EXCLUSIVE: "Dinner in the Sky" for Magic Kingdom!?

jt04

You know for a website that has every thing to do with the happiest place on Earth, some of you people are just down right nasty!

If my company was holding a special event at Disney and i thought we could dine over the trees in Animal Kingdom, i would get Disney to look into it for me.

But maybe ripping the OP apart has made you all feel a bit better about yourselves!

This is a forum for people who are interested in all things WDW. It is also a place where anyone can express their opinions on WDW including CM's. Also, I think the one thing everyone here wants to see is WDW remaining the "happiest Place on Earth". The flying dining idea is NOT in keeping with that concept, period! Disney runs there own controversy free sites. Spend more time there. I believe the OP knew exactly what this thread might create on this forum. If you can't stand the heat Rosscoe.......:fork:

colliera

Imagination

The way a Blue Sky meeting works is no one is allowed to say no to any idea. The free flow of ideas is the important point. To do so would kill off an idea that might actually be the best idea.

Did Disney actually inquire about this? Dunno. Would it make sense to check out the possibilities and work out the problems later? Sounds like a plan to me.

"We are the music makers…and we are the dreamers of the dreams." - WW

ieffectfor_disn

I believe the OP knew exactly what this thread might create on this forum. If you can't stand the heat Rosscoe.......:fork:

No, I don't think the original poster was planning on getting bashed and rudely spoken down to by members of this forum. They were simply stating something they thought was new news, and they were excited about it! From reading some of the responses in this thread, I feel somewhat uncomfortable starting my own thread ever, for fear of being spoken to like I don't deserve to be here. I know this forum is here for discussion about WDW, but there's no need to put down others. I think we should all lighten up a little :)

Number_6

As has been stated by others, in the extremely unlikely event that Disney did decide to do this, it would more likely be for a special corporate event after park hours. It wouldn't necessarily have to be 11pm, though, as Disney closes parks as early as 5pm for their own events(MNSSHP for example), and if someone was willing to shell out the cash to rent the park for a corporate night, then this could be made part of it. It wouldn't be something that would happen during normal park hours, though, that would just be silly and inconsiderate to the rest of the guests. Have the officers of the company get to "Dine in the Sky" around 5:30pm and then have the rest of the corporate people show up around 7pm or so. Again, not that they would do it, but if they did...

Teenchy

Cant believe I'm posting on this thread. But here goes.

Although I doubt this would ever get a greenlight, I actually would love to try it. I love to try new, unique experiences. And I could see others paying top dollar for the experience as well. I dont think it would ever be placed within a park for safety and many other reasons.

But think of the views you have when you eat at Calf.Grill. Just add that same perspective at being able to eat "in the sky" while watching Illuminations, or above the Savannah, etc, etc,.

I think there are many places that this crane could be "pulled up to" which are outside of guests views from within the park that would still provide incredible views of the parks for the "dinner in the sky guest".

If it could make $$ it could be considered, but again although I would love to try it, I dont think Disney would want to deal with the risks and liabilities.

P.S. After seeing how much I spent for my Disney wedding and I'm know others who probably spent alot more, not to mention companies who probably spend a ton for events, I could see there would be some interest. With some extra $$ burning a whole in my pocket I would do an afterhours event "floating above the castle!

jt04

No, I don't think the original poster was planning on getting bashed and rudely spoken down to by members of this forum. They were simply stating something they thought was new news, and they were excited about it! From reading some of the responses in this thread, I feel somewhat uncomfortable starting my own thread ever, for fear of being spoken to like I don't deserve to be here. I know this forum is here for discussion about WDW, but there's no need to put down others. I think we should all lighten up a little :)

I would like to hear from the OP about that. People are not "talking down" to the OP as much as they are talking down to this ridiculous CONCEPT. There ARE sudden thunderstorms in Florida, duh! I equate this "attraction" to a cell phone ringing in the middle of a movie. Kinda ruins the magic, can't it? The one thing people should "lighten up on" is the idea that if you question an idea or a concept then it somehow is a personal attack. THAT is PC at it's most sinister. Can't we all just grow up a little bit?:cool:

colliera

Where's the Magic?

"...a new fantastic point of view. No one to tell us no, or where to go, or say we're only dreaming." - Aladdin, A Whole New World.

The first time I went to Epcot and saw the fountain outside the Imagaination Pavillion I commented to my daughter, "That waterfall is going backwards!" A nearby CM said, "That's right!" I'm ashamed to admit my next comment was, "But that's impossible!" My brain refused to believe my own eyes. I messed up my own magic moment of discovery the CM was trying reinforce. I have learned better since then.

Can you see a crane at night if it's painted black? Could the suspended platform be a giant magic carpet? Does the Florida weather stop preperations for the 3 o'clock parade or the nightly fireworks? Can the castle become a giant cake? (Woops! Sorry about that one).

Given some time, resources, and creativity there isn't any reason this wouldn't work and not be magical.

SeanC

I think that those of us who are discussing the reactions to this idea are expressing an opinion that while this idea may seem silly or unrealistic, those who feel strongly about it are making intense statements categorically stating that it will never happen PERIOD and alluding to the opinion that this is the stupidist thing in the world ever...while its always tough to tell someone's emotion by reading text, its seems that the reactions are unusually vitriolic for what is simply someone checking on insurance costs for an idea that someone floated at some meeting somewhere in the Disney Company. Hell for all we know, Iger wants to have an unusual board meeting with some flair...we don't know if its for guests, corporate events, internal events, what department it originated out of, or if it was just some whim. Again it just seems it has created alot of emotion in the posters who are somehow offended by the idea. And some of us are noting that seems odd and a bit overreactive.

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
And who says the "crane" has to be up all day long? :shrug:

I could very easily see a crane over in the backstage area behind MS and the entrance into Tomorrowland area (behind the Ice Cream store). It's put down during the day, and then up after dark. It wouldn't have to have any "real big" lights on it as it wouldn't be tall enough for it to be in the way of any airspace (more in the line of tea lights). Also from that area - they could make it off limits while the "dinner table" is in use.
The view from over MS and then facing the Castle would be pretty great from right there.

And as for the backstage area...that area alone is already pretty visable from the train / monorail / any where from the side of the Contmpry facing the MK. On top of that - you are only granting access to 20 or less guest's a night (there are three times as many more that take the backstage tours they already offer during a regular day).

I could see how Disney would might want to inquire into this - and then the thought of charging an "arm and a leg" for it.

As I always say - if you don't ask the question, you can never be told yes, or no, for that matter.

My personal opinion of this - I don't know just yet. If it were done correctly - I could see it being huge. One thing done wrong - it's gone and never talked about again. I could very easily see how this is something that I might be interested in, if the price were right. I mean-it's not something you would want to do every day, but given a once in a life time chance...sure I'd be the next one up there!

Epcotrob

Pluto in Atlanta beat me to the location by a few min but here is my two cents anyway

I guess I am one that think this could work. Who says it has to be suspended 200 feet above the castle. I was thinking of places I would like to do this. Heres what I came up with. They could raise you up mabye 50 to 75 feet over the moat to the left of the Noodle Station. ( looking at the castle from the Noodle Station) and do a desert viewing of Wishes. (With a special fly by from Tinkerbell) I can seriously see this in some form in the parks. Not for a lengthy dinner but a shorter desert package type of thing. As for the tacky crane Disney does a great job of hiding things.

I really dont think we will ever see anything like this, but I think it would be a fun thing to do. As for droping things they could put a net below the platform. Do I think they should put the platform over guest ares. NO. I can see it over lakes and the moat where there is no guests below you.

Just my opinion on the matter.

sleepybear

Although I doubt this would ever get a greenlight, I actually would love to try it. I love to try new, unique experiences.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Yes, it's silly and likely will never, ever happen. But imagine how cool it would be to float like that over Main Street at night. It would be like the end of Soarin', only in real life. I, for one, would love to see that.

Krimedog

as bull of a rumor this is, and in no way do i see Disney ever doing this, i would also love to try it. Im an adrenaline junky, being suspended in air while eating your dinner with an incredible view of the whole Magic Kingdom. you people have to admit, it would be a great experience to do, probably one of the best in Disney.

BUt will Disney ever do this, i think not. Magic Kingdom is lit up at night, so whoever said you would not be able to see a crane, you would be. The crane would also ruin the sight of cinderella castle if they parked the crane on Main. Which the sight from Grand Floridian, Polynesian, contemporary etc. is very nice at any point of the day or night. If anything, the crane idea would probably ________ off those late night people who have a view.

thats just my two cents

One question though, how do they serve you?

DisneyDellsDude

What if you park the crane behind the buildings on Main Street!? It would be down for the entire day, then they would just raise it up when people are eating. Then they wouldn't be over any park guests. They could just raise you to a bit over the buildings, and it wouldn't be an intrusion to regular park guests at all, and still offer a quite unique dinner experience for the people eating in the air.

Rosscoe(AU)

This is a forum for people who are interested in all things WDW. It is also a place where anyone can express their opinions on WDW including CM's. Also, I think the one thing everyone here wants to see is WDW remaining the "happiest Place on Earth". The flying dining idea is NOT in keeping with that concept, period! Disney runs there own controversy free sites. Spend more time there. I believe the OP knew exactly what this thread might create on this forum. If you can't stand the heat Rosscoe.......:fork:

Did that make you feel better?

I mean really, how does a flying dinning concept not fit in with a place that is all about magic?

But as long as you feel better about yourself, thats all that matters, you nasty little waste of space.

Jose Eber

^ lovely comment, really. (sarcasm).

Personally I think its tacky. And because I think its tacky I could absolutely believe Disney leadership is seriously looking into this.

They probably think its fantastic, and necessary.

fyn

Would Disney ever do this? Most likely not.

Is it possible someone from the company called to inquire about it, in *some* capacity? Sure.

Thread closed?

PLTram

I'd say this would be suited more to some 1950's Boardwalk stunt in Atlantic City, not in the middle of the Magic Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom