Expedition Everest effects status watch

Professortango1

In my opinion anything from a public accessed guest area is on stage.

The back of Everest is very visible from the Disney buses as they approach DAK.

When it opened, it was very visible from the DAK parking lot but foliage has grown to mostly cover it now.

While I’m ok with the solution... it still should have been a full 360 degree mountain from day 1 in my opinion.
Speaking from a theatrical mindset, I've done theatrical shows/experiences where parking lot and guests queuing outside the venue can see the backside of set pieces. We typically paint them a flat black to not draw the eye and save the theatrical set design for items which will appear on stage or in show. While the parking and ticket experience should be as pleasant as possible, the show itself doesn't begin until you pass through the turnstiles.

Professortango1

This is not the standard that Disney should be holding themselves to in my opinion.
I disagree. As long as I'm not seeing exposed metal work or boring bungalows, I'm good. I just want an appeasing view as I approach. I don't need to see the full Everest from outside the park. That reveal is meant for inside the park. I don't need IJA to look like a massive temple from the trams, a box of painted jungle trees is fine with me. With how much Disney is cheapening out, I'd rather them use their resources to satisfy on-stage experiences.

TrainsOfDisney

I disagree. As long as I'm not seeing exposed metal work or boring bungalows, I'm good. I just want an appeasing view as I approach. I don't need to see the full Everest from outside the park. That reveal is meant for inside the park. I don't need IJA to look like a massive temple from the trams, a box of painted jungle trees is fine with me. With how much Disney is cheapening out, I'd rather them use their resources to satisfy on-stage experiences.
Alright. Agree to disagree!

Can you see Indy from the trams? I’ve never parked at Disneyland so never ridden the trams. Lol.

Professortango1

Alright. Agree to disagree!

Can you see Indy from the trams? I’ve never parked at Disneyland so never ridden the trams. Lol.
Yep. Before DCA the parking lot went almost right up to it. Now it is right next to the trams and Downtown Disney. And you don't even think about it.

1200px-Indiana_Jones_show_building.jpg

TrainsOfDisney

Yep. Before DCA the parking lot went almost right up to it. Now it is right next to the trams and Downtown Disney. And you don't even think about it.

View attachment 610929
Oh interesting. I never visited Disneyland pre-DCA.

I would argue that there is no way to tell that building is the back of Indy... I’ve seen it many times and never known that’s what it was.

It’s pretty obvious what the backside of Galaxies Edge, Avatar, and Everest.

On the west coast the same thing can be said for the backside of Cars Land.

lazyboy97o

The Indiana Jones Adventure is trying to hide but it also just looks like some building. It doesn’t have half of a temple set that you can see. The back of Expedition Everest looks like the back of half of a mountain. It’s clearly some big show element.

Now I’m wondering if you’ll be able to see the unfinished spires of Galaxy’s Edge from the entrance of the Galactic Starcruiser.

GimpYancIent

The Indiana Jones Adventure is trying to hide but it also just looks like some building. It doesn’t have half of a temple set that you can see. The back of Expedition Everest looks like the back of half of a mountain. It’s clearly some big show element.

Now I’m wondering if you’ll be able to see the unfinished spires of Galaxy’s Edge from the entrance of the Galactic Starcruiser.
Just want to be clear. Are you implying the entrance to the Galactic Star Cruiser is themed?

Professortango1

Oh interesting. I never visited Disneyland pre-DCA.

I would argue that there is no way to tell that building is the back of Indy... I’ve seen it many times and never known that’s what it was.

It’s pretty obvious what the backside of Galaxies Edge, Avatar, and Everest.

On the west coast the same thing can be said for the backside of Cars Land.

The backside of Carsland doesn't bother me as by the time I've entered the park and made my way there, that memory is so far removed from thought. It is like a magic trick. I can do a switch in plain sight and if I put enough time between that and the magic moment, audiences don't connect the moments. That's the brilliance of the human mind, we create bite-sized moments to help manage the massive amount of data we experience.

When I see Everest from on-stage, I don't think about how the backside looked when I pulled into the parking lot hours ago.

TrainsOfDisney

The backside of Carsland doesn't bother me as by the time I've entered the park and made my way there, that memory is so far removed from thought. It is like a magic trick. I can do a switch in plain sight and if I put enough time between that and the magic moment, audiences don't connect the moments. That's the brilliance of the human mind, we create bite-sized moments to help manage the massive amount of data we experience.

When I see Everest from on-stage, I don't think about how the backside looked when I pulled into the parking lot hours ago.
The back of CarsLand doesn’t bother me when I’m inside the park either. But when I wake up at the Hilton and look out towards Disneyland and see it... it’s pretty ugly and I know exactly what it is.

Seeing Avatar and Star Wars lands exposed as they are from Disney busses is probably my biggest gripe of them all.

To me, Disney should be better than that. But it’s clear we disagree. And that’s ok! It’s what make the world go around.

mergatroid

This is not the standard that Disney should be holding themselves to in my opinion.
I bet you absolutely hated the Magic Kingdom Skyway that Walt built then? You were in the park, on an attraction seeing lots of show buildings including 20,000 Leagues, IASW and backstage areas?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Speaking from a theatrical mindset, I've done theatrical shows/experiences where parking lot and guests queuing outside the venue can see the backside of set pieces.
Theatre major here... Yes. Sure.

But... That's not Disney. Disney is supposed to go a step beyond community theatre/experiences... Even Broadway theatre and experiences. That's what makes it "magical." ;)

TrainsOfDisney

I bet you absolutely hated the Magic Kingdom Skyway that Walt built then? You were in the park, on an attraction seeing lots of show buildings including 20,000 Leagues, IASW and backstage areas?
Walt built the magic kingdom skyway that opened in 1971? ;)

I didn’t hate it but that unthemed switch tower wasn’t exactly magical.

I don’t remember seeing too many backstage areas but I was also fairly young. Maybe I’ll watch Martins tribute and see how the views were.

mergatroid

Walt built the magic kingdom skyway that opened in 1971? ;)

I didn’t hate it but that unthemed switch tower wasn’t exactly magical.

I don’t remember seeing too many backstage areas but I was also fairly young. Maybe I’ll watch Martins tribute and see how the views were.
He planned it following it's use in Disneyland ;)

TrainsOfDisney

But... That's not Disney. Disney is supposed to go a step beyond community theatre/experiences... Even Broadway theatre and experiences. That's what makes it "magical." ;)
Even then... broadway shows don’t reveal the backside of set pieces or backstage areas.

I was working a cruise ship once when the theatre manager had a shouting match with the stage manager for raising the curtain before the house was clear. It was just a few set pieces being moved on stage but it was a really big deal to him.

Professortango1

Still, I think its weird to demand things be stage perfect when not being viewed from on-stage.

Like we all know that money isn't infinite, right? And that even mega companies like Disney need to conserve costs when they can. I'd rather them design and paint the backside of a showbuilding to be inconspicuous and use the money to have more details and effects on-stage rather than have a full 360 Everest with show elements cut.

The show is the important thing.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Even then... broadway shows don’t reveal the backside of set pieces or backstage areas.
Yes. I was trying not to initiate an argument on their experience.
I was working a cruise ship once when the theatre manager had a shouting match with the stage manager for raising the curtain before the house was clear. It was just a few set pieces being moved on stage but it was a really big deal to him.
It is a very big deal... if the theatrical company is professional. There’s a difference between a church basement theatre/local high school production and a Broadway/cruise ship/theme park show... one would hope, at least. 👍🏻

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom