Exclusive New Photos of Inside Everest!!

Lynx04

Yen_Sid1 said:
Over a week old. They still cover the track while they are still welding, spraying gunite, and painting.

Yeah, I am sure that it isn't hard to pull the tarp off when they do the pull through. Plus, they pull through is pretty slow so they can keep some parts covered until they get to a particular section.

peter11435

CoffeeJedi said:
actually, i think that the idea was originally to have the coupling to the engine snap and you'd coast down the mountain backwards without it (but then the BTMRR incident at DL happened and put the kabosh on that)
this idea originally came from Western River Expidition, but was turned into Big Thunder without the decoupling story element
I would be willing to bet that was never the plan for Everest and was only internet rumor. The fact is Everest was never planned to have an engine in the front. The concept art dating back to well before the TM incident showed the trains not having any sort of engine in front that would uncouple. I believe the plan has always been sort of a cross between what ogryn and pbc stated.

Madison

This is just a crazy idea, of course, but --

Well, it seems like everyone's assuming the ride will stop while some action happens and then plummet backwards.

Well, that first switch is immediately followed by a brake run which, in turn, is immediately followed by a long, inclined track. What if the train pauses for nothing more than an instant while on that incline -- climbing until it slows to a stop, then immediately beginning to coast backward. In such a circumstance, the brake run wouldn't be used to stop the train for a show scene, but as an emergency stop only. The switch would flip while the train was on the incline beyond it.

Crazy? Probably -- but it'd be so neat.

Captain Chaos

I'm just thinking, if the track is going to flip, what happens if there is a malfunction and it doesn't flip? Hopefully the train has some sortof detector on it and the ride shuts down so no accidents occur.

peter11435

dxer07002 said:
I'm just thinking, if the track is going to flip, what happens if there is a malfunction and it doesn't flip? Hopefully the train has some sortof detector on it and the ride shuts down so no accidents occur.
Obviously the system will be smart enough to E-stop if such an event were to take place. The train wil not be released to travel backwards untill the rides computers can verify that the switch has been made.

ogryn

Just a guess here, but maybe a current would run through the switch-track, and the brakes are only open when they have a current.

When the train enters, the switch will be complete, thus the brakes will be open allowing the train to pass. The switch then rotates, breaking the circuit, and making the brakes clamp. When it is in the correct position again, the circuit would be reconnected, and the brakes would be released.

Obviously this is way-too simple (and relies on the brakes being traditional style), but it could be similar. The main point being, as Peter said, there is no way that train will be moving without the switch in the correct position.

Lynx04

Madison said:
This is just a crazy idea, of course, but --

Well, it seems like everyone's assuming the ride will stop while some action happens and then plummet backwards.

Well, that first switch is immediately followed by a break run which, in turn, is immediately followed by a long, inclined track. What if the train pauses for nothing more than an instant while on that incline -- climbing until it slows to a stop, then immediately beginning to coast backward. In such a circumstance, the break run wouldn't be used to stop the train for a show scene, but as an emergency stop only. The switch would flip while the train was on the incline beyond it.

Crazy? Probably -- but it'd be so neat.

I think you are correct. I don't expect any show scene, maybe at the most some type of voice will come on to say something.

Obviously they will have some scenery, but the only animamated show sequence that I think will be seen is only the yeti scene. Everything else will be stationary or phonetic (SP)

Lynx04

ogryn said:
Just a guess here, but maybe a current would run through the switch-track, and the brakes are only open when they have a current.

When the train enters, the switch will be complete, thus the brakes will be open allowing the train to pass. The switch then rotates, breaking the circuit, and making the brakes clamp. When it is in the correct position again, the circuit would be reconnected, and the brakes would be released.

Obviously this is way-too simple (and relies on the brakes being traditional style), but it could be similar. The main point being, as Peter said, there is no way that train will be moving without the switch in the correct position.

It makes sense, considering that is the way most coaster restraints work.

Texas84

totodog said:
I think its just a decoy to make it look like you are going down the darkened tunnel and then it shoots you outside. The way the track is banked there doesn't seem like it could be switched very easily.
Exactly!

peter11435

Texas84 said:
Um... we have already discussed this and shown that you DO in fact travel down that darkened tunnel. You will come in from the outside, then head backwards down the darkened tunnel. The track rotates to switch and thus the banked turn means nothing.

totodog

peter11435 said:
Um... we have already discussed this and shown that you DO in fact travel down that darkened tunnel. You will come in from the outside, then head backwards down the darkened tunnel. The track rotates to switch and thus the banked turn means nothing.

After looking at those pictures in the tunnels and the track before the mountain was put around them, it looks like when you come in from the outside to go up the incline then back down the dark tunnel, you are coming from the innner circle of the mountain..not the outer edge. Is that correct? That would should really make it feel like you are going through tunnels and not just around the outside of the structure.

peter11435

totodog said:
After looking at those pictures in the tunnels and the track before the mountain was put around them, it looks like when you come in from the outside to go up the incline then back down the dark tunnel, you are coming from the innner circle of the mountain..not the outer edge. Is that correct? That would should really make it feel like you are going through tunnels and not just around the outside of the structure.
If I understand you correctly then yes that is correct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom