Expedition Everest broken track effect removed?

Cesar R M

I think most people's issue with the park being mostly a zoo and not having enough rides is that most zoos don't cost almost $100 a day per person. Granted, I haven't been to a zoo in a long time, so do correct me if I'm wrong! But if I'm going to spend that much money, it would be nice to have more rides, more exhibits, more something. :)
Well, Zoos do not have broadway style shows like Nemo and The lion king.. nor extensive restaurants zones and rides, neither M&G and parade(RIP Jammi' jungle parade)

doctornick

I'm curious if Disney views the animal care options the same way they view entertainment. If they add bears they need to get rid of lions. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

I was was recently wondering if DAK's operation problems might stem from the (potentially) high costs of animal care? Unlike the other parks (well, except Epcot with the Seas), DAK has to have a budget for the animal care and perhaps this prevents them from spending too much maintaining/fixing effects on the likes of Everest/Kali/Dinosaur.

Having said that, I would expect a push for pandas when Shanghai opens.

Pandas really are the one animal that could "move the needle" and given the relationship with China, I would hope to see Disney get some for DAK. I know people have talked about putting them in Conservation Station if they got them and it would certainly be a good way to spread out crowds/get people to go to that part of the park.

MonorailMan

Lots of people have been blasting me on this thread, so let me be clear in my statements. If I wanted to go to a zoo and see animals (lots more animals than at AK), I would go to the zoo about an hour away from me. And it would cost only $12. The reason that AK is better than a regular zoo is because it has rides, show, etc. Personally, I don't enjoy sitting through shows, so I enjoy the rides. If EE was closed, the only other rides I would go on were Kilimanjaro Safaris and Kali River Rapids. Even with EE, AK isn't worth nearly the $100 it costs to get in. But in the end, it's just my opinion.

Castle Cake Apologist

In my humbled opinion, people who think DAK is only a half day park aren't doing DAK right. It was never meant to be another MK stuffed with rides, and it honestly shouldn't be. That's not what it's about.

I lose myself for hours in that park and often discover things I've never seen before. I could spend a whole day on the trails alone.

I also always find the zoo comparisons a bit ridiculous. Even without the rides, you're not going to find animal exhibits like the ones at DAK at any zoo I've ever seen.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
In my humbled opinion, people who think DAK is only a half day park aren't doing DAK right. It was never meant to be another MK stuffed with rides, and it honestly shouldn't be. That's not what it's about.

I lose myself for hours in that park and often discover things I've never seen before. I could spend a whole day on the trails alone.

I also always find the zoo comparisons a bit ridiculous. Even without the rides, you're not going to find animal exhibits like the ones at DAK at any zoo I've ever seen.

The animal exhibits are top notch to say the least. There are very few traditional enclosures with guests simply viewing caged animals, TDO went out of their way to fully theme each enclosure in a manner that gives the illusion of freedom from the guests point of view. I am with you 100%, I could spend a day or two just exploring the wildlife trails taking photos of the animals in a very detailed/natural environment.

As other posters have stated I would love to see some Pandas, maybe even a penguin exhibit because I would bet that most guests have no clue that southern Africa has penguins, in the Conservation Station area. It would pull a lot of guests from the other areas of the park and be fairly unique as well.

note2001

Running animal exhibits such as Disney does walks a very fine line between conservation and exhibition. Disney obviously does make money off of showing the animals, without them AK really would not exist in the same form we know and love today. Disney promotes conservation in words and in selling those $1 pins, but how much do they show us they really care, say, about all the animals in the wild that need our help every day of the year past present and future?

I think instead of adding more animal exhibits, Disney would be better off putting that money into true conservation efforts to stop poaching, to stop backyard breeders and to assist, where they can, in rescue efforts of animals in situations they would never have been found in if humans had not been here. Disney excels in film. I wish they would bring back films of these efforts to show in the park, update them on a monthly basis and not let them go stale. They should keep reminding us that the problems are not going away and we have to try to work harder every day than the day before to fix them. Disney's not big on making vlog like updates though, preferring instead to film something and forget it for a decade or so.

Now, to bring this post back around to topic.... are the tracks back yet?

Last edited:

dgp602

Just a thought, but I think this thread has gotten wayyyy off topic..

"Expedition Everest broken track effect removed.." Zoo vs. amusement park arguments almost deserve their own thread...

Disneydreamer23

HA HA Ill add to this. When I think Of a Zoo I do not think of DAK, A zoo is fun but after a while gets boring ( I live in Chicago and own a Zoo pass for days my daughter is bored ) I love going to DAK but after going to the zoo 6 times I am more like "UGH"

DManRightHere

Let's not get crazy here, it's not like people are buying a one day ticket to just AK. Saying that it almost costs $100 per day is stretching the truth just a bit...

Of course they do! My guess would be most people you see at ticket windows are paying for 1 day tickets. As multi day tickets are "too expensive". Lol.

Mike S

To fix the "half day park" problem after Avatar they should finally build Beastly Kingdom in the huge cleared area behind Asia. I've had an idea for a "nature trail" for this area called The Museum of Cryptozoology. In it would be audio animatronic representations of cryptids reported around the world. Btw I do like the nature trails and stuff, but most of the time the people I go to Animal Kingdom with just want to ride Everest and Dinosaur then leave. I really have no say about it.

Kman101

A lot of people just want to hit the rides, I get that. I think in all the parks if all you do is run from attraction to attraction you miss out on a lot of things. Sometimes it's nice just to relax by the rivers of america in MK, or eat at Flame Tree and enjoy the view of the water. Everyone seems to be in such a rush anymore (and not just at the theme parks). Take time to enjoy life a little (not saying anyone here, but it's clear to me that the world passes a lot of people by in their rushed daily lives and I see it at the parks).

I also think many just go to AK with the impression there isn't anything to do so they don't go out of their way to explore, or they've been told "it's just a zoo with some rides". You'd be surprised how many people take the word of others and not make up their own minds about things. And I get it, a lot of people just aren't into the trails or the exhibits, or even shows. And Dinoland isn't exactly very thrilling. Also there are many who don't want to get soaked on Kali. It's a big reason I don't ever ride it. So I can see how many would view it as a barely half a day park.

Goofyernmost

Of course they do! My guess would be most people you see at ticket windows are paying for 1 day tickets. As multi day tickets are "too expensive". Lol.
What you are saying has many truths in it. I wouldn't exactly say that all the people at the ticket windows are paying for 1 day tickets only though. They can pick up there "will call" tickets there, they can wait until they get to the parks to by multi-day tickets rather then carry them all the way from home or as you say, if all they are going to is the one park, it is cheaper to pay the full price then a multi-day ticket. However, I would have to guess that it isn't the majority.

MonorailMan

The North Carolina Zoo is 2,000 acres (4 times as big as AK) and costs only $12 and I have more fun and find much more to do there than at AK. Just my opinion... But yeah, this has escalated a lot from just the broken track removed for EE.

psherman42

map1_zps8a27ce79.jpg

You're welcome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom