Expedition Everest broken track effect removed?

MickeyPeace

She rode three times. When she told me, I thought maybe she was mistaken. Maybe you are both right.
If anyone is riding today, look out for it. I only rode once on Thursday. The Yeti appeared to have limited movement and seemed much scarier. I wasn't looking out movement which is why I'm not 100% sure. Since I know now that they are doing maintenance on Everest it's very possible that some testing might have been going on with movement on the yeti as well.

RSoxNo1

Yes, this is temporary "bad show". But it looks to me like they are working on the attraction without closing it. This type of work happens. I also wouldn't be surprised if the conversation took place about closing the attraction and the response was, "if we close the attraction and don't fix the yeti, they'll lynch us."

Mouse_Trap

Yes, this is temporary "bad show". But it looks to me like they are working on the attraction without closing it. This type of work happens. I also wouldn't be surprised if the conversation took place about closing the attraction and the response was, "if we close the attraction and don't fix the yeti, they'll lynch us."

I dunno, it's only the big Disney fans who are likely to even know it's supposed to move.

The vast majority of people will either not know this, or think they just missed it move. To be honest, if this wasn't the case then it would have been fixed years ago.

doctornick

I dunno, it's only the big Disney fans who are likely to even know it's supposed to move.

The vast majority of people will either not know this, or think they just missed it move. To be honest, if this wasn't the case then it would have been fixed years ago.

I had ridden the ride a number of times and have never seen a working yeti and never knew it was supposed to move. It wasn't until later, reading board like this that I even realized it was an issue.

Nonetheless, the ride remains one of my favorites at WDW. If they ever fixed the yeti, it might very well be the easy #1 to me, given how well everyone seems to regard it as an effect

jt04

I had ridden the ride a number of times and have never seen a working yeti and never knew it was supposed to move. It wasn't until later, reading board like this that I even realized it was an issue.

Nonetheless, the ride remains one of my favorites at WDW. If they ever fixed the yeti, it might very well be the easy #1 to me, given how well everyone seems to regard it as an effect

Same here. Seen the movement originally and the short lived restored version. Because it is tough to get a perspective on the scale of the animatronic and so it is hard to appreciate the engineering involved. It plays like just another special effect. The coaster and landscaping is the strength of the ride. And I would like to see other enhancements if they have extra money to sink into the attraction.

Goofyernmost

Much to the upset of many, it turns out that most people do not even know it was ever supposed to move and they like the ride anyway. Go figure! That said, it's an expensive AA and an effort should be made to get it working again just because it is there and it was intended to operate. They can take their time because there are so few that even know about it. They did, however, invest a lot of money in design and manufacturing/engineering. They need to get the most out of that investment and put on the show that was imagined.

Cesar R M

Much to the upset of many, it turns out that most people do not even know it was ever supposed to move and they like the ride anyway. Go figure! That said, it's an expensive AA and an effort should be made to get it working again just because it is there and it was intended to operate. They can take their time because there are so few that even know about it. They did, however, invest a lot of money in design and manufacturing/engineering. They need to get the most out of that investment and put on the show that was imagined.
My only worry is.. the structural damage to the yeti (as mentioned with the cracked base), plus the fact that the thing as been immobile for half decade(corrosion..etc..)... makes me fear it is beyond saving or will be VERY costly.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

My only worry is.. the structural damage to the yeti (as mentioned with the cracked base), plus the fact that the thing as been in mobile for half decade(corrosion..etc..)... makes me fear it is beyond saving or will be VERY costly.
I think that the foundation will be difficult because it is likely that they will have to completely tear it out and start over, but it can be fixed. As for the AA itself, well, it might require a new setup of hydraulic or air tubing (I'm not sure what was used on that one) and maybe a pump or two, but since the rest has been immobile it only needs some cleaning up, lubrication and it should still be like new. It won't be cheap and that is why nothing has been done and may never be, but, it's just because they don't want to, not because they can't.

docandsix

When working, the yeti made the ride. Much of the shame of its disrepair revolves around what a tremendous effect was lost when it went down.

RSoxNo1

The foundation issue has been rumored. As far as I know, this hasn't really been confirmed. I know @Lee had info about the Yeti not being properly lubricated (insert jokes here), what is the actual issue?

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
The Yeti was installed after the mountain was built, so yes, it can be removed.

-Rob
Removal of the Yeti is one thing, but if the foundation is indeed cracked as rumored, that's a whole other deal. From what I understand, it's on a separate foundation footing from the mountain and coaster, but it's in a very tight, enclosed space, so getting to it to perform the needed repairs aren't as simple as just a patch job. I would venture to guess it would require a re-work/build of the foundation, which would require a sinificant amount of removal of key infrastructure of both the mountain and coaster track. Of course, that's all just speculation, but considering the fact that it has sat idle for so long leads me to believe it's not a simple fix.

Cesar R M

Removal of the Yeti is one thing, but if the foundation is indeed cracked as rumored, that's a whole other deal. From what I understand, it's on a separate foundation footing from the mountain and coaster, but it's in a very tight, enclosed space, so getting to it to perform the needed repairs aren't as simple as just a patch job. I would venture to guess it would require a re-work/build of the foundation, which would require a sinificant amount of removal of key infrastructure of both the mountain and coaster track. Of course, that's all just speculation, but considering the fact that it has sat idle for so long leads me to believe it's not a simple fix.
Except the parks in WDW "sat idle" for almost a decade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom