Expedition Everest broken track effect removed?

Hula Popper

Isnt that the main point?
Why people always think that thrill rides are obligatory to make a theme park?
I keep reading many threads and its always "oh noes.. EE is down.. Animal kingdom sucks now" or similar things (good example is thrill seekers blasting the SDMT for being "too slow and not thrilling")

Yep. For example, Xcaret in Cancun is an ecological and archaeological theme park. There is what, two "rides" - the observation tower and a raft ride?

Animal Kingdom is a zoological and ecological theme park. I think it's funny when I hear/see people say how there are only four or five worthwhile attractions there, EE, the Safari, Rapids, Dinosaur, and the Lion King show, and overlook the trails and other animal and nature attractions. That's the heart of the park.

And sure, that's not for everyone, apparently such as the poster that referred to AK w/o EE a glorified zoo.* And that's another point. Almost all of this is subjective opinion. Personally, I think the zoological aspect and Asia and African themeing make AK is a really nice complement to the other WDW parks. Others would prefer it be stocked with more rides. It's all a matter of preference.

* I haven't been to a zoo that has a rapids ride, an EMV dark ride, a wild mouse style coaster, a 4D film, a show like the Lion King (or a themed area like Harambe), or anything like the Tree of Life.

doctornick

Yep. For example, Xcaret in Cancun is an ecological and archaeological theme park. There is what, two "rides" - the observation tower and a raft ride?

Animal Kingdom is a zoological and ecological theme park. I think it's funny when I hear/see people say how there are only four or five worthwhile attractions there, EE, the Safari, Rapids, Dinosaur, and the Lion King show, and overlook the trails and other animal and nature attractions. That's the heart of the park.

And sure, that's not for everyone, apparently such as the poster that referred to AK w/o EE a glorified zoo.* And that's another point. Almost all of this is subjective opinion. Personally, I think the zoological aspect and Asia and African themeing make AK is a really nice complement to the other WDW parks. Others would prefer it be stocked with more rides. It's all a matter of preference.

* I haven't been to a zoo that has a rapids ride, an EMV dark ride, a wild mouse style coaster, a 4D film, a show like the Lion King (or a themed area like Harambe), or anything like the Tree of Life.

I totally agree with your post -- and DAK is probably my favorite WDW park -- but I don't think it's unfair to expect DAK to have a few more rides in addition to the awesome live animal and nature aspects. There's a lot to do in the park, but it would make sense to have more than 6 rides (ok, 7 if you want to consider the train) in a theme park of this size to maximize the appeal to audiences. I'm not saying it needs to have 20 or 30 rides or that every ride needs to be a D- or E-ticket but it doesn't seem an unreasonable goal to expect something like 10-12 rides to compliment the shows and nature offerings. Pandora will obviously help.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Correct, the park wouldn't fold, but a decline in attendance should be expected. Factor that in with whatever the cost of the refurbishment will be.

Not to mention most of the guests that choose not to go to AK would go to MK resulting in more over crowding there too.

216bruce

I keep reading many threads and its always "oh noes.. EE is down.. Animal kingdom sucks now" or similar things (good example is thrill seekers blasting the SDMT for being "too slow and not thrilling")
Yeah, if all you want is thrill rides, come on up here to Cedar Point (40 minutes from home). Our economy could use the cash. As I get older I really appreciate the mix of theme, thrills, and a nice mix of attractions and experiences at WDW. You can only get queasy so much...

note2001

Even as a animal-based park, I kind of wish they had more animal exhibits. The safari is incredible, but a few more animals scattered throughout the park would be awesome. Maybe add some bears, koala bears, prairie dogs, African penguins, etc.

I think a few more animals and a few smaller rides would really help the park.

Although I agree the popular and iconic animals could make good additions to the park, it's hardly lacking in animals. See the list at http://allears.net/tp/ak/ak_anim.htm

(note, this list is a little outdated, but gives a good idea of what is there)

ABQ

Although I agree the popular and iconic animals could make good additions to the park, it's hardly lacking in animals. See the list at http://allears.net/tp/ak/ak_anim.htm

I never seem to catch a glimpse of the Galapagos Tortoise, and I do try every time. AFAIK, and I could be wrong, these are the very tortoises once found on the original Discovery Island.

arko

I am an annual passholder and go at least twice year, and have never been on Expedition Everest. We go to see the animals . The only thing that keeps us out of the park is the heat in the summer.

Though I do believe it would cost some good sized dough to fix the Yeti and therefore he has stayed at the bottom of an increasing ToDo list, I do not believe Disney would enclose him in such a way that it would be impossible to remove him completely. I don't think Joe Rohde himself would think to make the Yeti "trapped" design wise.

Contingencies dictate if he just completely blew out all his "pneumatics" or forbid caught fire and was a total loss, there would need to be an Imagineering way to efficiently replace him without taking apart the mountain.

So if there is a way to take him out, there is a way to get to his foundation, painstaking as it would be.

If you remember the Yeti's back is facing an outside wall of the mountain. He "swipes" at you just before you hit the outside again, or within a few seconds after if memory serves. He's for sure not "in the middle" of the mountain per say.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Exactly, theres also Xplore and XelHa, neither of these are of the heavy "Thrill type".

Kevin_W

I never seem to catch a glimpse of the Galapagos Tortoise, and I do try every time. AFAIK, and I could be wrong, these are the very tortoises once found on the original Discovery Island.

I never knew they had Galapagos turtles in AK until I saw one last week!

Goofyernmost

The park wouldn't fold just because a major attraction at the park is closed, but it would see a decrease in attendance due to the fact that AK has only a few rides to start with and, I feel it is safe to assume, people come to AK to ride EE because there is no other ride like it in all of Disney. Aside from EE, the rest of AK to me is just a glorified zoo.

It's Nahtazu
Of course it's not a Zoo. A zoo had captive animals on display for the public to stare at. AK is almost nothing like that. Isn't it?

Though I do believe it would cost some good sized dough to fix the Yeti and therefore he has stayed at the bottom of an increasing ToDo list, I do not believe Disney would enclose him in such a way that it would be impossible to remove him completely. I don't think Joe Rohde himself would think to make the Yeti "trapped" design wise.
The sad truth is that anyone that has seen Modern Marvels.. Walt Disney World, has heard Joe say that EE was built as separate units, but, had to be done as a unit because of space and location. That things had to be built around each other.

Goofnut1980

Only problem is, that'll put a huge strain on a brand new 'land'.

I hope Disney opens some other rides between now and then to offset the 'cost' of having a major E ticket down and a new land open at the same time. Something to soak up some people.

Hopefully. Maybe?

I can't believe EE hasn't had a refurb since it opened. It's almost ten years old... that's just crazy. My local amusement park replaces track and repairs cars and scenery quicker than that.

:banghead:

I agree, who would even go to that area of the park if it was closed for refurb.. There is nothing else around there because it is in a little corner... hmmm

natatomic

I think most people's issue with the park being mostly a zoo and not having enough rides is that most zoos don't cost almost $100 a day per person. Granted, I haven't been to a zoo in a long time, so do correct me if I'm wrong! But if I'm going to spend that much money, it would be nice to have more rides, more exhibits, more something. :)

note2001

They are. I believe all the animals, from the old DI were transported to the new version in AK (with exception to the parrots which at first which were sent to EPCOT for a few years before being moved to AK)

Let's not get crazy here, it's not like people are buying a one day ticket to just AK. Saying that it almost costs $100 per day is stretching the truth just a bit...

There are people.

I have a friend who accompanied us one year and who wanted to by daily passes each morning at the entrance to the park. (I put a stop to that before it could happen, but had to force her hand to buy a multi-day pass.) No, she's not dumb, just not one who looks for the best deal.

RSoxNo1

Even as a animal-based park, I kind of wish they had more animal exhibits. The safari is incredible, but a few more animals scattered throughout the park would be awesome. Maybe add some bears, koala bears, prairie dogs, African penguins, etc.

I think a few more animals and a few smaller rides would really help the park.

I'm curious if Disney views the animal care options the same way they view entertainment. If they add bears they need to get rid of lions. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Having said that, I would expect a push for pandas when Shanghai opens.

If only there was another site that has accurate animal information for Disney's Animal Kingdom...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom