

And if we're being ultra picky in like for like comparisons, what about the Forbidden Journey show building clearly visible from within the park?
They obviously missed the mark on those two sight lines. Anyways, refer to picture above your post that you skipped over.

WondersOfLife

For the 3 folks who are arguing that sight lines are ridiculous (for some odd reason) on a disney world forum, read this article about the importance of sight lines... quite frankly, I’m shocked and surprised that I have to share this with anyone at all. The dumbest debate I’ve ever had on these forums.

The Illusion of Fantasy: Sight Lines

mergatroid

They obviously missed the mark on those two sight lines. Anyways, refer to picture above your post that you skipped over.
I didn't skip over it, I'm aware of what they did. I also know for a fact people went crazy on here about that show building, some even after they painted it to look like that saying it was terrible.

For what it's worth, all parks have faults with show buildings etc. There's a limit to what you can do and whether financially it's worth it or not. Disney almost certainly doesn't seem to worry as much as they used to, however the idea that every building can be hidden is a bit of a stretch imho.

WondersOfLife

I didn't skip over it, I'm aware of what they did. I also know for a fact people went crazy on here about that show building, some even after they painted it to look like that saying it was terrible.
The point is it was an effort.
For what it's worth, all parks have faults with show buildings etc.
No argument there.
There's a limit to what you can do
Not for Disney.
and whether financially it's worth it or not.
Downfall of modern Disney.
Disney almost certainly doesn't seem to worry as much as they used to,
Sadly.
however the idea that every building can be hidden is a bit of a stretch imho.
Disagreed, still. If you're going to make a giant building that can't be covered by trees like Haunted Mansion, then make it a giant themed building like Spaceship Earth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom