Expedition Everest broken track effect removed?

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Not a good view, but you can for sure see the track element is in place.

What's with the train delay around the (yeti-projection) 2:00 minute mark? Has it always been that slow for the track switch/train to start up again? Yikes. That's almost worse than the strobe.

Regarding the broken track...What exactly did they do? Looks no better (or worse) than it did. Money well spent. Thanks Disney!

Last edited:

CTXRover

Not a good view, but you can for sure see the track element is in place.

Thanks for the link. However, although it was posted to youtube today, I do not believe it is a recent video. There have been new prayer flags hung recently during this refurb that are missing in that video (the strings that hold the flags are actually bare in two cases). See recent videos of the missing track for reference. Also, the 'bird on the stick', which was recently repaired is not seen in that video. I do not believe this was taken in the past few days.

Tom Morrow

Yes, that is not a current video.
Probably just a temporary holdup at unload.
Yep. With 5 trains operating, and a hold up at unload or load, the next train will hold outside of the unload station, and the next one after that will hold at the projection scene. This prevents that train from having to come to a hard stop at the brake zone before the yeti in the event that the hold up still is not cleared by that time.

seascape

Or they're going to skip Animal Kingdom and visit Universal.
I love AK. The safari and the walk through in Asia are extremely enjoyable for animal lovers. I wish they would add Australia and the America with animals and a ride or 2 each. The space by Asia is perfect for this and if they did this the capacity of the park would increase tremendously. My wife and I can spend a full day there and still not see everything. If and when they do this second expansion AK will be a 2 or 2 1/2 day park.

The only ride I would like built right now would be a lion king ride in Africa. AK only needs Pandora, Australia and the Americas and it could battle MK for attendance. I would also like a new parade.

seascape

Pandas really are the one animal that could "move the needle" and given the relationship with China, I would hope to see Disney get some for DAK. I know people have talked about putting them in Conservation Station if they got them and it would certainly be a good way to spread out crowds/get people to go to that part of the park.
Pandas. That is a great idea.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Yes, that is not a current video.

Yep. With 5 trains operating, and a hold up at unload or load, the next train will hold outside of the unload station, and the next one after that will hold at the projection scene. This prevents that train from having to come to a hard stop at the brake zone before the yeti in the event that the hold up still is not cleared by that time.

Seems like a good opportunity lost to wow riders when the train holds. I would think an easy (and I mean easy) fix would be just to add more yeti shadow projection in the event this happens. Perhaps have the Yeti run back across the track, "see" the riders, do a king kong style chest beat, before swinging off again. Anything to fill the void of nothingness while waiting... The hold up at show scenes really impact story continuity. Haunted Mansion counteracts this in effect by having tons of visual stimuli to keep us happy. Not to mention a perfect audio spiel for when something like this does occur.

I think the imagineers working EE realized this issue at the initial track switch and thusly added the bird on a stick to keep riders "entertained" during the unfortunately slow track switch. Same could be done during the projected scene. But that's just my idea.

natatomic

Seems like a good opportunity lost to wow riders when the train holds. I would think an easy (and I mean easy) fix would be just to add more yeti shadow projection in the event this happens. Perhaps have the Yeti run back across the track, "see" the riders, do a king kong style chest beat, before swinging off again. Anything to fill the void of nothingness while waiting... The hold up at show scenes really impact story continuity. Haunted Mansion counteracts this in effect by having tons of visual stimuli to keep us happy. Not to mention a perfect audio spiel for when something like this does occur.

I think the imagineers working EE realized this issue at the initial track switch and thusly added the bird on a stick to keep riders "entertained" during the unfortunately slow track switch. Same could be done during the projected scene. But that's just my idea.
I dunno, it might be harder to do that than one would think. How long would a train have to sit for it to be triggered? What if it's triggered, but the train is cleared to move one second later and now that extra "scene" was cut short for everyone? What if a train gets stopped there for 15 extra seconds and everyone sees the extended projection - but if those 34 people ride again and sit there for the correct length (i.e. A shorter length), they'll think they missed out on half the scene and get upset that their ride experience was cut short. No, I think that would cause more troubles than it's worth.

To add onto what Tom Morrow said, another reason they stop you there rather than let you continue to the next brake zone (this ONLY applies to a 5 train operation, btw) is if you DO get stopped there, you have NO momentum going through the yeti scene. It's suuuch a slow crawl once that train gets going again, it really kills the adrenaline in your system (it IS still possible for a train to stop there mid-ride though. But a lot more unlikely since they changed it to hold you in the previous Zone).

NearTheEars

Here's a very short video from today of the new broken track. I didn't get the bird. It popped up right after I stopped recording.

Rode it 3 times today along with several other attractions and trails then ran to my car before a big storm hit.

Mammymouse

I'm starting to wonder, would it be possible for Disney to reprogram it so only the arm and head would move? Or would that also put too much stress on the foundation?
I was wondering myself why they made the Yeti so complicated and heavy. Is it a case of an engineer totally overthinking the project? Couldn't they have done something more simple like the AA of Cap'n Sparrow in Pirates - not to mean simple in that I could build it - but easy to operate and maintain? Maybe a fine set of light up eyes with fake fur, teeth and claws on a light weight plastic frame of a growling Yeti AA, and a swinging arm may have been all that was needed to make the effect realistic in the fleeting few seconds it is seen?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I was wondering myself why they made the Yeti so complicated and heavy. Is it a case of an engineer totally overthinking the project? Couldn't they have done something more simple like the AA of Cap'n Sparrow in Pirates - not to mean simple in that I could build it - but easy to operate and maintain? Maybe a fine set of light up eyes with fake fur, teeth and claws on a light weight plastic frame of a growling Yeti AA, and a swinging arm may have been all that was needed to make the effect realistic in the fleeting few seconds it is seen?

I think it is what Walt called "plussing".

MotherOfBirds

I was wondering the same thing. Could TDO simply go in and patch/repair part of the yeti and get it moving at least a little bit? Limit the movement to one or two body parts, slow down the full movement, animate his face again, anything.

jarrod martin

I work at Animal Kingdom...and I ride the rides often.

I had also heard 2 weeks ago that the broken track was removed, (heard it from a roller coaster enthusiast). So, I wanted to go see for myself.

I went on the ride Friday, the 13th of June. I was surprised to see the broken track was STILL INTACT. And, I was also surprised to see a bird going up and down,..(which I've NEVER seen there before.)

That just goes to show, you can hardly ever believe rumors.

(and for anyone that might be thinking the Yeti was removed...it was still there)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom