Expedition Everest effects status watch

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
As I said on the thread discussing the departure of Staggs, perhaps someone should ask ILM if they can fix Yeti. After all, they managed to build some cool droids....

Brad Bishop

The fact that you agreed that the yeti has been broken and has gone unnoticed proves my point about it being poorly designed. A ride should not have a killer AA finale that can stay in B mode without guests noticing and still be a show stopper. Everest as an experience is ho hum and I think it's only getting by due to it being one of the very few large thrill coasters that Disney world has to offer.

I agree with you.

The queue theming is pretty great. The boarding area is nice.. The rest of it is a roller coaster. About the only neat part about it is the lift hill. It's a good coaster but it is lacking as an overall attraction. IMO your queue shouldn't be the best part of a themed attraction. It's great when it's really well themed, but it's still a queue. It should be putting you in the mood/story/timeline but when you get to the attraction, it should be the story. For Everest that's largely lacking. You have a lift hill, a brief period where you stop and watch the film, a drop, and a broken Yeti.

I think even if the Yeti was fully functioning that the ride, on the whole, is still lacking. I think that people don't miss/notice the Yeti, though, because it isn't functioning. If it were reaching out at you, as it was meant to be, it would add to the ride but since it hasn't worked in nearly a decade that people just see it as Disco Yeti, and don't think any more of it.

Doug Means

I agree with you.

The queue theming is pretty great. The boarding area is nice.. The rest of it is a roller coaster. About the only neat part about it is the lift hill. It's a good coaster but it is lacking as an overall attraction. IMO your queue shouldn't be the best part of a themed attraction. It's great when it's really well themed, but it's still a queue. It should be putting you in the mood/story/timeline but when you get to the attraction, it should be the story. For Everest that's largely lacking. You have a lift hill, a brief period where you stop and watch the film, a drop, and a broken Yeti.

I think even if the Yeti was fully functioning that the ride, on the whole, is still lacking. I think that people don't miss/notice the Yeti, though, because it isn't functioning. If it were reaching out at you, as it was meant to be, it would add to the ride but since it hasn't worked in nearly a decade that people just see it as Disco Yeti, and don't think any more of it.

enough people think of it to keep this thread alive. LOL right. just think what this thread will be when the yeti is actually fixed? people will keep this thread alive with a "when will the yeti break" watch. As for the roller coaster as a roller coaster...i like it good enough to make sure i ride it multiple times when I'm there. not boring at all - and my family still has discussions to IF there is a loop in the backwards section. some of the younger ones swear to there being a loop.

Brad Bishop

Don't get me wrong, I like Everest and ride it when I'm there, I just think they could have done a bit more with the attraction part.

I think back to Big Thunder or Splash Mountain where, yeah, you're just on a coaster or a flume but, at the same time, you're not, you're in a different "world". Everest just kind of loses that after the lift hill. You're just on a coaster at that point.

Sped2424

Don't get me wrong, I like Everest and ride it when I'm there, I just think they could have done a bit more with the attraction part.

I think back to Big Thunder or Splash Mountain where, yeah, you're just on a coaster or a flume but, at the same time, you're not, you're in a different "world". Everest just kind of loses that after the lift hill. You're just on a coaster at that point.
Wow excellent wording ^ This is the very thing that sets everest apart from those classics.

Sped2424

enough people think of it to keep this thread alive. LOL right. just think what this thread will be when the yeti is actually fixed? people will keep this thread alive with a "when will the yeti break" watch. As for the roller coaster as a roller coaster...i like it good enough to make sure i ride it multiple times when I'm there. not boring at all - and my family still has discussions to IF there is a loop in the backwards section. some of the younger ones swear to there being a loop.
You're still discussing the coasters sections of a roller coaster though. Not any of the themeing. There are plenty of coasters around the world which are just coasters and popular. THe issue here is for a disney coaster I expected more when it came to the experience beyond the queue and clearly I am not alone in that sentiment.

Brad Bishop

You're still discussing the coasters sections of a roller coaster though. Not any of the themeing. There are plenty of coasters around the world which are just coasters and popular. THe issue here is for a disney coaster I expected more when it came to the experience beyond the queue and clearly I am not alone in that sentiment.

I think that the argument could be made that, "Well, Everest is a big coaster and is too fast to make any real theming matter!" - which was a point kind of made above.

My counter-argument would be: Then they picked the wrong coaster. They should have picked a smaller coaster, had it run a bit slower and put all of the theming elements into the ride.

To be fair, it took them decades to finish the inside of the Matterhorn. Originally you were just zipping around a structure inside a fake mountain. Today, though, it looks pretty good and works.

I was thinking about Space Mountain with regards to this thread and, while it's pretty much just a ride inside a dark chamber, it actually works. You could make arguments about how it used to be vs how it is now (some would miss the giant cookie careening across space) but I'm basically launched into space and it's dark and it's a fun ride. They have some stars and sound effects and all that but when I'm on it I'm not thinking, "I'm on a wild mouse ride in the dark," but instead, "I'm on freaking Space Mountain!" It's it's own thing.

With Everest, my brain isn't thinking that I'm on a train racing around Mt Everest trying to avoid the Yeti, but, instead, I'm on a pretty good roller coaster.

What's also kind of odd is how well-themed 7DMT is but how, at the same time, it still lacks. You basically want the theming of 7DMT but when you get off you want to feel like you had a full meal and 7DMT comes up short in that regard. Everest has the opposite problem. It feels like a full ride, it's just lacking thematically. They can fix Everest, though. 7DMT is pretty much stuck as it is going into the future. It will always feel like 1/2 a ride.

There are two other things I wish they'd change about Everest - neither of which will happen but still, they bug me:
1) The backward helix. It's OK but it just feels like a backward helix. Like the idea was just to eat up some track. The Rattler at Six Flags Fiesta Texas (Originally just Fiesta Texas) had a similar problem: There used to be the "coils" at the top of the cliff and the coaster would just loop round and round and round and it was definitely a lull in the ride. I got the "rattlesnake" theme and how the coils kind of fit that but when you hit is you'd just look to the person next to you and say, "In a few minutes, when we get out of the coil, we'll drop down the cliff and hit the tunnel - That part is cool!" - I know I did it.
2) I wish that they would have completed the mountain. The part of the mountain that faces the park looks great. The part that you can see from spots outside of the park just looks like huge, unfinished, towering warehouse mountainy thing. With Space Mountain it's Space Mountain all the way around. The same is true for Big Thunder. Splash Mountain, while it does have the warehouse you enter which you can see on Google Earth, you never see that anywhere else. You can see Splash Mountain from the Contemporary (top) and it looks like Splash Mountain. (granted, it's facing the right way). For Everest, there are parts along Western Way or even from the approach to the parking lot where you can see 1/2 of Everest and a warehouse joined together.

celluloid

opposite problem. It feels like a full ride, it's just lacking thematically. They can fix Everest, though. 7DMT is pretty much stuck as it is going into the future. It will always feel like 1/2 a ride.

1) The backward helix. It's OK but it just feels like a backward helix. Like the idea was just to eat up some track. The Rattler at Six Flags Fiesta Texas (Originally just Fiesta Texas) had a similar problem: There used to be the "coils" at the top of the cliff and the coaster would just loop round and round and round and it was definitely a lull in the ride. I got the "rattlesnake" theme and how the coils kind of fit that but when you hit is you'd just look to the person next to you and say, "In a few minutes, when we get out of the coil, we'll drop down the cliff and hit the tunnel - That part is cool!" - I know I did it.
2) I wish that they would have completed the mountain. The part of the mountain that faces the park looks great. The part that you can see from spots outside of the park just looks like huge, unfinished, towering warehouse mountainy thing. With Space Mountain it's Space Mountain all the way around. The same is true for Big Thunder. Splash Mountain, while it does have the warehouse you enter which you can see on Google Earth, you never see that anywhere else. You can see Splash Mountain from the Contemporary (top) and it looks like Splash Mountain. (granted, it's facing the right way). For Everest, there are parts along Western Way or even from the approach to the parking lot where you can see 1/2 of Everest and a warehouse joined together.

To echo the lazy feeling the Helix has, its just some random positive G's that angle me to look down at my side, which to make matters worse is not just dark lightly themed caverns and black walls, but I can see the structure and other parts of the track. Do you ever notice this as well?

Brad Bishop

To echo the lazy feeling the Helix has, its just some random positive G's that angle me to look down at my side, which to make matters worse is not just dark lightly themed caverns and black walls, but I can see the structure and other parts of the track. Do you ever notice this as well?

Yep - I've done the same thing.

CaptainAmerica

The queue is one of the best themed areas in all of Walt Disney World.

Doug Means

hmmmm the yeti is still broken and we all wish it was fixed, the queue is very cool, most people like that, the climb hill is good enough except lots of people don't like the hair tie thing (i don't even understand why a person would start that or add to it), i guess many people don't really think the roller coaster is that exciting? but i like it a lot! OD course the yeti is not fixed and a huge disappointment to those who even know that its broken. AND i agree that i wish the back of the mountain was a mountain! so some questions i have for anyone who cares to answer:
1. do you still ride it every time you are at AK?
2. do you think people will think less of the EE as avatar and ROL open?

for my family, my kids have been to WDW about 8 different weeks in 15 years. they have grown up loving Everest, Rock'n Roller coaster, Tower of terror, indianan jones show, and many other of the great rides all over WDW. we love Disney and find it hard to complain even when we see something not up to par. EE will always be apart of our AK experience. we like it as it is and know it will be much better when the yeti is fixed.

Seabasealpha1

hmmmm the yeti is still broken and we all wish it was fixed, the queue is very cool, most people like that, the climb hill is good enough except lots of people don't like the hair tie thing (i don't even understand why a person would start that or add to it), i guess many people don't really think the roller coaster is that exciting? but i like it a lot! OD course the yeti is not fixed and a huge disappointment to those who even know that its broken. AND i agree that i wish the back of the mountain was a mountain! so some questions i have for anyone who cares to answer:
1. do you still ride it every time you are at AK?
2. do you think people will think less of the EE as avatar and ROL open?

for my family, my kids have been to WDW about 8 different weeks in 15 years. they have grown up loving Everest, Rock'n Roller coaster, Tower of terror, indianan jones show, and many other of the great rides all over WDW. we love Disney and find it hard to complain even when we see something not up to par. EE will always be apart of our AK experience. we like it as it is and know it will be much better when the yeti is fixed.

1. Yes...actually around 5 times in a row last time I was there...I still need to get some thrill out of my time there despite the calm and serene settings...

2. Not necessarily less. They (luckily) are different enough and together will help to make for a more well rounded set of thrill offerings at the park. My great hope is that once the new Avatar stuff opens, that it will take enough pressure off of EE for a full shutdown and full repair/upgrade. God knows the Matterhorn at DL gets lots of shutdowns and love to be kept up to snuff...

The hair ties do get on my very last nerve...and I don't fully know enough operations details to know why they aren't cleaned up every day...I'm sure it is on the company's radar...maybe they will come up with some procedures or signing that will help put a damper on this (frankly) stupid and dirty trend.

For that matter...if they would like to get me a battery powered shop-vac with lots off extra extensions, I'll volunteer to suck them up while we wait on the track switch to rotate... ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom