Expedition Everest effects status watch

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Supposedly they're just going to dismantle the current yeti and build a new one
That's what they've been saying for a while. Other scenarios I've heard are:
  • Replace yeti with 3D projection :grumpy:
  • Fix yeti to Full A Mode once Avatar opens
  • Fix yeti to limited motion (Arm and possibly minimal swipe)

• Replace yeti with new AA that won't cause same problems as original figure

Brad Bishop

That's what they've been saying for a while. Other scenarios I've heard are:
  • Replace yeti with 3D projection :grumpy:
  • Fix yeti to Full A Mode once Avatar opens
  • Fix yeti to limited motion (Arm and possibly minimal swipe)
  • Replace yeti with new AA that won't cause same problems as original figure

I see them leaving it as-is. Even if they do a major refurb on Everest, I think the Yeti will, at best, be cleaned up (skin taken off and maybe the bits that have wear that help with his limited movement refurbished). I don't see them ever fixing it. When it was part of the new ride and a major show piece in the ride it was important. Now that it's just "there" and people are going to ride the ride regardless there's no will to fix it and certainly no budget to fix it. People are going to fly by it on the coaster either way so, in their financial minds, it doesn't make sense to rip part of the mountain open so that they can remove it, remove any track that's in the way, remove the Yeti, break apart the foundation it sits on, and then re-pour it. I just don't see that ever happening.

Cleaning up the Yeti, sure.

G00fyDad

I see them leaving it as-is. Even if they do a major refurb on Everest, I think the Yeti will, at best, be cleaned up (skin taken off and maybe the bits that have wear that help with his limited movement refurbished). I don't see them ever fixing it. When it was part of the new ride and a major show piece in the ride it was important. Now that it's just "there" and people are going to ride the ride regardless there's no will to fix it and certainly no budget to fix it. People are going to fly by it on the coaster either way so, in their financial minds, it doesn't make sense to rip part of the mountain open so that they can remove it, remove any track that's in the way, remove the Yeti, break apart the foundation it sits on, and then re-pour it. I just don't see that ever happening.

Cleaning up the Yeti, sure.

Regardless of the intent by TDO to fix the yeti, they do not have to "rip open the mountain". The Yeti is completely removable without disturbing the rest of the ride structure. They aren't replacing it right now because most people are "okay" with the Yeti as-is. My belief (complete speculation) is that once Avatar is complete then TDO may, I stress mayyyy pull the Yeti out in favor of putting it back in the ride in limited motion capability.

montyz81

Was just looking at Disneyland Shanghai and noticed this picture:
roaring-rapids.jpg

It very much appears to be as big if not bigger then the Yeti and I would assume it will move (I haven't investigated it much). So if they are building the Yeti again (essentially), could this be a second attempt that will in fact fix the Yeti at some point? In other words, will they get the right information from this thing to come back and fix EE?

Doug Means

Was just looking at Disneyland Shanghai and noticed this picture:
roaring-rapids.jpg

It very much appears to be as big if not bigger then the Yeti and I would assume it will move (I haven't investigated it much). So if they are building the Yeti again (essentially), could this be a second attempt that will in fact fix the Yeti at some point? In other words, will they get the right information from this thing to come back and fix EE?
nope, that already also has strobes and has been put in C mode

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Regardless of the intent by TDO to fix the yeti, they do not have to "rip open the mountain". The Yeti is completely removable without disturbing the rest of the ride structure. They aren't replacing it right now because most people are "okay" with the Yeti as-is. My belief (complete speculation) is that once Avatar is complete then TDO may, I stress mayyyy pull the Yeti out in favor of putting it back in the ride in limited motion capability.

There are three separate structures in Everest, the ride track, the mountain shell, and the yeti and the 46 foot pillar it and its slide mechanism. The problem with its construction is the Yeti moves back and forth horizontally on a vertical structure which acts as a lever exterting a multiplicative mechanical advantage against its base (concrete). So tell me how you excavate and repour the foundation of a pillar without "ripping open the mountain"

G00fyDad

There are three separate structures in Everest, the ride track, the mountain shell, and the yeti and the 46 foot pillar it and its slide mechanism. The problem with its construction is the Yeti moves back and forth horizontally on a vertical structure which acts as a lever exterting a multiplicative mechanical advantage against its base (concrete). So tell me how you excavate and repour the foundation of a pillar without "ripping open the mountain"

#1) Because it has been said already (many times) that the problem is not with the concrete base, but rather with the sled that the Yeti is attached to itself.

#2) Even if the concrete were the problem (which it isn't) the Yeti could be removed and the concrete could be repaired without tearing things apart.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
$_35.JPG

post-2wheelbarrow.jpg

pic_work.jpg

NormC

#1) Because it has been said already (many times) that the problem is not with the concrete base, but rather with the sled that the Yeti is attached to itself.
No one has confirmed an actual fault yet. Some have said the foundation is cracked. Some have said the sled or armature is broken. Others have proposed other theories but none have been confirmed. What has been confirmed is that they CAN fix it without tearing down any part of the mountain because the AA was removed once already.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
No one has confirmed an actual fault yet. Some have said the foundation is cracked. Some have said the sled or armature is broken. Others have proposed other theories but none have been confirmed. What has been confirmed is that they CAN fix it without tearing down any part of the mountain because the AA was removed once already.
I thought the figure was just covered up, how do we know he truly was removed? If the lights are off, and a dark colored yeti, he could still be there and just not seen. :bored:

NormC

I thought the figure was just covered up, how do we know he truly was removed? If the lights are off, and a dark colored yeti, he could still be there and just not seen. :bored:
According to Martin it was actually removed at least once. I would like to see photos of that myself.

Brad Bishop

If that's true then why wasn't it just fixed years back? It sounds like they can just remove the Yeti, get in there and fix what's broken, and put the Yeti back and done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom